[INFJ] - Type Me + Mintoots edition | Page 15 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Type Me + Mintoots edition

The Irish make sub-par baguettes.
ohmygod racist!

Firstly, that was a very good argument @Deleted member 16771. This is a lot to think about so I'm coming back to this in a little while but I will say, off the bat, that there are some bits that are slightly confusing to me. For example, you mention my mentor, whom I deeply respect and have completely forgiven but there's no way I'm letting her into my life again. I look back to her influence because of where I am at in life right now, so I am having thoughts like: what would she do and what would my mother do? In essence though, I know she's not good for me and I may have put water under the bridge for us but I never really go there anymore. When I saw her during a colloquium, we hugged but I made a conscious effort to stay away (ergo hide in the hotel room) despite her clear effort to get me to (go out for drinks). She always gets to me because I always end up giving in but I am usually resentful. I was conscious of that so staying away from her is victory for me. I do admit that you get me a lot, Hos but I am slightly apprehensive because you are forming these views based on data (posts) I have provided here. I could be very different in real life (although I am not)--- there are aspects of me that you may have not seen yet. This version of my self that you are describing is very accurate but personally, I think I made her. I mean that I grew into her. What do immature INTJs look like? I try to look back at what I am like as a child because this may be a more raw version of myself.

What do immature INTJs look like? I try to look back at what I am like as a child because this may be a more raw version of myself.
Infant: sweet, innocent, and oh so curious. Defined by their curiosity in that pure Ni mode of wonder and hunches.

Adolescent: LOOK ON MY WORKS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR. This is when the Te tends to kick in fully, and the kid develops an argumentative, know-it-all, even arrogant streak.

Just a sketch based on my own personal feelings on this one. If you were a bossy infant, then that's going to be more of an ENTJ thing (dom Te).

your professed wish to be labelled as 'INFJ' is causing the actual INFJs here a deal of discomfort which they need to ameliorate by agreeing with you. This kind of disagreement against your wishes is uncomfortable to them regardless of what the 'truth' is. Indeed, if you were to look at my own type journey, I was surrounded by INFJs here who wanted to reassure me that I was INFJ because the idea of being 'INTJ' - a type I wasn't particularly fond of, and didn't seem to capture my emotionality - was obviously uncomfortable to me.

I don't want INFJs to be uncomfortable! ----please don't say that! When you say that, I feel it's easier to agree I'm INTJ just so I don't make others uncomfortable. Isn't that an INFJ reaction? But then, I also recognize that you're probably being tactical ----and that's INTJ--- and the fact that I recognize that is chilling. Either way, my beloved and very sure INFJs, please don't be uncomfortable with disagreeing with me. Dealing with dissent is not exactly a pleasant ordeal for me but sometimes it's necessary. It's not that I don't have feelings about it, it's just that I developed a survivalist reaction to dealing with it---which is to turn off my feelings and look at it as objectively as possible. Crap. That's Te, isn't it? Anyway, I am constantly open to discussion. Maybe that's also a work hazard, but I really am.

It's also worth noting that you possess a high level of objectivity in your approach to ideas, where you aren't particularly attached to one idea or another as distinct from either their truth-value of systemic 'elegance' - this is Te rather than Ti. Notably, it's also very hard to 'offend' you.

That's right. I am not easily offended but what actually goes on in my head is this: shit that's ooompf, oh, but wait, dissect situation, look at macro, okay forgiven---insert funny comment. This happens far quicker than the snap of a finger but I learned this skill. As a kid, I used to pore over these things endlessly but I learned to pick my battles. For example, my ESTJ cousin is very, uhm, generous with her criticisms and that really hurt me a lot as a kid---she's a meanie! Such a meanie that I found myself dreaming she was the demon. She's still this way today but I developed a survivalist habit to it. If I don't, I'm going to die in heartache. But you're right, I tend to be more objective.

With you, however, I sometimes get the sense that you do harbour this 'natural respect' for authority, though I also think this is something cultural that's throwing me off. The way we engage with 'authority' is quite conscious and unemotional, typically through this intellectual prism of 'power'. And if, by some unfortunate circumstance, the competence and worthiness of individuals does not match their allotment of 'power', then this can make us very uncomfortable indeed because 1) It's irrational for the proper functioning of the system of which we are part (Ni-Te), and 2) It's wrong/unfair/immoral (Fi)

To be fair, I am this way now but in the past, no. It could be cultural but it could also be my experience. When I was studying in what claims to be the most competent university in this country, I was always all fan girl. My professors still make me feel giddy, honestly, but when I started to work in the same environment, I started to see their cracks and I started to question my fan girl mode. I lost my reverence for my mentor not because of her competence--- I still give her that, but because her emotional quotient was out of hand. She treated people poorly and that threw me off completely. She saw people as mechanical pawns to a chess piece and when I saw this, I understood its importance but I was also filled with disdain. It's okay to see people as chess pieces---God damnit, I do this now, but it's not okay to coerce people or manipulate them to their demise, or to even attack them just because they aren't doing as they are told. I'm not like that. When my chess piece wants out, I give them that out. In fact, I don't have chess pieces. I have allies. I make sure to let them know what my itch is about and leave them to their decisions.

Now, I do respect authority. I hate my incompetent boss, but I am acquiring peace now by learning to accept that he's never going to be better. My adherence to the system dictates that even if he were incompetent, his entitlement to his seat of power can no longer be questioned because the voting period has long been over. He's already in that position and the right thing to do is to respect the order. It could be cultural, but it's my having to submit to the system. It's also a strategy. It's futile to keep attacking authority---it won't get me closer to the things I need to accomplish. Sometimes we have to accept things and wait for better chances. My values are strongly in making human lives better and for now I see that I have to work on a very foundational level to make any impacting change last. For now, that means respecting the current order because nepotism is also a system of its own. Oriental values don't frown as much on nepotism and it puts more value in authority, and there's a reason why I think Mulan is cool but I was also that kid who wanted to crap and pee each time the main character did something stupid----because why don't you just follow your mother you funky stupid cartoon!? If anything, If I were probably raised in a developed country, I'd probably be married with kids now. This whole me, now, is a response to circumstance. At least that's what I think. I want to get what I want because it's for the better and because nobody else will do it. I had competent peers in college but rather than help me change the world, they've decided to settle into their lives (which I think is a good decision, I wish I did that instead)---- but I only want what I want now because nobody else wants it. I was sent here by some divine order that I do revere, and so I obey.

I think, what you are looking at is this grown up version of me in the workplace. I don't have a very developed Te if that is the case because I am really not showy about my work at all. I'm very open here in this forum and I honestly enjoy it but that's only because it is separate from my reality. My reaction to my good work for example is not: watch, you peasants! ----although yeah, I have a bit of that up in my head, but in my heart it's more: well, yeah, it's necessary, and there's still so much more to do. I don't really hate on my peers, or think that my work is better all the time, but I am competitive and due to this I think in terms of strategies, but I question my motives and my intentions all the time. Right now I'm even questioning if this system I am imposing in the workplace is even right because considering culture and all the years this hell hole existed without better morals, why should my sense of excellence have to be imposed on such a crappy micro-culture? It's because I recognize that cities and societies have dissipated due to wrong values that I'm trying to do this. If I didn't have that knowledge, I would completely let this go. I do have to celebrate being a cock sometimes because lately I'm realizing that if I don't, my pride will bruise far more easily and my self esteem won't be able to handle it. I need to recognize my wins and embrace them if I plan to survive in this knighthood for a while longer. Fuck this whole caring about humans because it's the only reason I'm doing this. If it were up to me, I'd be living in a tiny house on a mountain next to a lake, never to see the world again, except through inurnet.

Also, let me take this to architecture.

My best friend is clearly INTJ and her output reflects this---constantly. Her works are very definitive of the structures she has in her head. For example, her personality is apparent in that her designs are always introverted (walled), her colors always consistently thematic, and her spaces massive. Her design logic is so systematic that I can almost automatically predict what her output would be like. I was always more whimsical. Whenever we worked together, I was the one who added the flair to the design but always in a way that her systemic aesthetic would emerge. This consistency in aesthetic is also extant in your creative work, Hos. Notice the characteristics of your lines and colors. The grace of the lines in your images are also very consistent with the grace and stroke of your font structure.

When I worked with the more creatively adventurous INTP, our designs just flew everywhere. To be fair, I did impose the more realistic aspects of the design. I was the one who put the limit cap on. By myself, my aesthetic is always more subdued and I always respond to the design problem at hand--- the needs of the client, the context of the site, the character of the function--- as a result, my works are more varied in range. My portfolio actually looks more like other people's than my own. My response to a design problem is more people-oriented, all the time. I don't even follow a certain precision when working. I always ask about the client--- understand their characters and work from there. My taste also evolves. I don't consciously take note of ratios and proportions with a mathematical sense. I follow my instinct in the same way I write prose. I just give it a go.

My INTP and INTJ friends design with a very strong grip on numbers. It's very similar to the Japanese precision of Tatami Mats and Kens ---- and I think that's why architecture fits the T zone, but me, I'm more Antoni Gaudi or Le Corbusier---- it's the soul of the structure that matters more. I don't need blueprints. Work has me indoctrinated into the sciences of precision and once I got the hang of that and related it to attaining perfection in architecture, I sort of made it a habit but it didn't come naturally to me at first. It's also the reason why my recipes are hard to duplicate because I always cook by feeling--- although I changed this because my family has really particular taste buds. Se.

I think this is most striking with Fe-doms. If you go to them for advice, they will usually find it difficult to put themselves precisely in your shoes; what they will tend to do is motivate you with the kinds of encouragement they would give to anyone coming to them. (INFJs are a bit more subtle than that, on average, but they have similar tendencies.) This can actually be very annoying to an Fi-dom, even hurtful. Sometimes Fi-doms don't even want to be told anything; they would prefer feeling that they are being heard, not impersonally but in recognition of their individuality.

This is not me but these are my best friends. When I have problems, I run to people for advice. I need people to help me work my way through it. It's how I found this forum because my INTJ best friends walk me through it, but I can sense it's laborious and mechanical to them--- you know like tired family? My INFP best friend would be very patient and would help me dissect everything but she has a kid and husband now and I don't want to add on her burdens. @Deleted member 16771 is making me wonder if she's INFJ though and not INFP, and if she's INFJ then I'm INTJ. I once had a huge fight with my INTJ best friends in college because they needed me to not poke in (a generic way) when they were having problems. That they only need me to be there and that's it (and that's how the tradition of my cooking for them when they needed it started to happen). When I was much younger, I had the tendency to impose what I thought was right and I hated my self. Ultimately, I think this is more E2. My hating the way that I was put me on a conscious journey to "improve myself".

Either way, I am open to being INTJ. If I am, I think I'd be mighty proud of myself. I am badass and unusual---- I give myself that, but this doesn't come off immediately. I am firstly pleasant when you meet me. I am forgettable which is probably why I don't get asked out on dates. People are kind to me so I'm also kind to them. I always find myself in long conversations with Taxi drivers even though sometimes it makes me want to roll out of a running taxi just to have some silence. People tell me their problems on the plane while my INTJ best friends start to tense up in panic because I'm talking to a stranger. LOL. (They're so cute, I miss them). I always have to be the one who talks to the receptionist at the hotel desk because people like me better because I'm fluffy. I've been called a marshmallow several times in this lifetime. My best friends refer to me as Snowball, that bunny rabbit antagonist on the movie the Secret Life of Pets. They say I look fluffy and I am fluffy, but I'm evil. LOOOOL.

In conclusion, Snep is right. I'm a watermelon.

I reckon I'd probably look a lot like you.
Dream on. You're 6'1". Beast.

Last edited:
I don't want INFJs to be uncomfortable! ----please don't say that! When you say that, I feel it's easier to agree I'm INTJ just so I don't make others uncomfortable. Isn't that an INFJ reaction? But then, I also recognize that you're probably being tactical ----and that's INTJ--- and the fact that I recognize that is chilling. Either way, my beloved and very sure INFJs, please don't be uncomfortable with disagreeing with me. Dealing with dissent is not exactly a pleasant ordeal for me but sometimes it's necessary. It's not that I don't have feelings about it, it's just that I developed a survivalist reaction to dealing with it---which is to turn off my feelings and look at it as objectively as possible. Crap. That's Te, isn't it? Anyway, I am constantly open to discussion. Maybe that's also a work hazard, but I really am.

That's right. I am not easily offended but what actually goes on in my head is this: shit that's ooompf, oh, but wait, dissect situation, look at macro, okay forgiven---insert funny comment. This happens far quicker than the snap of a finger but I learned this skill. As a kid, I used to pore over these things endlessly but I learned to pick my battles. For example, my ESTJ cousin is very, uhm, generous with her criticisms and that really hurt me a lot as a kid---she's a meanie! Such a meanie that I found myself dreaming she was the demon. She's still this way today but I developed a survivalist habit to it. If I don't, I'm going to die in heartache. But you're right, I tend to be more objective.

To be fair, I am this way now but in the past, no. It could be cultural but it could also be my experience. When I was studying in what claims to be the most competent university in this country, I was always all fan girl. My professors still make me feel giddy, honestly, but when I started to work in the same environment, I started to see their cracks and I started to question my fan girl mode. I lost my reverence for my mentor not because of her competence--- I still give her that, but because her emotional quotient was out of hand. She treated people poorly and that threw me off completely. She saw people as mechanical pawns to a chess piece and when I saw this, I understood its importance but I was also filled with disdain. It's okay to see people as chess pieces---God damnit, I do this now, but it's not okay to coerce people or manipulate them to their demise, or to even attack them just because they aren't doing as they are told. I'm not like that. When my chess piece wants out, I give them that out. In fact, I don't have chess pieces. I have allies. I make sure to let them know what my itch is about and leave them to their decisions.

Now, I do respect authority. I hate my incompetent boss, but I am acquiring peace now by learning to accept that he's never going to be better. My adherence to the system dictates that even if he were incompetent, his entitlement to his seat of power can no longer be questioned because the voting period has long been over. He's already in that position and the right thing to do is to respect the order. It could be cultural, but it's my having to submit to the system. It's also a strategy. It's futile to keep attacking authority---it won't get me closer to the things I need to accomplish. Sometimes we have to accept things and wait for better chances. My values are strongly in making human lives better and for now I see that I have to work on a very foundational level to make any impacting change last. For now, that means respecting the current order because nepotism is also a system of its own. Oriental values don't frown as much on nepotism and it puts more value in authority, and there's a reason why I think Mulan is cool but I was also that kid who wanted to crap and pee each time the main character did something stupid----because why don't you just follow your mother you funky stupid cartoon!? If anything, If I were probably raised in a developed country, I'd probably be married with kids now. This whole me, now, is a response to circumstance. At least that's what I think. I want to get what I want because it's for the better and because nobody else will do it. I had competent peers in college but rather than help me change the world, they've decided to settle into their lives (which I think is a good decision, I wish I did that instead)---- but I only want what I want now because nobody else wants it. I was sent here by some divine order that I do revere, and so I obey.

I think, what you are looking at is this grown up version of me in the workplace. I don't have a very developed Te if that is the case because I am really not showy about my work at all. I'm very open here in this forum and I honestly enjoy it but that's only because it is separate from my reality. My reaction to my good work for example is not: watch, you peasants! ----although yeah, I have a bit of that up in my head, but in my heart it's more: well, yeah, it's necessary, and there's still so much more to do. I don't really hate on my peers, or think that my work is better all the time, but I am competitive and due to this I think in terms of strategies, but I question my motives and my intentions all the time. Right now I'm even questioning if this system I am imposing in the workplace is even right because considering culture and all the years this hell hole existed without better morals, why should my sense of excellence have to be imposed on such a crappy micro-culture? It's because I recognize that cities and societies have dissipated due to wrong values that I'm trying to do this. If I didn't have that knowledge, I would completely let this go. I do have to celebrate being a cock sometimes because lately I'm realizing that if I don't, my pride will bruise far more easily and my self esteem won't be able to handle it. I need to recognize my wins and embrace them if I plan to survive in this knighthood for a while longer. Fuck this whole caring about humans because it's the only reason I'm doing this. If it were up to me, I'd be living in a tiny house on a mountain next to a lake, never to see the world again, except through inurnet.

Also, let me take this to architecture.

My best friend is clearly INTJ and her output reflects this---constantly. Her works are very definitive of the structures she has in her head. For example, her personality is apparent in that her designs are always introverted (walled), her colors always consistently thematic, and her spaces massive. Her design logic is so systematic that I can almost automatically predict what her output would be like. I was always more whimsical. Whenever we worked together, I was the one who added the flair to the design but always in a way that her systemic aesthetic would emerge. This consistency in aesthetic is also extant in your creative work, Hos. Notice the characteristics of your lines and colors. The grace of the lines in your images are also very consistent with the grace and stroke of your font structure.

When I worked with the more creatively adventurous INTP, our designs just flew everywhere. To be fair, I did impose the more realistic aspects of the design. I was the one who put the limit cap on. By myself, my aesthetic is always more subdued and I always respond to the design problem at hand--- the needs of the client, the context of the site, the character of the function--- as a result, my works are more varied in range. My portfolio actually looks more like other people's than my own. My response to a design problem is more people-oriented, all the time. I don't even follow a certain precision when working. I always ask about the client--- understand their characters and work from there. My taste also evolves. I don't consciously take note of ratios and proportions with a mathematical sense. I follow my instinct in the same way I write prose. I just give it a go.

My INTP and INTJ friends design with a very strong grip on numbers. It's very similar to the Japanese precision of Tatami Mats and Kens ---- and I think that's why architecture fits the T zone, but me, I'm more Antoni Gaudi or Le Corbusier---- it's the soul of the structure that matters more. I don't need blueprints. Work has me indoctrinated into the sciences of precision and once I got the hang of that and related it to attaining perfection in architecture, I sort of made it a habit but it didn't come naturally to me at first. It's also the reason why my recipes are hard to duplicate because I always cook by feeling--- although I changed this because my family has really particular taste buds. Se.

This is not me but these are my best friends. When I have problems, I run to people for advice. I need people to help me work my way through it. It's how I found this forum because my INTJ best friends walk me through it, but I can sense it's laborious and mechanical to them--- you know like tired family? My INFP best friend would be very patient and would help me dissect everything but she has a kid and husband now and I don't want to add on her burdens. @Deleted member 16771 is making me wonder if she's INFJ though and not INFP, and if she's INFJ then I'm INTJ. I once had a huge fight with my INTJ best friends in college because they needed me to not poke in (a generic way) when they were having problems. That they only need me to be there and that's it (and that's how the tradition of my cooking for them when they needed it started to happen). When I was much younger, I had the tendency to impose what I thought was right and I hated my self. Ultimately, I think this is more E2. My hating the way that I was put me on a conscious journey to "improve myself".

Either way, I am open to being INTJ. If I am, I think I'd be mighty proud of myself. I am badass and unusual---- I give myself that, but this doesn't come off immediately. I am firstly pleasant when you meet me. I am forgettable which is probably why I don't get asked out on dates. People are kind to me so I'm also kind to them. I always find myself in long conversations with Taxi drivers even though sometimes it makes me want to roll out of a running taxi just to have some silence. People tell me their problems on the plane while my INTJ best friends start to tense up in panic because I'm talking to a stranger. LOL. (They're so cute, I miss them). I always have to be the one who talks to the receptionist at the hotel desk because people like me better because I'm fluffy. I've been called a marshmallow several times in this lifetime. My best friends refer to me as Snowball, that bunny rabbit antagonist on the movie the Secret Life of Pets. They say I look fluffy and I am fluffy, but I'm evil. LOOOOL.

In conclusion, Snep is right. I'm a watermelon.

Dream on. You're 6'1". Beast.
First thoughts:
Hmm, well you're definitely very interesting and rather complex - you don't seem to fit neatly into these predefined categories.

What you write here makes you sound more like an INFJ, and INFJ 1w2 might be a good fit for you in general.

It's a good path to think about the aesthetic, because I think it's a much underappreciated indicator of type preferences. With INTJs, - and probably with me, as you pick up - we're trying to define a singular aesthetic, probably one which we've been chasing and refining our whole lives. It's the dance of Ni and Fi, which Te will try to figure out by systematising and formalising the whole thing under various structures. By contrast to convergent Ni, Ne will more happily explore different (often wildly different) themes and ideas. I'm not sure how INFJs work aesthetically.

For instance, I've been obsessed with the perfect shade of taupe for probably about ten years, which is part of a colour system involving biscuit/electrum and blue.

The angle of my font is because I'm attracted to that angle in all kinds of design, and if I ever design vehicles again they will have recurring overbite motifs in grills, engines and weapon cowlings, &c.

E.g. If you look at all of these things I find cool, they all exhibit that characteristic overbite - and my font/script does too. It's all part of a consistent 'design language' with my Ni sees and everything else is trying to materialise.

The way you describe the differences, then, is quite compelling... except for Ni vs Ne, lol.

MAYBE YOU AN ENFP, MIN!?

Honestly, I don't mind being INTJ. I think I even want to be INTJ. But as much as I want to be INTJ, I don't think it's me :( Maybe only slightly? <3

Why want to be INTJ though?

It’s not like you’re... an ESTP or anything. INFJ is a pretty great type too ^_^

I think the people in our lives also help shape us. You mentioned the different people that you worked with and I get the sense you try to get into their heads or see things from their perspective. So your colleagues, who seem to be NTs, primarily, can't help but have an influence on you. That's how it's been for me with certain relationships in my life. You try to understand others and in turn, you develop in ways you didn't realize you could develop. It's a chameleon thing. Or others unlock certain capabilities in us if we are willing to try to understand them. There is a lot of variation within any type, I think. I think there would have to be.

It has crossed my mind a couple of times, at least when she was new on the forums.
I'm pretty sure I'm an Introvert though. I just pretend to be an extrovert but i'm an introvert

It’s not like you’re... an ESTP or anything. INFJ is a pretty great type too ^_^

Because feelings! I also really like being INFJ, ofc.

I think the people in our lives also help shape us. You mentioned the different people that you worked with and I get the sense you try to get into their heads or see things from their perspective. So your colleagues, who seem to be NTs, primarily, can't help but have an influence on you. That's how it's been for me with certain relationships in my life. You try to understand others and in turn, you develop in ways you didn't realize you could develop. It's a chameleon thing. Or others unlock certain capabilities in us if we are willing to try to understand them. There is a lot of variation within any type, I think. I think there would have to be.
Yes, I think that's what it is. I also really love and respect them and having understood them better makes me see that, wait this is an awesome way of thinking.

Didn't you hear?

I feel like the social representation of the INTJ type is perhaps the most unfair of all the types. They are just as, or even more altruistic than INFJs. I think it's easier for an INFJ to justify that what they're doing is beneficial to all of man kind somehow, than it is for INTJs. Both are highly (equally?) motivated by the greater good for everyone, but the INTJ is the one of the two that is actually working their butts off to make positive/necessary change actually happen. At the same time, they are often the ones doing everything that others don't bother or know how to do. They are often the ones to take the weakest under their wings. They are often the ones that are prepared to save the day (or the world (or the universe)). They are often the ones that are willing to take the emotional hailstorm of merciless soul stabbing criticism for what they believe is right or must be done. All this at their own expense.
:relieved: