Using your skills to get what you want? | INFJ Forum

Using your skills to get what you want?

Scientia

A true lady
Aug 28, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
I have always known that I can read people well and I also have a certain magnetism when I enjoy being around someone. This includes friends, teachers, potential employers, etc. I have power over certain people with this combination.

Recently I met someone for coffee whom I hadn't seen in years. We dated briefly in college and he cheated on me I realized very clearly that I could use my abilities to charm this person and pretty much get whatever I wanted from him. Money, security, gifts, devotion...

I didn't of course but it was tempting!

I have never thought this before because it was distasteful and I am disgusted with myself even now for thinking this but after the year I have had, I might be turning toward the dark side.

Have you ever used your skills for personal gain? Would you ever use what you intuited to manipulate another person to get what you want? What was the outcome?

@Scientia I told you that in confidence as a friend. or so I thought.. now your treachery is laid bare before all members... lol. Yes one time, just one ever I charmed one teacher. I NEEDED to play with that fire truck. I had waited all morning.. judge me if you will..

I was only 5 years old.. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have to admit I do. I work in sales. It is not the type of sales that people can pick something off the shelf. It is the type that people tell me what they want, and I have to find the best fit and order it specifically for them. It does come in handy...

I'd say the capability is there, but I have no real inclination to abuse it (we all do some manipulating-- just depends on whether or not your consciously aware of it). *edit*

Do boobs count as skills? I never paid for a drunk in college because of those babies!

I do not believe manipulation is inherently bad. If a change must be made it is far easier to gently sway the individuals so everyone is on board or heck so they even thunk it was their idea. Force is not the most efficient way most of the time, so yes I use my skills, but at work I figure it puts me at an even advantage to the older men who are automatically given the benefit of a doubt.

If it is something to do with my children or my safety ... yeah I will do what I need to.

#TeamSlytherin
#sorrynotsorry

Do boobs count as skills? I never paid for a drunk in college because of those babies!

I do not believe manipulation is inherently bad. If a change must be made it is far easier to gently sway the individuals so everyone is on board or heck so they even thunk it was their idea. Force is not the most efficient way most of the time, so yes I use my skills, but at work I figure it puts me at an even advantage to the older men who are automatically given the benefit of a doubt.

If it is something to do with my children or my safety ... yeah I will do what I need to.

#TeamSlytherin
#sorrynotsorry

I am going to guess, without the prerequisite self flagellation, that you are in no way INFJ. I wish I had more of this lol.

I am going to guess, without the prerequisite self flagellation, that you are in no way INFJ. I wish I had more of this lol.
ENTJ guilty as charged. But if ethics are set at a societal standard (with your own personal ethics expanding upon the baseline)...then no it is not wrong to use your wiles. If anything practicing with them in a neutral situation can help you better know when others are manipulating the situation which will allow you to either protect yourself, or counteract said manipulation.

However, on a personal level I can not presume to say if it is right for anyone other than myself.

When you already have the things you want, you'll likely manipulate to get more without even thinking there is anything wrong with it. Not only will you think you deserve it, but consequences mean much less when you have other things (have the things you want). There is no shame when you can simple ignore the people who shame you, and you'll have others who wont.

@Aether I guess that's my point. If you are aware of your power, is it ethical to use it for personal gain?

I never was before but I am now.

Ah, I don't think it's ethical if that's your sole intended outcome >w<

I personally feel I have more access to resources because of who I am in terms of my innate personality.. There have been moments where I have played to the interest of others and received benefits from it--- that said, the other person is receiving my help too. Similar/akin to the stuff we like to call "networking" i.e. using others as tools to benefit our own interests..

Last edited:
this is a terrible thread, begun by a terrible member, lol

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Mrs Brighton, I am sorry. For you @Scientia thanks for blabbing on me.. I will remember this betrayal..

:smilingimp: Hehehe

You are just jealous that you haven't embraced the dark side.

"Only a master of evil @Scientia .. if you make fun of my posts, I shall only become more powerful, than you could possibly imagine" Swings, pivots, raises lightsaber as tho in surrender, glances towards @Asa , and disappears as Darth Scientia prods at empty Jedi cloak on the floor of the death star tunnel...

"Only a master of evil @Scientia .. if you make fun of my posts, I shall only become more powerful, than you could possibly imagine" Swings, pivots, raises lightsaber as tho in surrender, glances towards @Asa , and disappears as Darth Scientia prods at empty Jedi cloak on the floor of the death star tunnel...

Oh lawd. You are so dramatic. Besides, what are you calling @Asa for? She will never reveal her true identity nor will she help you with this ridiculous campaign. Give up now. It's your only hope.