Thesis Troubles | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Thesis Troubles

some people do best when looking at a project like this from different angles first and not tackling it ‘by the book’.... some people perform better when they don’t conform to what works for others but try to find their own voice behind the work they produce... and they do better because it’s their way.... Different strokes for different folks

Correct. I’ll write this from the perspective of another Ti/Ne user.

For me, the key to successful completion of any complex project is to start with something. You think in ideas and images; I do much the same (unsurprising since we have similar functions). Start with that. Get ideas for what you want to convey and - this is very important - write them down. No matter how scattered or random they seem, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to fit them into the narrative of your thesis somehow. In this stage, more is better. Even if you don’t end up using all your ideas this process will free up your creativity which is your strength.

From there, take each idea you’ve come up with and try to derive a single truth (or a small set) that speaks to the big picture you’re attempting to convey. Here your aim will be to refine your ideas. This will likely be the stage where you start using established research to help shape the narrative. There’s a good chance a few of your ideas won’t be that useful, which is fine. Try to find kernels of truth in them anyway.

Next, I would try to rough out an outline, using the high level points you’ve derived above. Do your best to make this logically procedural. One idea leads to the next which leads to the next and so on. ENTPs aren’t natural procedural thinkers, this may be the toughest stage for you, and the part you really have to plow through to get it right. As with all stages of this process, verbal engagement with peers will likely be a big help for you in getting it right.

In my view, once the outline is done the hard part is over - time to fill in the details, which will consist of utilizing all that research to drive your conclusions home (and throwing in some humor here and there). As stated above be judicious with the jokes but give your work your own voice. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Finally, as with all stages of this process, get help when you need it. The analysis and critique of peers is always a good thing.

Good luck!

Thanks @infinite dreams, that was constructive guidance that could help Lady Jo. I’d say, I actually resonate with some of what you said myself, I’d be a little bit of a mess if I had to attempt a thesis (which I never have, so big up to Lady Jo!) @invisible , I’m not trying to say that your method was wrong, it works well for many people, but your tone came across as condescending instead of supportive.... if you didn’t mean it that way at all then I am sorry for reading it that way...

some people do best when looking at a project like this from different angles first and not tackling it ‘by the book’.... some people perform better when they don’t conform to what works for others but try to find their own voice behind the work they produce... and they do better because it’s their way.... Different strokes for different folks
I totally agree with you. Which type is @Lady Jolanda and is she tackling this project in the way that works best for her? Why or why not? There is always the option to consider that a graduate degree may not be for her. Best of luck!

I totally agree with you. Which type is @Lady Jolanda and is she tackling this project in the way that works best for her? Why or why not? There is always the option to consider that a graduate degree may not be for her. Best of luck!
Can I ask why that option can be considered?

Can I ask why that option can be considered?

Sure, because I think people should consider all the options and have a clear view of reality - planning is important. Having a plan B, etc. is necessary. For everyone there is the possibility that they simply couldn't complete such an undertaking. So far I think there have been two times what have kept her from completing the process. At what point is this degree just not profitable? This is a graduate degree so it should take like 2 - 3 years to complete. It looks like it's already been at least 4 years, that is quite a case of writers block and suggests a much larger barrier that must be overcome. Perhaps her energy is better focused on something else. Since she already has so many sunk costs I hope she does persevere though, it would be a shame if all that work amounts to a waste of time.

Sure, because I think people should consider all the options and have a clear view of reality - planning is important. Having a plan B, etc. is necessary. For everyone there is the possibility that they simply couldn't complete such an undertaking. So far I think there have been two times what have kept her from completing the process. At what point is this degree just not profitable? This is a graduate degree so it should take like 2 - 3 years to complete. It looks like it's already been at least 4 years, that is quite a case of writers block and suggests a much larger barrier that must be overcome. Perhaps her energy is better focused on something else. Since she already has so many sunk costs I hope she does persevere though, it would be a shame if all that work amounts to a waste of time.
I hear you... thank you for wording it so well, it’s appreciated....

I have faith that she can do this and I do agree, it would be a waste of time if she didn’t, I’m sure she’s aware of that also...
I think her energy is not wasted, it just needs to be guided and supported, which I would guess is why she approached the forum for assistance.... all and all your viewpoint is one to consider and is still valid, however I do hope Lady Jo Kicks this thesis’ ass :yum:

I hear you... thank you for wording it so well, it’s appreciated....

I have faith that she can do this and I do agree, it would be a waste of time if she didn’t, I’m sure she’s aware of that also...
I think her energy is not wasted, it just needs to be guided and supported, which I would guess is why she approached the forum for assistance.... all and all your viewpoint is one to consider and is still valid, however I do hope Lady Jo Kicks this thesis’ ass :yum:
I think it’s important to point out that it wasn’t my view point, it was just a view point to consider. And in both points I have said in one way or another that I hope she completes her thesis.

Last edited:
Sorry Just me, I don't really understand what you're trying to tell me. Can you try to rephrase it? I'll gladly listen.

What you are studying will start here and end there, with knowledge abounding as you go. Just tell a story, incorporating evidence and maybe speculation about what you decide to discuss.

Thanks @infinite dreams, that was constructive guidance that could help Lady Jo. I’d say, I actually resonate with some of what you said myself, I’d be a little bit of a mess if I had to attempt a thesis (which I never have, so big up to Lady Jo!) @invisible , I’m not trying to say that your method was wrong, it works well for many people, but your tone came across as condescending instead of supportive.... if you didn’t mean it that way at all then I am sorry for reading it that way...

Sorry but stuff I've seen her post comes off as pretty condescending too, so if she can dish it out I think she can take it. It seems like she has heaps of kind loving support already, yet the project is still not getting done, so I offer some alternative. Not everyone who offers something useful to say has to hold your hand while doing it. She can take it or leave it, obviously.

Reactions: the
Sorry but stuff I've seen her post comes off as pretty condescending too.
My apologies Invisible, that isn't my intention at all. Nothing I post on here is meant condescendingly. Thank you for pointing that out.

Reactions: flufiang