What are some tips to making a good relationship work? | INFJ Forum

What are some tips to making a good relationship work?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What are some tips or rules to making a good relationship work?

Reactions: Gaze
Doing the same activities together frequently or being social in the same places together. Being each other's playmate, and also being part of the same social group reinforces both the playfulness of love connection, and the feelings of belonging with and being part of the other's life in a meaningful way.

Doing things together, but also giving each other space now and then.

Engaging in small talk regularly just to keep the connection going.

Open communication. Lots of it. About things that matter, not just blather. Even, often especially, if it's awkward.

Open communication. Lots of it. About things that matter, not just blather. Even, often especially, if it's awkward.
Yes, especially if something about the other person bugs you, and vice versa. Doing this, helps you take a look at yourselves and compromise with what you want from each other.

Having skills and traits that compliment the other partner, and help improve their lives by just being together.

Being willing to try things each other likes just once even if it's not your favorite thing.

Last edited:
remembering that it's the quality of the time you spend with someone, rather than the quantity, that matters

Pay attention to each other's emotions and be willing to try and understand each other's point of view even if it seems stupid and ridiculous at first.

Liking the other person.

Reactions: Gaze
I don't know much about relationships, but I guess there also needs to be acceptance of your partners faults and insecurities, and being able to live with them.

Do not play mind-games for control.
Do not yell at one another.
Be honest and transparent.
Find a common goal and work toward it together.
Never take one another for granted.
Make small (and sometimes large) sacrifices to show your love and affection. (For example, letting the other person have the last piece of cake or the only cold bottle of water in the fridge.)
Swallow your pride. This doesn't mean just admitting you're wrong, but also allowing yourself to be vulnerable by sharing the parts of yourself you would normally keep hidden.

Reactions: aeon and invisible
1. Having a similar set of expectations.
2. Having the resources to meet those expectations.

Be Chaz ;)
(hee hee)

Reactions: 88chaz88
You never stop appreciating one another.
If someone treats you super great and you grow used to it you get in the mindset that that person is always that way and so it is normal, not super great and all the things you were appreciative in the beginning go unappreciated and you get pissed when they stop happening and bad things happen.

This is lengthy and long-winded. I apologize.

You never stop appreciating one another.
If someone treats you super great and you grow used to it you get in the mindset that that person is always that way and so it is normal, not super great and all the things you were appreciative in the beginning go unappreciated and you get pissed when they stop happening and bad things happen.

I agree with this. Many relationships begin to fall apart once you start taking your partner for granted.

I think the above goes with the idea to not expect partners to always be mr. or ms. perfect in order for them to feel appreciated or loved.