Twitter has officially violated the conduct of free expression | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Twitter has officially violated the conduct of free expression

@BrokenDaniel
We’re all just one bad solar flare away from an EMP that will take things like Twitter and make them into folk tales anyhow.

@BrokenDaniel
We’re all just one bad solar flare away from an EMP that will take things like Twitter and make them into folk tales anyhow.

Tell the tales of olde mate! The bards will sing epics of fortune and ill about how people needed thumbs as they sat on their asses, instead of bleaching their buttholes. But suddenly a light came in, and there was no bleach, nor toilet papers, nor thumbs to stick. Darkest night...

Reactions: Skarekrow
Tell the tales of olde mate! The bards will sing epics of fortune and ill about how people needed thumbs as they sat on their asses, instead of bleaching their buttholes. But suddenly a light came in, and there was no bleach, nor toilet papers, nor thumbs to stick. Darkest night...
640px-pieter_schoubroeck_-_de_verwoesting_van_sodom_en_gomorra.jpg

"After fire came with misery and censorship everywhere, some said as they lay in the bed with their fried asses up in the air, that they can still hear the birds twittering as dawn approaches bleblebleblebleaaach"

Reactions: Quiet
I couldn’t agree more.
So I think the real question that should be asked in this thread @JJJA is if there really are ANY true protections of freedom of speech and from intrusion on the internet at all?

There are no protections because none of this is actionable. Social media is garbage and none of this is a surprise.

Oh noes, someone unfriended me on Facebook. It's an end of the free speech and democracy, I tell you.

All of those "terms of service" agreements we click through because we don't want to read it, not only reminds me of the Southpark iTunes episode parody of The Human Centipede, but it also means companies like FB and Twitter are protected more than the people that use the services. Without a team of lawyers I doubt anything can be done aside from just not using their services. Which is exactly what I do.

All of those "terms of service" agreements we click through because we don't want to read it, not only reminds me of the Southpark iTunes episode parody of The Human Centipede, but it also means companies like FB and Twitter are protected more than the people that use the services. Without a team of lawyers I doubt anything can be done aside from just not using their services. Which is exactly what I do.

Not to mention that social media was never intended to facilitate the open exchange of ideas. People naively descended on it having this expectation for some reason, maybe because they thought it was just another venue where they could be heard, but that is not the case.

People took it upon themselves to use Twitter to disseminate news and opinions as if it's some kind of blog. It isn't. It, like Facebook and MySpace, is designed for trite social bullshit. The fact that they meddle with things is not at all surprising when there is money to be had.

Perhaps you think we've missed the point. We haven't. But you were right when you said we just don't care. It's Twitter... A service that people sign up for and, if they had read the fine print, can be booted for any reason. It ultimately sucks that this is allowed to happen, but the only way I could combat it would be to go on Twitter and make a stink about it. Perhaps that what all Twitter users should do. I'm not a Twitter user, however, so going through other outlets would work... sort of. To fight the demon you need to go to the source.

Perhaps you think we've missed the point. We haven't. But you were right when you said we just don't care. It's Twitter... A service that people sign up for and, if they had read the fine print, can be booted for any reason. It ultimately sucks that this is allowed to happen, but the only way I could combat it would be to go on Twitter and make a stink about it. Perhaps that what all Twitter users should do. I'm not a Twitter user, however, so going through other outlets would work... sort of. To fight the demon you need to go to the source.

All you have to do to see what Twitter cares about is look at its main page. It's very telling.

Twitter users are making a stink about it, actually. Verified accounts are for users like him that are in the public eye, to let people know that it's his real account, since there are copious amounts of fake accounts under his name, spam accounts, people saying bad stuff in his name. Consequently, droves of users have responded by changing their name to Milo's and changing their profile picture to his most recent one, highlighting the importance of the verified/unverified status. I don't personally use Twitter, but I can still see how this whole thing has been problematic. People saw it as what it was, censorship of free speech, and they rose up and responded. I think a reason why they felt the need to do so is that even though it was just this one incident, they want to show that this one incident shouldn't fly, and become a trend. It might not make a difference, but at least people are standing up for free speech. That's somewhat heartening.

Apathy is what makes history repeat itself. Don't let censorship become a trend, it will only lead to worse trends.

I'm all for free speech and standing up for it is commendable. I'm glad the Twitter users are speaking about it. I would join in making a giant stink, but, I refuse to create a Twitter account just to do so.

I'm all for free speech and standing up for it is commendable. I'm glad the Twitter users are speaking about it. I would join in making a giant stink, but, I refuse to create a Twitter account just to do so.

I've tried a lot of times to change things by "speaking out" about them. The fact that it almost never works gets old.

There's no "letting" involved here.

Precisely the contrary. People are actively making a stand, as hush quite rightly pointed out over the Twitter fracas. It's not just Twitter, as I already explained in a previous post; censorship only gets worse because people do nothing to prevent or put a stop to it. The example I gave on another thread involving a Wikipedia page is precisely what I am talking about, as well as social media.

Precisely the contrary. People are actively making a stand, as hush quite rightly pointed out over the Twitter fracas. It's not just Twitter, as I already explained in a previous post; censorship only gets worse because people do nothing to prevent or put a stop to it. The example I gave on another thread involving a Wikipedia page is precisely what I am talking about, as well as social media.

I've been trying to fight this shit for more than 20 years and you're telling me this now?

You youngins can handle it, if you think you can.

Yeah. Fighting 20+ years of bullshit that never changes. One day even my own children will be speaking out against the same things. History does indeed repeat itself. Humans will never change. This is an age-old argument. Maybe I'm just too old and to set in my ways, maybe all my "change the world" mojo was used up in the 80 and 90's. Bottom line, I'm glad people are speaking out about it. Someone has to. But I'd rather it be left to those with the time and energy to do so.