Things vs Feelings | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Things vs Feelings

You automatically lose points by admitting you have read/watched Tony Robbins. Why don't you just quote Dr. Phil next time? *shakes head, gives sad/disgusted look*

That's like the god Hephaestus losing points for his deformity and being cast out of Olympus. I may have lost rank, but I am still supremely awesome.

Reactions: Nixie
To be fair, we have no idea if sharks feel or have any concrete way of determining if they feel. We also can only judge said shark feelings by our own standards which may not match/be suitable for a shark.

It's called anatomy.

Nice thread BTW Poetic Injustice. I would say I agree on premise. However, it would probably be more accurate to say that people don't understand that it isn't "things" they want but the feelings they facilitate. I would state that people do want "things" and they do have "value" in their eyes. It is just a quesiton of enlightenment and personal development that enable you to see a deeper level of living and learning.

Agreed.

The world would be a much better place if people put positive feelings before material wealth. Being nice to people and helping others makes YOU feel good too.

One of the best things you can do to feel good is to make someone else feel good

What analogy? I'm stating facts. Everything we do isn't based on emotion. We have basic core functions that operate before sensory input registers into the emotional center of the brain.

*shifts into low gear*

Okay. Let's go slow and start with an easy one:

Are sharks humans?

What analogy? I'm stating facts. Everything we do isn't based on emotion. We have basic core functions that operate before sensory input registers into the emotional center of the brain.

:m027:

I'm not saying it's about every single thing our bodies do like our hearts beating etc. It's more to do with desires and conscious behaviour.

Yeah, I agree with what you are saying for the most part, I thought it was intriguing post to be honest. But not everything we do is influenced by emotion. There are some hard wired innate behaviors that every animal has that don't have anything to do with emotion, for instance.

Yeah, I agree with what you are saying for the most part, I thought it was intriguing post to be honest. But not everything we do is influenced by emotion. There are some hard wired innate behaviors that every animal has that don't have anything to do with emotion, for instance.

Do you have an example of one in humans?

Primitive behaviors such as hunger. Also behaviors like reflexes.

Primitive behaviors such as hunger. Also behaviors like reflexes.

With reflexes you may be right.

Hunger though is one of the clearest examples of what I'm talking about. Being hungry is unpleasant. Eating food makes you feel better.

Do you have an example of one in humans?

I think perhaps things like breathing, blood pumping are what he is refering to--we usually don't think of these as things we do because they are vital to life and aren't really a choice.

While hunger might be primative or something we need to satisfy to give our body energy..I would argue that while the need is hard wired--how we satisfy that need is related to emotions. When we can consciously make a choice of I like this versus I like that or I want this versus that, we are in the realm of satisfying emotional needs as well.

No not really. Blood pumping is controlled by cardiac muscle. When the heart is taken out of the human body, it continues to beat. It is regulated by the brain. Breathing occurs in the same brain region as heart regulation.

Hunger takes place in the same region where homeostasis occurs (balancing the body). We don't have a conscience choice whether or not to be hungry. It's an urge hard wired, and it's not emotionally based.

No not really. Blood pumping is controlled by cardiac muscle. When the heart is taken out of the human body, it continues to beat. It is regulated by the brain. Breathing occurs in the same brain region as heart regulation.

Hunger takes place in the same region where homeostasis occurs (balancing the body). We don't have a conscience choice whether or not to be hungry. It's an urge hard wired, and it's not emotionally based.

You are completely missing the point and we seem to be going round in circles. I'm going to have one more attempt then i think it's time to move on.

This has nothing to do with hearts beating and blood pumping. At no point has me or anyone else stated that every single process our bodies undertake is governed by emotion. Please abandon this idea entirely. It is about desires and the actions we perform consciously.

Hunger is a feeling. Of course we don't choose to be hungry but that is fine because that has no relevance in this context. We eat to avoid the negative feeling of being hungry and to feel good. This has been explained several times and is one of the clearest and most obvious examples of what I'm talking about.

If you still don't get it, tough. Moving on.

Every time you make a post arguing against the OP, you wind up supporting it. This leads me to believe you don't understand his hypothesis and I suggest you go back and slowly read his post no less than five times, okay?

He's talking about the motivation humans have for making conscious choices. You are talking about animals and the autonomic nervous system.

You are completely missing the point and we seem to be going round in circles. I'm going to have one more attempt then i think it's time to move on.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This has nothing to do with hearts beating and blood pumping. At no point has me or anyone else stated that every single process our bodies undertake is governed by emotion. Please abandon this idea entirely. It is about desires and the actions we perform consciously.

Hunger is a feeling. Of course we don't choose to be hungry but that is fine because that has no relevance in this context. We eat to avoid the negative feeling of being hungry and to feel good. This has been explained several times and is one of the clearest and most obvious examples of what I'm talking about.

If you still don't get it, tough. Moving on.

*Points to door*

:m027:

I am reminded of an experiment in which a lab rat had an electrode placed in it's brain that stimulated the release of dopamine when the rat pushed a button. The rat then did nothing but keep pushing the button, not even eat or drink.

I am reminded of an experiment in which a lab rat had an electrode placed in it's brain that stimulated the release of dopamine when the rat pushed a button. The rat then did nothing but keep pushing the button, not even eat or drink.

Cool. I've not heard of that

Can you post a link to where you read about this?