Undertones of Non Belief | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Undertones of Non Belief

"The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity."
-Carl Sagan

Hardly a ringing endorsement… and I really don't think that Einstein actively believed in God, it was more like he didn't feel that he could dismiss the idea outright. Regardless, it doesn't exactly have any bearing on anything-- neither of these people were famous for having talked to God.
Yeah I was about to get offended on Carls behalf, one of my biggest idols as a boy and the relusion-heads are claiming him as a believer? are you fucking kidding me? Sagan was a full on Atheist, just because he talked philosophically about meaning and human nature etc, does NOT make him religious at all. He was very anti Religion and definitely not a theist.

I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true. [Carl Sagan, The Burden Of Skepticism]

By the way when he says Pseudoscience he means religion and homeopathy.

1. I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides. [Carl Sagan, 1996 in his article In the Valley of the Shadow Parade Magazine Also, Billions and Billions p. 215]

I have a conundrum:

Why is it that when it comes to the science of nature, people use discoveries as evidence that God doesn't exist, cuz somehow knowing how something is done proves that it's not complicated, and if something isn't as complicated as we thought, well then a greater being may not have created it. I don't see why one conclusion should lead to the next. But anyways it's used as a justification to sin.

But then when it comes to the science of human beheviour, discoveries of the complexities of human psychology are also used as evidence that God doesn't exit, cuz somehow we are just sooo much more complicated than the basics of human nature laid out in religious texts. Again, it's really just justifying all different kinds of sinning.

Hmm, when i lay it out like that, guess it's not that complicated after all.
A whiplash reaction against most religious text's "THIS IS THE ONLY TRUTH EVERYTHING ELSE IS A LIE FROM THE GREAT EVIL" undertone.
Also, most book have in it its tale of creation, its tale of elements; that element X exist due to Y, etc, etc.
Coupled with the undertone, it gives a retrospectively false understanding of how the world is made, yet you cannot really disagree with it because by then you're morally wrong...

It's like the hacker rule; when something is deemed as absolute...that only makes people want to break it more.

However, I have completely zero idea about your conclusion; how does A > Understanding of science leads to the support of the belief that God doesn't exist leads to B > Justifying a sin?
The one way I could bridge this gap is by inserting an implicit argument C > Because God doesn't exist, that somehow means we are justified to sinning / sinning is no problem at all / there are no morals / other morals are deemed invalid because their sources are. That is a fallacy of fallacy, I think?

And in which case I -think- you're talking about a set of people that will be immoral and justifying, no matter if God exists or not.

I tend to think that science helps broadens one's understanding of God,
all those processes and all those reactions,
from the cosmos to the universe to the galaxy to the stars to the planets to this tiny little blue orb to its creatures,
and all its atoms, protons, neutrons,
and all the intricate, delicate chains affecting each other
creating an ultimately rather stable life....

It is, in one or the other way, heavenly. No matter under what banner you're deigning all of it; it's hard to deny that there are some higher power working for all of this...
Even if they aren't God; and more Science Laws, Serendipity, or everything.

but admittedly in some ways I glazed over the clash in morality and sociology within science and religion that exists, most of the time.

Last edited:
hi everyone :)

thanks for all your replies. i didnt think the post would invoke so many responses. particularly from people that admittedly don't believe in God. and im not being snarky, it really was unexpected. i thought only people that believed in the concept of God and the concept of sin would respond. but i think most of the responses came from people that neither believe in God nor the concept of sin.

yeah i really was trying to say that when people don't believe in God (any version) then they can;t really believe that there is such a thing as sin. and if God and sin do exist, they ma be sinning without knowing it.

i realize now that whether someone believes in God or not, or sinning or not, they def don;t believe that they are purposely sinning and that sinning is a good thing.

in my post i wasnt questing if God exists and looking for opinions on that, im sure that are lots of threads on that. and i wasnt looking to define sin, im sure there are threads on that too.

then posters starting saying that i don;t know who God is, or what sinning is. but that wasnt the point of the post. the point was that when people don;t believe God exists, then they are more likely to sin, go against His rules, cuz they don;t think those rules make sense or are worth following. i dont think that's really a ground breaking or new argument to make.

i used two examples where people become less convinced about the truth in religious texts. one was discoveries in natural science, and the other was findings in studies of human psychology. it seems like the more we know about the natural world, the less we feel we need to look to religious texts for any kind of guidance. because we can figure things out on a out own, we've stopped thinking we need God. it seems that some people feel that the world is simple enough without needing to believe in God to make it all make sense to us.

in the case of psychology, the case is opposite. the more diseases we define, the less likely we are to believe that we are just simple people making bad decisions. rather we want to believe we are just so very complex. there is a plethora of psychological ailment listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-IV), the standardize manual used by psychologists to diagnose individuals, which expands each edition. Here is an example of why i thinking defining things as disorder sometimes encourages bad behaviour or dare i say, encourages ppl to sin. In the DSM there is a disorder called Histrionic Personality Disorder (HPD). It is "defined by the American Psychiatric Association as a personality disorder characterized by a pattern of excessive emotionality and attention-seeking, including an excessive need for approval and inappropriately seductive behavior, usually beginning in early adulthood." Common people! okay maybe there are some people where this is so out of control that only medicine will fix them. its just this attitude of "this is who i am" that doesnt sit well with me. To me it seems like these ‘advances’ in psychology encourage people to sin. Cuz they think they have some complex disorder that only complex medicines can fix. And im not debating here whether inappropriately seductive behaviour is a sin or not, assuming that it is a sin, this type of diagnosis just makes it worse.

My post wasn’t intended to make people believe in God or make people believe that sinning is a real thing. I do believe in God and I do believe sins are a real thing. I just figured people that did believe in God and sins, would find the observation interesting and people that didn’t would dismiss it as nonsensical. the observation being discoveries in natural science that make the world simple encourage disbelief and discoveries in psychology that make human being seem really complex also encourage disbelief.

and from a person who believes the devil is a real thing, it really seems like from one angle or another, he really has convinced us not to believe in God or to believe that He has rules.

I thought that observation of mine may have been of interest to other people that believe in God and believe that sins are real.

Last edited:
yeah i really was trying to say that when people don't believe in God (any version) then they can;t really believe that there is such a thing as sin. and if God and sin do exist, they ma be sinning without knowing it.

i realize now that whether someone believes in God or not, or sinning or not, they def don;t believe that they are purposely sinning and that sinning is a good thing.
Now there would be things to clarify.
The concept of sins works as an external judge. Other values exist that serves the same function.
The idea that lack of belief in God will lead into a life of depravity is, to be honest, rather generalizing and offensive. I'm glad you realized that, apparently. :)

Regardless of whether people believe / subscribe to the concept of -sin-, most people have a sense of moral.
Regardless of whether it's a sin or not, people have their sense of right and wrong.
They knew that killing, stealing, raping is wrong (whether by virtue of consequences or by virtue of wrongness). Violence against children are commonly denounced and reviled.
Within a personal capacity, most people know to an extent when/where they are straying from their personal path; when they did something 'wrong' or whether they did something they shouldn't.
Now there are other, grayer areas when people differ. Race and gender equality, for instance; or gay rights, creationism vs science, pot use,...etc, etc

But these differences are not religious/non-religious; between an existence of a belief or an absence of one. They are moral differences, and the capacity to decide whether one thing is right or wrong are independent from religion.

then posters starting saying that i don;t know who God is, or what sinning is. but that wasnt the point of the post. the point was that when people don;t believe God exists, then they are more likely to sin, go against His rules, cuz they don;t think those rules make sense or are worth following. i dont think that's really a ground breaking or new argument to make.
Well, if you are judging someone with a rule they doesn't play with..... you were bound to find deviations from the rule when you look closely. That will happen regardless of the person's maturity and wisdom and virtues.

And for fairness's sake, it's not as if people who believe in God aren't more likely to sin.. there are some sort of twisted 'safety' that often drives them to sin, as if because they go to church every week / donate XXX amount of money to the church / volunteer every day within the church politics, God will save them and they got carte blanche to be douchebags. But I digress.

Yes, it's not a groundbreaking revelation. But can you even blame them?
You do realize that within their rules, it's you who are sinning, no?
/Dirty Trick : mirroring

i used two examples where people become less convinced about the truth in religious texts. one was discoveries in natural science, and the other was findings in studies of human psychology. it seems like the more we know about the natural world, the less we feel we need to look to religious texts for any kind of guidance. because we can figure things out on a out own, we've stopped thinking we need God. it seems that some people feel that the world is simple enough without needing to believe in God to make it all make sense to us.
I honestly think you're looking at the wrong people.

And possibly at the wrong things. I'm going to assume you are mostly talking about ethics and morality here and not, like, classic science like history and/or physics....?

One of the basic beliefs of science is that things can be wrong.
Just because something is explainable doesn't mean they are a)simple, b) right, c) correct.
The world is huge, and complex, and one theory that had run for a long time can be refuted and argued and made obsolete by a new discovery. Just ask Newton.
Old things are being tested, new things are being created. What does that mean?
That there are still questions. That the scientific world as a whole never stops searching...
And what the scientific world never does is to stop and accept an easy answer.

And in a way, they are running against religion, which often provides that easy answer.

But really, you're looking at another sort of people; those people who seeks the same comfort, security, and predictability religion gives...only they try to find it in science. Within a certain degree, it works. But at the core, they have similarities with people who envelop themselves in the warm embrace of dogmatic truths and never straying.
in the case of psychology, the case is opposite. the more diseases we define, the less likely we are to believe that we are just simple people making bad decisions. rather we want to believe we are just so very complex. there is a plethora of psychological ailment listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-IV), the standardize manual used by psychologists to diagnose individuals, which expands each edition. Here is an example of why i thinking defining things as disorder sometimes encourages bad behaviour or dare i say, encourages ppl to sin. In the DSM there is a disorder called Histrionic Personality Disorder (HPD). It is "defined by the American Psychiatric Association as a personality disorder characterized by a pattern of excessive emotionality and attention-seeking, including an excessive need for approval and inappropriately seductive behavior, usually beginning in early adulthood." Common people! okay maybe there are some people where this is so out of control that only medicine will fix them. its just this attitude of "this is who i am" that doesnt sit well with me. To me it seems like these ‘advances’ in psychology encourage people to sin. Cuz they think they have some complex disorder that only complex medicines can fix. And im not debating here whether inappropriately seductive behaviour is a sin or not, assuming that it is a sin, this type of diagnosis just makes it worse.

.....I don't get this one.