The value of humility | INFJ Forum

The value of humility

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Once upon a time, it was considered a great compliment to be considered humble, meaning not promoting self or achievements, or taking credit for accomplishments. Today, the opposite seens to be true. We are expected to self promote, show our potential and capabilities, demonstrate our talents and abilities, in other words, do things to be noticed and recognized for what we can give or do. We are expected to assert ourselves and express it with confidence.

I've also noticed that those who are visibly humble are often seen as weaker, more uncertain, less competent, or incapable. They are also seen as someone who can and should be manipulated or taken advantage. It's often seen as a personality flaw when someone is too humble or self effacing.

So, is there still a place for humility in the modern world?

Last edited:
another positive side of humility is that when a truly humble person deals with other people they don't assume that they have a greater knowledge or level of personal development to that person. they relate to others respectfully as equals. kind of the flipside of arrogance. i always try harder to be that kind of person.

another positive side of humility is that when a truly humble person deals with other people they don't assume that they have a greater knowledge or level of personal development to that person. they relate to others respectfully as equals. kind of the flipside of arrogance. i always try harder to be that kind of person.

Which is true, but i often find that when someone behaves humbly, and tries to treat everyone as equals, they are often considered less effective as leaders because they are seen as more compromising and less decisive because they are not asserting what is or should be. Rather, they are usually more open and willing to share the floor.

Anita, you be making them threads, woman!

A very good one though.

There absolutely is a place for humility in this *world,* but not in every location in this world. In all honesty, humility not only isn't needed, but shouldn't be expressed in certain areas. You'll be taken over and overrun by others. However, this world could use a little more magic-H pills in their morning wake up smoothies.

A very good one though.

There absolutely is a place for humility in this *world,* but not in every location in this world. In all honesty, humility not only isn't needed, but shouldn't be expressed in certain areas. You'll be taken over and overrun by others. However, this world could use a little more magic-H pills in their morning wake up smoothies.

:m131: thx U. Agree, there's a time and place for everything.

Last edited:
but i don't think that a person who is prepared to listen to what people have to say and assumes that they will say something valuable and treating what they have said as a valid contribution, necessarily means that such a person would not assertively criticise those things and argue about whether or not they would work, and require those contributions to justify themselves.

but i don't think that a person who is prepared to listen to what people have to say and assumes that they will say something valuable and treating what they have said as a valid contribution, necessarily means that such a person would not assertively criticise those things and argue about whether or not they would work, and require those contributions to justify themselves.

True.

Humility is a beautiful thing. People only self-promote to the extent that they do because they want terribly to be noticed, significant... ...to be loved. They seek what they desperately want through means by which they will never receive it.

There's a time and place to be humble and another to be commanding and if needed an arrogant prick.

maybe i agree but not sure. when is the time to be an arrogant prick?

when others interfere with your work, needs, etc. and they need to be put in there place and all passive routes have been exhausted. It's about to happen in the lab I work in...:m106:

A very good one though.

Humility =/= weakness

when others interfere with your work, needs, etc. and they need to be put in there place and all passive routes have been exhausted. It's about to happen in the lab I work in...:m106:

so then are there only two ways of expressing things: passive, or aggressive? i thought that there's also passive-aggressive, or assertive. not toootally sure as i have achieved a lot through being an aggressive, arrogant prick but sometimes i think i could have handled things more constructively.

I find humillity to be very useful, but I personally have taken it too far at times and it bit me in the ass. So it can be over done.