The types of your immediate family and how do you interact with them? | INFJ Forum

The types of your immediate family and how do you interact with them?

Nate35819

Aug 16, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Idk
Alright I'm an INFJ guy. 20 years old

I have a confirmed ESTP dad and INTJ mom. I also have a 10 year old sister who hasn't taken the test....she's too young anyway but im almost 100% positive she is a ESFP.....she's such a goofball lol.

My interaction with my dad has improved over time, we used to constantly fight when I was a teenager and I could never get close to him because I couldn't stand the fact that he cheated on my mom multiple times. It's been a strained relationship but were getting better and rarely fight anymore.

With my mom I've always been far closer, she cared for me almost exclusively when I was young and I've always been able to talk to her about anything and vice versa. I remember being real young, like 3-4 when my dad cheated on her the first time and she would confide in me even then I think these experiences are what have made me into an INFJ.

My sister and I always get along. When she was real young 3-7 I used to constantly annoy her till she would be crying but I definitely got out of that phase lol. Now we always laugh and goof off around each other....it's amazing how much you can get along with someone so much younger than you I think....my favorite thing about her is if I ask her something, she always gives me her honest opinion....on another note though.....she NEVER stops talking....so....very talkative sometimes that I barely have a second to think around her.

well thats my family. On a side note I think it's interesting to bring up INFJ is the cousin type to INTJ (my mom) which as being a INJ child these are the two paths you can take (either INTJ or INFJ). Also INFJ is the shadow of ESTP (my dad) which I saw a lot of as a kid. Basically what I'm saying is that it seems very natural giving my parents that I turned out an INFJ. Coincidence or no?

If I had to guess:

Pop - ESTJ - We get along if we're talking about cars or jobs or the economy. Otherwise, civil at best. Our only bonding comes from working on cars or making repairs.
Mom - INFP - We don't talk much. Pleasantries mostly. Every once in a while we talk about something meaningful.
Brother 1 - ISTJ - He's pretty rigid in his ways and stuck in a rut he won't climb out of, whereas I'm constantly moving and striving for something. We have a civil relationship. We can talk about work and video games, but I suspect if we started in on heavier issues he'd want to drop the conversation or we'd disagree often.
Brother 2 - ENTP - More outgoing and involved in conversations. We get along well. He's a smart guy who often has sound advice, and is willing to listen.
Brother 3 - ISTJ - The youngest at 14. He's as quiet as I used to be so it's hard to get anything out of him. We generally talk about his classes and video games.

Mum - ISFJ
Dad - INTJ

my mum and i don't always see eye to eye, i find the way she thinks and deal with things frustrating. my dad, on the other hand, understands me a lot more and i have some great conversations with him

MOM - ESFJ - Very strained relationship. She doesnt get me, and doesnt want to. She loves me, but she smothers me and doesnt understand why I cant just be normal
DAD - ESTJ/ENTJ - emotionally stunted, and our emotional relationship is very muted.. never really existed. I tend to avoid talking to him since we cant ever agree on anything.
Brother 1 - INFJ he gets me best, but being raised by our father we find it awkward to share emotions with each other.
Brother 2 - ESTP compulsive liar and exaggerator. Our relationship has always been strained. I usually can only tolerate him for an hour at a time before I want to choke myself to death.
Sister 1 - ESFJ - She grew up away from us, so she is actually normal, we have a good relationship, we are opena nd honest with each other and she is very supportive of my feelings. We are also the same age... lol (half sister)
Sister 2 - ENFJ we have an intense mental connection and are very similar in our intellectual pursuits, but we never had that close of a relationship which is sad, because we are very alike, both crusaders at heart.

Mom - ESFP - She's very emotionally driven. Loves to shop and prone to "impulse buys".
Dad - ESTJ - Always optimistic, ALWAYS optimistic. Can socialize with nearly anyone, his job requires it. He's a great salesman and business owner (naturally).
Sis - ENTJ - Super tough, known as the mean one in the family. Lacks emotion, selfish, and powerful. I always make fun of her and tell her she has a bright future in the human trafficking field because she's so cold blooded. I remember one time when she was like 16 years old she got all in this dudes face for saying something rude to my cousin. The dude was a big black crazy ass cocaine dealer who was always carrying a gun and everyone was afraid of him cuz he chokes his girlfriend and shit. Everybody in the room looked at my sister like "WTF?". But she had the rage in her eyes and made him say sorry. She's tiny too which makes it even funnier.
Bro - ESTP - Doesn't give a fuuuu... super chill and never gets mad. Has well developed N, F, and J functions for an ESTP. Very smart and confident. I have no problem getting along with him. Very popular. Very good wrestler with a defensive and tactful strategy on the mat. Exact opposite of me who uses offense as my defense and tends to attack in a fury of moves. I think he developed his defensive style from wrestling with me for so many years, when your opponent never gives you time to think about offense you just have to get really good at defending and hope you can catch him out of position. Uses laziness to his advantage and always finds a more efficient way to get things done. Thinks for himself more than the average S, thanks to his strong N.

Mum - ISFJ
Dad - Don't know him so meh
Brother #1 - INTJ
Brother #2 - Narcissist and Grand Master of the Douche. MBTI doesn't apply to narcs as far as I'm aware
Sister - ESFP I think. Not sure though

Dad- ISFJ: I have a great relationship with him. I can talk to him about anything. He's a bit of a hermit and gets peopled out very fast.
Mom-ESTJ: When she was alive we had a hot/cold relationship. I often wonder what it would be like now.
SIS -ESTJ: We get along well and keep in contact on a regular basis. I think we made it a point to be closer after my mother died, especially for the kids.
BRO -ISTJ: He's ok and we get along fine. I don't feel any emotional connection to him. I don't really even know him and couldn't tell you what he does for a living (my sister and father say this too.)
HUSB-ISTJ: We get along well and strangely we are playful like that of a brother and sister. lol We never fight. When there is a problem, we fix it and I think that is mainly b/c we are both flexible in compromise. He treats me like a queen. He is a superb husband and father.
SON-ISxJ: We have our moments. lol Hard to describe when he's brinking on the age of defiance. He's not a touchy-feely kid.
SON-ENFP: Energetic, happy, affectionate with me, poor impulse control, can't sit still.
MIL-ENTP: We get along well, but she talks so damn much! The woman doesn't need anyone else in the room to carry on a conversation.
FIL -I???: I totally cannot figure him out and I think that is from 20 yrs in the Military. On the outside he appears ISTJ.

Last edited:
Okay well my mom is ISTJ with well-developed Fi and Ne. She likes to read, and I can talk with her and she listens, even though she doesn't understand me. She was raised Catholic and is now Christian, and tries to see the good in people despite her by-the-book ways. Very mature and strong woman.

My Dad is ENTP. Hehehe. He is a really smart guy and good at arguing---but the language barrier makes him lonelier than I think he deserves to be. Both parents immigrated from Poland before creating me. His Fe works well but he does complain out loud a lot, and it can make me feel bad. So I ignore it. If our economic situation was better he could use his beautiful mind...

My sister is 16 so I shouldn't be trying to type her but so far she's a definite ESFP......lol!

Mother: ESFP. While I have a good relationship with her, she is far too emotional and it can be a real strain talking to her sometimes.
Father: ISTJ. While he's too focused on facts and dismisses anything outside his experience, we get along quite well
Brother: ESFP. I'm not fully sure about his type but ESFP is the most likely. If he wasn't my brother, I doubt we would ever interact. He's not a bad person but we have absolutely noting in common. It's incredibly difficult just talking to him, it's almost like we're different species.

Mom- probably an NF. Most likely INFJ or ENFP.
Took the test in college, but can't remember the results. Said she just remembers she was an "Introvert." (which is somewhat debatable, if you ask me.)

Dad- Most likely ISFJ. I tried to get him to take the test, but he wasn't into it, so I let it go.

Twin brother - Took the test and got INTP if I remember correctly. Seems probable. Other possibilities: ISTP, ISFP, or INFP.

Next youngest brother - Probably ESFP or ESTP. Not too interested in taking the test.

Next youngest brother after that - Could be ESFP or ISFP. Not sure. Not interested in taking the test.

Youngest brother - Took the test and got INFJ. Never looked into it after that. I suppose INFJ is probably accurate, but I don't think we're too much alike, so it makes me confused about my type. Not sure what else he could be. He's kind of a mystery.

Half-sister - Probably ESFJ or ISFJ. Not interested in taking the test.

Biological father - My guess: Almost certainly ESTP. Never took the test to my knowledge though.

How do I interact with my immediate family? Not much.

I think (hope) we're on good terms, but I have a pretty distant relationship with all members of my immediate family.

I suppose I would like to be closer, but it just doesn't seem to happen.

ISTP dad--we clash fairly often, mostly for fun. He's more intelligent than SPs are stereotyped as, and we have a good rapport, even though we annoy each other.
ESTJ mom--I know the thing about our types not getting along, but we have mutual fondness for each other, although I guess that's because we're mother and son. I think she interferes far too much in things, but she's okay most of the time.
xSFP brother--very bad relationship. I think he's an idiot, he thinks I'm insensitive. I try to avoid him so that he doesn't have to fight with me, but it still doesn't work out.

Wow hate to bump but love to as well. I haven't logged on in a long time but in the mean time this thread got a lot of good posts. Thanks guys I really enjoyed everyone's post so far. Anyone else?