Was/is he really joking? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Was/is he really joking?

I'm a lot like this too :D And I have a tendency to answer very sarcastically to obvious questions with a straight face -- example:
Friend: *Picks up bottle* Is this for drinking?
Me: No, I just think the bottle is aesthetically appealing.

People who don't know me are often really confused by this because it looks like I'm serious. I've had many cases where, when the above conversation would take place, the other person would cautiously and confusedly set down the bottle and stare at it.

LOL I do the exact same thing

for example: someone asks me: "are you eating that meat raw". And I'm first standing like this :shocked: and then I say with a blank face "ofcourse, I always eat my meat raw". And then they are staring at me "would it be through?". hilarious

Last edited:
I have a very sharp dry wit. Even my best friends have trouble telling when I am joking sometimes.

My motivation is simple. I love to make people laugh. I tend to see things other people don't. I have a 'stern' manner, though it comes from not expressing much outward emotion. I also like to make people think, because it is good for them. When you put all that together, you get someone who makes a lot of straight faced jokes.

The best ways to tell if I am joking:

Is what I am saying ridiculous, or blatantly not the case? If so, I am joking.

Is what I am saying making anyone else laugh? If so, the joke was for them, but feel free to laugh along with it.

Is what I am saying making you want to laugh, and the fact that you can't tell if I'm serious making you want to laugh more? Then I am definitely joking.

Lastly, is what I am saying making you intensely confused and frustrated because you can't tell if I am joking? Most likely I'm doing it to make me laugh.

You can see it in my eyes when I'm doing this. My vibe is playful and witty, even if my face doesn't say so. Also, my tone of voice and manner of delivery has a slight air of 'acting' to it, like a used car salesman. And lastly, at some point myself or others are going to be doing like my little money here...

:m146:

Don't worry. You'll catch on.

lol Well said.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've done things similar to the "is this bottle for drinking?" scenario. :) I find that with S types, especially SPs, thy just don't get it. It's really funny, and really annoying—you know, if you're trying to flirt. I also think that a lot of my close S friends trust me, and thus trust what I say, and because they can't read me they actually reconsider what I had just delivered with a straight face.
For me, I know that I am hard to read, and it is fun. But I also agree, that we don't like to blatantly hurt people, but when I say "just joking" to deflate the confusion, I also feel a little dirty—untrue to my self and to the point that I was trying to make.

Last edited: