Ultimate Difference Between INFP and INFJ | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Ultimate Difference Between INFP and INFJ

Or that perhaps the theory is flawed and you are wrong?

Yes, there's always that possibility. Since we're on a forum chiefly dedicated to MBTI theory and its interpretation, I thought theory was the point of the discussion. Do you have any specific feedback?

Why do they share value systems if they are so different?

Catholics and Jews share very similar value systems, yet they are considered to be different religions in practice. It's all in the details. I've already explained how I figure INFJs and INFPs might share value systems. Fi is conscious Ni and Fe is conscious Ne. It goes without saying that they share right-brained judging functions-- they're both F's. They may arrive at the same conclusion, but in a different ways. That's the distinction of judger versus perceiver. It's all about the process.

What's your take?

Last edited:
Reactions: bamf
Catholics don't get confused on whether or not they are Jews and visa versa.

Reactions: the
Catholics and Jews share very similar value systems, yet they are considered to be different religions in practice. It's all in the details. I've already explained how I figure INFJs and INFPs might share value systems. Fi is conscious Ni and Fe is conscious Ne. It goes without saying that they share right-brained judging functions-- they're both F's. They may arrive at the same conclusion, but in a different ways. That's the distinction of judger versus perceiver. It's all about the process.

What's your take?
RE: bolded, is this something you came to on your own, or is it from some peer reviewed material? Would you say the same about S and T? How did you come to these conclusions?

Catholics don't get confused on whether or not they are Jews and visa versa.
Think of it as someone whose initial spiritualism were 'Christian' (NF; or INF), and trying to figure out whether they are Jews or Catholics.

I was on a cusp. My self-diagnosis is INFJ with elements of INFP; that is, some parts of my Ni took elements which are common in Fi users (search for identity or rather 'defining' an identity, a rather self-directed perspective, and heightened internal moral compass which is something consciously learned.) so this topic is always interesting.

IINM, a lot of attempts to decipher it tend to focus on the 1st and 2nd functions; what about 3rd and 4th function? that is, Ti vs Si, and Se vs Te. Would it be harder to distinguish, or would it be easier instead? (For one, I would shoot a hypothesis that INFx, due to their nature, tend to adapt and blend with their surroundings, rendering their 1st and 2nd function more versatile)

and just curious, [MENTION=1360]TheDaringHatTrick[/MENTION];
Furthermore, Fi is essentially a conscious expression of Ni. What Fi-types grapple with consciously is intuitive to a Fe-type and the reverse is true. What is a conscious process to a Fe is intuitive for a Fi. Their processes are completely inside-out and those are the very drastic differences in the way that they function.
Any specific examples of those specific processes?

Why do they share value systems if they are so different?

I was discussing Fi vs Fe with an INFP buddy of mine. It really helps me to flesh out how we are similar on the surface, yet very different underneath.

For example -- helping others. We both help others, even at the expense of our selves at times. For him however, when he takes on the needs of others, it is a conscious decision based on sympathy. "I feel bad for the guy, so I'm going to help him out". He has made a decision based on his personal feelings (Fi). I however, am compelled to help others, but not out of sympathy. There is no thinking or deciding to do, I just do it. For me, it is based on an empathetic connection. I don't feel sympathy for people, usually. Empathy is a different matter entirely. I act on someone else's feelings that I feel as if they were my own (Fe).

NOTE: The context of 'helping others' was based on a conversation about helping colleagues or peers at work.

NOTE2: Because the definitions of sympathy and empathy are a little vague or ambiguous to me, let me explain what I mean when I use the words. Sympathy is feeling sorry/bad/pity for someone based on their situation. Empathy is putting your feet in their shoes so to speak. I feel empathy and show sympathy. I think Fi users feel sympathy and show empathy.

NOTE3: In both examples of Fi vs Fe, this does not mean that either of us feels this way about everyone's problems all the time. It was a simplified example.

[MENTION=2172]Trifoilum[/MENTION]
The path of self-seeking is travelled by all xNFx types. It is not a unique trait of INFPs. At least according to Keirsey's temperament schemes. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: grt$5vb
Problem is, INFPs can be people pleasers and great chameleons. In order to fit in, we can be pretty good at mirroring other types. So, it can be tough to identify us in a crowd because although we supposedly value authenticity and being "genuine" ;D, we adjust ourselves to people and situations to make things easier for ourselves. So, we can appear to be strong Fe when a situation requires it. And our Fi, our main judging function, can make us seem like Js. I notice that INFJs are more likely to react quickly to something which bothers or offends, while INFPs will stew inside when something offends or bothers them, only to let it out much later when most would assume it's no longer an issue. In other words, INFPs internalize their hurts, while INFJs tend to confront and verbalize them more easily which is probably a function of Fe.

I don't want to take up the thread with personal examples but here's a blog entry I wrote describing my personality traits and why it's difficult to type INFP vs. INFJ.
http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22115&page=16&p=658854&viewfull=1#post658854

@Trifoilum
The path of self-seeking is travelled by all xNFx types. It is not a unique trait of INFPs. At least according to Keirsey's temperament schemes. ;)
IMO, yes and no; a significant part are overlapping

NFJs think of who they are in relation of what they can do. "I know my purpose!"
NFPs thinks of who they are in relation of their belief and identity. "I know who I am!"

Of course, that's painting with broad strokes. And a lot of factors are overlapping.

IMO, yes and no; a significant part are overlapping

NFJs think of who they are in relation of what they can do. "I know my purpose!"
NFPs thinks of who they are in relation of their belief and identity. "I know who I am!"

Of course, that's painting with broad strokes. And a lot of factors are overlapping.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. Without knowing how you derived this distinction, I cannot comment. From an observational standpoint, I've witnessed both INFPs and INFJs seeking identity and purpose. They just come at it from different ways.

Reactions: Trifoilum
I think it may be helpful to remember that, being brother types, INFJs will tend to look like INTJs.

I can see that information being potentially quite useful.

Reactions: grt$5vb
Reactions: acd
In fact, I think this is very good... This may be the defining difference. However, in order to notice the difference, you have to be very self-aware and very honest with yourself. We all want to do it both ways but there is a preference that we'd rather. Maybe you're 50/50 judging and perceiving :)