Truly Kind and Gentle People | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Truly Kind and Gentle People

Yeah, I'm very curious. In a way I would say I meet both yours and Horatio's descriptions (in different senses, obviously, else it would just be a contradiction). The reason I think this is natural is actually that it's built into the nature of compassion, which involves two crucial things:

- a consideration for another's suffering
- an understanding of another's emotional life

Crucially, compassion is odd among feelings in that it doesn't introduce additional complexity into one's own emotional life at least directly (particularly if one prioritizes the cognitive aspects, more than the affective), and the emotion behind alleviating another's suffering is quite simple. Yet to tune into others' emotional lives, one has to be capable of processing complex emotional reasoning...but again crucially, it's more about creating a bridge than about having a complex emotional life more personal to oneself.

What this can imply is someone who is just kind might actually appear to be quite an emotional simpleton who just has a single emotional attitude, an uncomplicated gentleness and sympathy. And in particular, may satisfy criterion 1 (again, a kind of uncomplicated gentleness) and excel less at criterion 2. However, a drive to help others may correlate with a tendency to improve skill at criterion 2 (and it may even be that in practice, both tend to come together since they can be mutually beneficial).
In my case, I certainly have a greater emotional range than many (if anything, my strength of emotion is greater than my complexity of emotion), but not one of the most complex, and in some ways my successes with criterion 2, which I've been told I can do quite well with, tend to be that I can extrapolate simple emotional scenarios I've dealt with (through sufficient abstract reasoning) to other circumstances others face, and comment as such.

I'm a huge disbeliever in the need to experience things (at least beyond a point) and a huge believer in more abstract reasoning--at least relative to where most seem to stand.

True kindness has the ability to positively change a person . Niceness (as described in the OP) does not.

It's the difference between doing what is right, or doing what is easy.

Finally! Someone gets it.

Aw! You're so KIND! ❤️❤️❤️
DQvPSgE.gif

I think people don't change unless they want to. Maybe acts of kindness can inspire and influence others, but we aren't doing the changing. If somene who is not kind is somehow inspired by a kind person, that is because it was already within them to be kind.... Or in some way to be better.

I think it depends what we mean by not having snarky words....if it means not saying it but thinking it, that's not what I think the OP intended -- I think he meant genuinely meaning it. That is, not just being polite.

On another note: I think there are plenty of people who want there to be progress in the world but aren't gentle and don't particularly value gentleness and in fact are pretty harsh and judgmental. But they may genuinely try to spread greater education, stop crime, find cures to disease and stuff like that.

I like to distinguish someone like me from someone like this, because I would consider myself gentle and not particularly judgmental, but I don't go as far as to not condemn immoral behavior when I see it (and I'm not pacifist at all). I also fear irrationality more than the average person I describe above, which means I'm usually a bigger enemy of it than the more judgmental types.
Personally I feel this strikes what for me is the right balance between "doing what is right" and "being nice." I think a lot of people I describe above find there to be a sharper contrast and think being gentle is kind of besides the point, and I don't identify with that; for me, if you're not doing something that causes harm or claiming something is true with irrationality/unreasonable levels of certainty, I am by nature accepting/affectionate.

Are implicitly kind people rare? ... I mean people who never have a snarky, annoyed look, or word for anyone. What about people who are kind to everyone without exception? I think such people are very rare and I'm always stunned and delighted to know they exist.

Agreed. And as nice as it is to know that they do in fact exist... I look at such people (after witnessing significant proof of persistence) and marvel at exactly HOW they did it. Because it's so easy to be the opposite in this life. But to mold yourself in that manner and then remain that way... That's really amazing. *applause*

Agreed. And as nice as it is to know that they do in fact exist... I look at such people (after witnessing significant proof of persistence) and marvel at exactly HOW they did it. Because it's so easy to be the opposite in this life. But to mold yourself in that manner and then remain that way... That's really amazing. *applause*

I'm fascinated/suspicious of kind people and also require extensive amounts of proof too!! :neutral:

Everyone has the ability to be kind - some are more inclined than others. I think if your primary love language is "acts of service" / "gifts" then you have a natural inbuilt ability to seek out opportunities to be kind. I'm always interested in the WHY and also what happens to the "kind" person when their acts of kindness isn't acknowledged.

Hi Elis - please can you elaborate?
Hi Isabella, yeah sure.

We don't reach out that much to one another. I think there is a lot of kindness out there, but we'll just go about our day without really noticing. I think we would be so much richer if we would reach out more.

There is a lot that is messed up out there, but even some of the most unreasonable people we meet are perfectly understandable once you get to know them. Life can be hard at times, and I think this reflects on who we are and how we react in our day to day life. It isn't so much that we are kind or unkind, I just think there are tough situations and stress, and some people have better ways of dealing with it.

I think I'm a bit low on blood sugar right now, but hope you get what I'm getting at.

I'm fascinated/suspicious of kind people and also require extensive amounts of proof too!!

Everyone has the ability to be kind - some are more inclined than others. I think if your primary love language is "acts of service" / "gifts" then you have a natural inbuilt ability to seek out opportunities to be kind. I'm always interested in the WHY and also what happens to the "kind" person when their acts of kindness isn't acknowledged.

True kindness doesn't look for acknowledgment. When a person does something out of kindness, it really isn't something they have to think about. It is part of their character. It is done because it was needed or it was right. They do not expect to be treated any better for the act and look for nothing in return.

That is usually how you can tell the difference. If you find a person always complaining about others being mean to them when they are so nice and they are hurt by it, that person usually isn't acting out of kindness. They were acting a certain way to get a certain result.

Truly kind and gentle people...

I'm not so sure it's innate. Perhaps partly innate and mostly learned.
It's not even a way of being..I think it comes from somewhere deeper.
It's where ego doesn't exist, where one doesn't react from the ego of wanting to be 'special' or important or right.
I don't even think it is in acts of kindness. It's deeper than all of this.
It's in connection with someone in the moment. Being a space in which the other person can show up. Not reacting to their drama. Allowing it to be expressed but not getting pulled into it. Then the drama in the other will subside. This is where I believe true kindness and gentleness comes from and becomes present in relationships.

True kindness and gentleness is being a space in which the other can occur.