Weird cognitive functions results | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Weird cognitive functions results

I'm just thinking about type in terms of the actual neurology. This article explains one side of it pretty well.

So the theory goes that there are only really IN types and ES types, and that extroverted 'Ns' have just learned to cope with stimulus particularly well, while introverted 'Ss' hare extroverts with social anxiety.

See, if you seek more dopamine than acetylcholine, you're likely to be ES rather than IN, and you can figure this out based upon your preferred lifestyle.

giphy.gif

If our minds were metaphorical computers

- Then psychology describes our behavior, the software
- Our biochemistry (dopimaine signals etc.-) describes our signal processing, the firmware
- And neurology would describe the functionality of our brains, eg. the hardware

Imagine describing the software purely from biochemical (neurotransmitter) processes. It may describe the signals used during our cognitive processes, but it won't really describe how our software runs.

I don't know much about acetylcholine, but from a first glance, its purpose seems to be mainly focused on primary functions of our body (muscles, blood, metabolism, ...) so I'm a bit confused there what the purpose of it would be
towards cognitive functionalities.
https://www.britannica.com/science/acetylcholine

A preference towards dopamine for ES types, that I could imagine as plausible (eg. getting your fix through a rewarding). Still...it's a bit far fetched.

Having said that, could you drop in some links to the sources/papers? I'll take a look at it as well. Got me curious.

- Our biochemistry (dopimaine signals etc.-) describes our signal processing, the firmware
- And neurology would describe the functionality of our brains, eg. the hardware

That is in fact a pretty influential theory in the philosophy of mind these days (functionalist computationalism).

You've summarised it perfectly lol

Yes, the inferior is the fourth one quoted in our stack, the way it's normally expressed. So take INFJ with Ni Dominant, Fe secondary, Ti tertiary and Se inferior. The question then arises - what happens to Ne, Fi, Te and Si? Where do they fit in, because everyone does use all the functions? Some people will class these as shadow functions that are less consciously accessible than our inferior, but this is inconsistent with the sources I described. There can be elaborate structures built around all of these functions for each type, and while they give a good vocabulary for describing complex behaviour, I personally doubt there is real psychological significance in the more complex examples. As an example, Thompson suggests the following for INFJ:
Dominant Ni
Secondary Fe
Alternatives Si
Te
Double Agents Fi
Ne
Tertiary Ti
Inferior Se
She suggests that under some pressure, if our preferred states aren't working, we start to use the Alternatives as well - we are still in a healthy state of mind at this point, but unless we have built up some ability with them they may lead us astray. Under still more pressure we start to lose control a bit and the Double Agents start to emerge. These may help, but they may easily lead us completely off our path and into a full blown inferior grip instead.

This is interesting because it does attempt to explain the way an INFJ relates to all 8 functions - but I don't like the linear representation, and I'm not clear it represents the relative relationships accurately. In particular, tertiary Ti doesn't feel right where it is located. But in any case, it doesn't make sense to me to be this precise about our non-preferred functions, which are probably far more blended together than this in terms of the way we can actually access them.

Ok, so this is pretty interesting, to be honest, towards the Alternatives and Double agents. How would we behave in a stressful behavior. (eg. the survival reaction). Currently in the middle of reading https://www.amazon.com/dp/1501101218/?tag=infjs-20 . There is a chapter that discusses a peculiar example:

Two different situations (short version):

A man was waiting at a train station and saw a person falling from the platform and saw the train coming. In a reactive state he went for that person and wanted to pull him out but got stuck as well on on the tracks. As the train was approaching he saw an escape hole on the side and pulled himself and the person in it, saving both.

A woman was waiting at a train station and dropped her backpack on the platform while the train was coming. She jumped on it to retreive it. As the train was closer she was panicking, people shouted at her to lay flat on the rails as the train would pass her by. As she was too panicked for that decision, she ran to the side of track so she would not be hit by the train. She did not survive.

Not taking genders or MBTI into account here, but you see that the 2 persons reacted differently on the situation when they were in a survival mode. Both were in a stressful situation and they'd approach the situation differently, resulting in a different outcome.

So I can imagine that when we are on a fight/flight or survival mode, we would have an instinctive switch in our brains that would jump into different cognitive processes than what we are normally used to (eg. our automatical daily behavior) if our usual behavior would not be sufficient in that specific situation.

Could you perhaps give me the stack for INTJ?

@Ren

This was my type me thread.

I can't stop taking the test because ever since doubt was put in my head I *have* to figure it out

@Ren

This was my type me thread.

I can't stop taking the test because ever since doubt was put in my head I *have* to figure it out

Cool! I'll be back shortly ;)

And yes I understand wanting to figure things out. I've been in your shoes until very recently and I had that unquenchable desire to settle the matter.

Reactions: David54 and slant
Cool! I'll be back shortly ;)

And yes I understand wanting to figure things out. I've been in your shoes until very recently and I had that unquenchable desire to settle the matter.
It's silly, actually. It's just a man made test and the result or lack of consistent result I get doesn't actually matter. It's so difficult to not want to cling to systems, even manufactured systems, to provide a sense of identity and structure. Humans want that; the brain craves it. Silly homosapiens.

It's silly, actually. It's just a man made test and the result or lack of consistent result I get doesn't actually matter. It's so difficult to not want to cling to systems, even manufactured systems, to provide a sense of identity and structure. Humans want that; the brain craves it. Silly homosapiens.

INFP. Case closed.

giphy.gif

Imagine describing the software purely from biochemical (neurotransmitter) processes. It may describe the signals used during our cognitive processes, but it won't really describe how our software runs.

I don't know much about acetylcholine, but from a first glance, its purpose seems to be mainly focused on primary functions of our body (muscles, blood, metabolism, ...) so I'm a bit confused there what the purpose of it would be
towards cognitive functionalities.
https://www.britannica.com/science/acetylcholine

A preference towards dopamine for ES types, that I could imagine as plausible (eg. getting your fix through a rewarding). Still...it's a bit far fetched.

Having said that, could you drop in some links to the sources/papers? I'll take a look at it as well. Got me curious.
That is in fact a pretty influential theory in the philosophy of mind these days (functionalist computationalism).

You've summarised it perfectly lol
So guys, where can we find the compiler?

Reactions: Ren and dragulagu
Why do infps constantly mistype themselves, I want to know

Aren't infps supposed to be super introspective and in touch with who they are??

Cuz you're a mess internally and you know it
Clap your hands

INFP. Case closed.

One thing that got me wondering though, is something you said years ago (doesn't make us feel any younger eh) about INFPs being usually "very introverted" compared to other introverts. I was thinking recently that @slant would have to be a little bit of an exception since she doesn't seem like a very introverted introvert, if that makes sense.

One thing that got me wondering though, is something you said years ago (doesn't make us feel any younger eh) about INFPs being usually "very introverted" compared to other introverts. I was thinking recently that @slant would have to be a little bit of an exception since she doesn't seem like a very introverted introvert, if that makes sense.

I don't recall saying that specifically, though I'm sure I did if you say so haha but I probably didn't explain myself fully properly either.
I think that INFPs feel the weight of introversion more than any other type.
I have more to say on this but I'm a bit busy currently.

Reactions: Ren and slant
I don't know if this helps, but I didn't *used* to be so extroverted seeming. Part of what's happened is that I'm actively trying to avoid escapism. I used to spend my time doing video games, watching shows, reading. But it wasn't healthy for me I was refusing to live life by doing that.

I'm very afraid of alone time now because it's hard for me to figure out activities to do alone that isn't some form of escapism. I get restless and anxious I feel like I'm not being productive enough or falling into my old habits and that I'm going to regress.

So I've definitely forced myself to go out of my comfort zone to change for a better life.

But I do need people. Maybe I am an extrovert it's just hard for me to conceptualize because I don't like parties or big groups or meeting tons of people at once. My understanding was that introverts could often have close friends that they spend a lot of time with. That's more my socializing style. I have 3 good friends right now that I spend time with weekly and we're very close. I have maybe 6 acquaintances that I talk to intermittently, we're not close, we see each other at events or text each other relevant information.

I don't know why it's so hard for me to believe I'm an extrovert, but it just is. It doesn't quite feel right.

Maybe this will help.

Strengths:

-high verbal linguistic intelligence as well as with writing

-inclusive and likes to build a sense of community

- make other people feel understood and cared about

-detail oriented with things I care about

-good at reading others

-embraces individuality in self and others

-punctal and on time. Never missed a bill payment or been late on one.

-creative and artistic

-Empath

-highly energetic

-analytical and philosophical

-independent minded and self sufficient

Weaknesses:

-stubborn and inflexible

-dislikes change

-dislikes authority

-does not ever notice the environment around; won't notice haircuts or changes in an environment

-have to have time alone and space to process intense emotions. Takes a long time to process these emotions

-all or nothing personality. Get stuck in Black and White thinking

-has difficulties going with the flow and uncertainty, frustrated when plans change last minute. will often not go somewhere if the plans get changed because I'm no longer "prepared" for it.

-extremely opinionated and know it all