Too many books! | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Too many books!

@Pin @Wyote @Free (and anyone I may have forgotten)

Before I switch to 100% digital books, I have to know which one of the formats is going to prevail. I'm not going to get rid of my beloved books and pay for e-books when a decade or two later I won't be able to access them because they wouldn't all fit on the kindle (or whatever) and are lost in the process. Not to mention the money that is lost. In the end, IF there WAS an apocalype at any time in the possible future, books are going to be more valuable than digital copies anyway.

I have to know which one of the formats is going to prevail.

It's more a matter of obtaining the files yourself on your own drive. However you can do that, in whatever way is always the best option.
Companies have become more and more assholes in safeguarding and trying to hoard them and make it difficult for the consumer to actually own the property they fucking buy! It's bullshit!

Reactions: Free and Ginny
It's more a matter of obtaining the files yourself on your own drive.

Also having/converting to a file type that is readable on your own, which is another bullshit thing companies do with their proprietary bullshit.

Reactions: Free, Ginny and Ren
I think this song is appropriate here.

;)

Reactions: Wyote and Free
IF there WAS an apocalype at any time in the possible future, books are going to be more valuable than digital copies anyway.
:screamcat:
Don't say such things when I've given up 3 bookcases worth already!!

Kobo, Kindle, Nook, and Audible. These are apps that I use regularly. I once owned a Kindle but I'd much rather access my digi-books through my phone or laptop. One less device that I'm tied to. I tend to use them via phone most of the time because it's far more portable than a laptop.

Of them all, I'd highly recommend Kobo, lots of deals all the time. Amazon's Kindle won't be going anywhere, so that's something to consider as well.

Reactions: Gaze, Wyote and Ren
It's like "Hey guys, you wanna buy a chair? We got lots of those! Ok, well if you want one first you've gotta pay a monthly fee for this warehouse of chairs we've got. I know you only want one chair but we are making lots of them and it's hard work! Also, the only way you can sit properly is if you have this special sitting device that you rent from us with an additional monthly fee"

Sounds great right! And then everyone was cool with it. It's actually how the physical economy is starting to function too.

It's like "Hey guys, you wanna buy a chair? We got lots of those! Ok, well if you want one first you've gotta pay a monthly fee for this warehouse of chairs we've got. I know you only want one chair but we are making lots of them and it's hard work! Also, the only way you can sit properly is if you have this special sitting device that you rent from us with an additional monthly fee"

Sounds great right! And then everyone was cool with it. It's actually how the physical economy is starting to function too.
Lol! Well, that has Amazon written all over it. :p but now that I live in the middle of nowhere, I couldn't do without Amazon Prime.

Reactions: Gaze, Ren and Wyote
Lol! Well, that has Amazon written all over it. :p but now that I live in the middle of nowhere, I couldn't do without Amazon Prime.

For the right price, I might be convinced to pay a monthly fee for the perfect bookcase.

...holy shit I think I just thought of a good business model.

Reactions: Free and AUM
@Pin @Wyote @Free (and anyone I may have forgotten)

Before I switch to 100% digital books, I have to know which one of the formats is going to prevail. I'm not going to get rid of my beloved books and pay for e-books when a decade or two later I won't be able to access them because they wouldn't all fit on the kindle (or whatever) and are lost in the process. Not to mention the money that is lost. In the end, IF there WAS an apocalype at any time in the possible future, books are going to be more valuable than digital copies anyway.

I don't think ebooks are for you. It's just never going to work to plan for a technology to not become obsolete, the rate of change in technology and the world is way too rapid, it's better to just try to shop as ethically as possible cause then you know you were at least trying to make the world a better place.

ereaders are a convenience thing. It means you can go shopping for books if you've got an internet connection, at any time of day, without leaving the house. It also means other little convenience things, like a backlight and a dictionary, and being very light, and taking up little space in your bag. Of course there are inconvenience aspects too. If the convenience is outweighed by your personal preferences and the inconveniences to you, there's no reason why you should use an ereader. If you want to just try it out you could probably get a refurbished or secondhand one pretty inexpensively. But stick with traditional books if that's what makes you happy

^ looks good @invisible :) I'm glad you did it too. ever heard of Konmari clean up method? its basically the idea that anything that doesn't "spark joy" in your life should be removed, and you can tell by how you feel about them when you touch them. I tried it on my entire house a while ago and removed SO MUCH crap that it was like a whole new place when it was done. So fresh & clean! I definitely recommend it.

I don't think ebooks are for you. It's just never going to work to plan for a technology to not become obsolete, the rate of change in technology and the world is way too rapid, it's better to just try to shop as ethically as possible cause then you know you were at least trying to make the world a better place.

ereaders are a convenience thing. It means you can go shopping for books if you've got an internet connection, at any time of day, without leaving the house. It also means other little convenience things, like a backlight and a dictionary, and being very light, and taking up little space in your bag. Of course there are inconvenience aspects too. If the convenience is outweighed by your personal preferences and the inconveniences to you, there's no reason why you should use an ereader. If you want to just try it out you could probably get a refurbished or secondhand one pretty inexpensively. But stick with traditional books if that's what makes you happy
Good advice, but I have an e-reader (for about 5 years now?). I know of the perks and make use of them. I distinguish between the books that I'd rather possess physically and the ones I am either not sure about, need for other purposes or already have and merely want to read in another language. I don't know how my book buying habits will develop (at the moment the price is more important), but my treasures will always be bought in a shop.

Good advice, but I have an e-reader (for about 5 years now?). I know of the perks and make use of them. I distinguish between the books that I'd rather possess physically and the ones I am either not sure about, need for other purposes or already have and merely want to read in another language. I don't know how my book buying habits will develop (at the moment the price is more important), but my treasures will always be bought in a shop.

Oops, I misunderstood! Forgive me. <3

Last edited:
^ looks good @invisible :) I'm glad you did it too. ever heard of Konmari clean up method? its basically the idea that anything that doesn't "spark joy" in your life should be removed, and you can tell by how you feel about them when you touch them. I tried it on my entire house a while ago and removed SO MUCH crap that it was like a whole new place when it was done. So fresh & clean! I definitely recommend it.

In the bookstore where I work, these books about spark joy (particularly by Marie Kondo) are a massive success, we sell thousands of copies. The 2 books by Kondo, particularly "Spark Joy" must have earned us enough to have kept us in business for an entire month, I think, and we are an enormous store. No maybe I'm exaggerating a bit... but the books have done well for us.

It's an interesting idea. I think it's basically a good idea. However... sometimes there are things you will decide to keep anyway, even though the feeling is not joy, but bittersweet. Once I tossed away some things that my brother gave me because they didn't spark joy. This was long before the phenomenon of spark joy. Afterwards, when these objects were lost, I cried very bitterly. I was wrong to toss the things out. Some things are too important to throw away even though they're sad.

But however... this is basically the method that I used with getting rid of my books... I felt exactly the same as you describe. I got rid of SO MUCH CRAP. And it felt so much better. I did it with my to-read pile too. Pics to come.

Oops, misunderstood! Forgive me. <3
What's to forgive? I could have said so before. But I was just so focussed on my preference of the physical presence of books (which I really can't do without), that I completely overlooked my stance on e-books. And honestly, I didn't really want to get involved in the argument above.

I didn't really want to get involved in the argument above.

funny-guy-throwing-book-on-floor-animated-gif.gif

Reactions: Free and Gaze
Reactions: Free and Ginny