Twitter has officially violated the conduct of free expression | INFJ Forum

Twitter has officially violated the conduct of free expression

JJJA

Permanent Fixture
Jun 13, 2015
MBTI
Na
Enneagram
Although some of you may already be aware of how Twitter trends are usually emphasized by rather trivial matters, but the official powers-that-be have de-verified the account of British Conservative columnist Milo Yiannopoulos stating that he 'broke the rules' and not provided further explanation. I've been following his posts for over a year now, and he's been using Twitter like any other human with opinions: simply exercising his right to free expression. Well, it turns out that free expression has a few conditions on Twitter, and I can no longer consider it a supporter of such a right. The trend relating to this matter is called '#JeSuisMilo'.

It would appear that the following 'rule' is being used by Twitter administrators to block or de-verify specific accounts, depending on what they say: https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170425?lang=en#

There are many verified Twitter accounts which say far more disingenuous things than what Milo has posted, but he gets singled out and no viable justification has been given.

This, to me, is getting extremely close to direct censorship. No, his account has not been banned, but why would they give him a slap on the wrist for posting harmless opinions? This smells very wrong, and I'm not referring to my choice of toilet paper either.

Last edited:
RIP, verified Milo.

I wonder if this is the beginning of the Twitter purge. It likely is.

I do not understand why this is a surprise.

I read the policy and I agree that it's vague in the area of sensitive topics. It is most likely the legal team protecting the company but any use of things like Twitter, Facebook, etc. is really not ever free speech. By using Twitter, he and you and everyone agree to that policy. Is it possible that he tweeted something that was not released - perhaps you didn't see what caused the slap on the wrist? I agree it's strange that they chose to de verify his account. It kind of has the opposite effect but maybe that's what Twitter wants? More people going on Twitter to support this dude?

Their inability to still provide no reason when asked is rather sketchy. If you're not doing anything wrong, what's the harm in making that information public? Shouldn't they explain themselves?

Then why is this the first thread to discuss it? Because this forum clearly doesn't give a damn.

Not sure what there is to discuss. Either they or someone else has decided that free speech in this instance simply is not important. We have the option of nit using Twitter if they do something we do not like. If enough people choose this, they become irrelevant and either change their ways or fail and the become obsolete.

Their inability to still provide no reason when asked is rather sketchy. If you're not doing anything wrong, what's the harm in making that information public? Shouldn't they explain themselves?

To do that, wouldn't they have to reveal what he tried to tweet in some way and violate their own policy?

It’s like @Scientia said above…there is no free speech when you are using someone else’s service.
INFJs.com can boot you off and come up with a reason (just ask @hush she threatens me alllll the time), as can Facebook, Twitter, and whatever other various forms of social media people use to put their views up on the web.
Like Twitter was the last bastion of hope for your free speech (in 140 characters or less).
Wow….first world problem dude.
People will always find a new platform when there is a gap…and there is a gap…give it a year and no one will use Twitter at all probably.

It’s like @Scientia said above…there is no free speech when you are using someone else’s service.
INFJs.com can boot you off and come up with a reason (just ask @hush she threatens me alllll the time), as can Facebook, Twitter, and whatever other various forms of social media people use to put their views up on the web.
Like Twitter was the last bastion of hope for your free speech (in 140 characters or less).
People will always find a new platform when there is a gap…and there is a gap…give it a year and no one will use Twitter at all probably.

Eh? I threaten you never. o_O

You're the least of my worries, I can assure you. There are actual malicious people out there who seek to do, and have done harm to others. I worry about them.

Edit: Also, no one is booted off here for no reason, at least since I've been part of staff. No one "boots anyone off" independently. Every decision is made as a team, and you have to do something awful to merit that.

Eh? I threaten you never. o_O

You're the least of my worries, I can assure you. There are actual malicious people out there who seek to do, and have done harm to others. I worry about them.

Why just the other day you…
tumblr_lyvx0bQgf01qlbrqeo1_400.gif

It seems some people are missing the point. The rules of Twitter are deliberately vague and misleading. They are not specific and I've never felt entitled as to claim to use the service and expect preferential treatment. But it seems that some people that wish to report the likes of Milo Yiannopolous' account based on his opinions alone are expecting their own preferential treatment under the guise of the 'sensitive topics' rule.

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] It's nice to know that free expression is such a trivial matter to you. It may be a 'first world issue' to you, but to me it is a very serious one, as I've witnessed several YouTube channels and videos (some of whom I have been a long-time subscriber) be deleted without reason other than violating their extremely subjective 'Hate speech' rule in-which they draw their own ill-conceived line and delete channels based on complaints from Social Justice Warriors because they are expressing an unacceptable opinion which does not conform to the general consensus that is found on most social media. The purpose of this thread was merely to draw attention to the matter, and to attempt to bring the issue outside of the circle of trivia and into the more serious category, because a few accounts may not look very menacing (especially to people that disagree with the accounts), but that's how censorship begins, and it only begins as a small piece of relatively harmless internet account-bashing and jostling, but it could lead to something far worse.

P.S. - the moderators ban people for more justifiable reasons than 'coming up' with one.

Last edited:
It seems some people are missing the point. The rules of Twitter are deliberately vague and misleading. They are not specific and I've never felt entitled as to claim to use the service and expect preferential treatment. But it seems that some people that wish to report the likes of Milo Yiannopolous' account based on his opinions alone are expecting their own preferential treatment under the guise of the 'sensitive topics' rule.

@Skarekrow It's nice to know that free expression is such a trivial matter to you. It may be a 'first world issue' to you, but to me it is a very serious one, as I've witnessed several YouTube channels and videos (some of whom I have been a long-time subscriber) be deleted without reason other than violating their extremely subjective 'Hate speech' rule in-which they draw their own ill-conceived line and delete channels based on complaints from Social Justice Warriors because they are expressing an unacceptable opinion which does not conform to the general consensus that is found on most social media. The purpose of this thread was merely to draw attention to the matter, and to attempt to bring the issue outside of the circle of trivia and into the more serious category, because a few accounts may not look very menacing (especially to people that disagree with the accounts), but that's how censorship begins, and it only begins as a small piece of relatively harmless internet account-bashing and jostling, but it could lead to something far worse.

P.S. - the moderators ban people for more justifiable reasons than 'coming up' with one.

First of all sarcasm goes right over some people’s heads, but hush knew I was teasing.
Second of all the issue of “free speech” is not trivial or a first world problem to me as one can easily find many threads of mine or links I have provided for years on this forum promoting free speech and anti-cesorship…(go ahead, take a gander) I just happen to think Twitter isn’t a justifiably defensible representation of “free speech”.
And like I said, but you happened to ignore, if there is a gap, such as people being censored and enough don’t like it, the platform will move to something else.
Just say RIP Twitter.

Edit: @JJJA Dude, you accused me of putting words in your mouth in another thread, don’t try that shit back at me.

Last edited:
It’s like @Scientia

This is exactly what i think.
All this "rights" and "personal freedom" sometimes get out of context. You already depend on a platform managed by people to express your opinions which there's nothing wrong with it. But as the OP stated, the guy clearly haves an agenda (conservative), so, instead of persecution, i'd rather pose this issue as political. I don't see how public opinion should be bothered about this that much. Specially since there are far more extreme cases going on and it happens so much. I've experienced myself far more extreme cases of censorship once i was offered a punch by the bus driver who said i was singing horseshit and then kicked out after i played a traditionally popular, sort of political-leftist song while in the bus, and i'm not left wing in any way.
Once in highschool a teacher got himself fired by the principal after he read a poem to his students about the genocide that happened in my country...

So... Nah, mama's boy just trying to make waves.

Last edited:
This is exactly what i think.
All this "rights" and "personal freedom" sometimes get out of context. You already depend on a platform managed by people to express your opinions which there's nothing wrong with it. But as the OP stated, the guy clearly haves an agenda (conservative), so, instead of persecution, i'd rather pose this issue as political. I don't see how public opinion should be bothered about this that much. Specially since there are far more extreme cases going on and it happens so much. I've experienced myself far more extreme cases of censorship once i was offered a punch by the bus driver who said i was singing horseshit and then kicked out after i played a traditionally popular, sort of political-leftist song while in the bus, and i'm not left wing in any way.
So... Nah, just trying to make waves.

There are numerous examples if one does a google search, of how social media platforms (especially Facebook) have manipulated the content the users are seeing and/or are able to thumb and share. Plus you have the NSA (who just looked at this post because I mentioned them) who looks at every word you write anyhow…left/right political leanings are all still subject to these social media filters.

There are numerous examples if one does a google search, of how social media platforms (especially Facebook) have manipulated the content the users are seeing and/or are able to thumb and share. Plus you have the NSA (who just looked at this post because I mentioned them) who looks at every word you write anyhow…left/right political leanings are all still subject to these social media filters.

Yes. Google haves already a clear agenda i've seen and heard. And don't get me started on Facebook... That Zuckerberg haves a big brother complex.

Yes. Google haves already a clear agenda i've seen and heard. And don't get me started on Facebook... That Zuckerberg haves a big brother complex.
I couldn’t agree more.
So I think the real question that should be asked in this thread @JJJA is if there really are ANY true protections of freedom of speech and from intrusion on the internet at all?