The sex stigma | INFJ Forum

The sex stigma

slant

Capitalist pig
Donor
Dec 30, 2008
MBTI
None
I was reading the single stigma thread which I wrote, but this didn't really fit there I think. Last night I was talking with a friend of mine, and we came to the same conclusion basically, even though she's heterosexual.

We were talking about how we think a lot of what people believe, like gender roles and their attitudes towards romantic relationships, come from the media and socialization- basically that if at one point it was instinctive, now a whole lot of it is just influenced by the reason to 'conform'. You guys should have been there. We stated it so eloquently. It's amazing our conversations when we put our heads together.

Anyway, I was astonished because she was talking about how it seems like males and females at a certain point, how she described it, was that they become 'physical' people. They don't seem to want a romantic close relationship if there isn't physical things involved, meaning sex. She was talking about how all of the guys she knew growing up are like this now and it's frustrating for her, and that it wasn't only the guys,the girls are like that too. She was talking about how society seems to place this stigma, that a relationship is bad if you aren't having sex with one another.

When I think about it, the reasons people don't have sex are usually nothing to do with not wanting to have sex...usually it's like, they're waiting for marriage, or they can't for medical problems....etc. It's never just a pure choice. And my friend here, like I, doesn't even believe in marriage and she says she won't be getting married. Her parents are married, but she doesn't think marriage is required to show you love someone and she thinks marriage is more of a way to show others around you that you're in a serious relationship, because just like if you aren't having sex, if you aren't married, people don't think the relationship is all that serious or that it's going to last.

So my friend described that she thought emotional closeness was much more important than being close physically, and she stated that her boyfriend is her boyfriend not because they have sex but because he is closest to her, like a best friend that is a little bit higher up on her list of priorities than everyone else is. She was talking about how realistically she doesn't see herself being with him forever, and she doesn't understand people who would, she can't look that far ahead....just like me.

Her comment about why emotional closeness was so much more important than physicalness is that her parents have been together for 30 years, and she knows they don't sleep together anymore, but they still love each other deeply. Her mother went to the hospital for a simple checkup and her dad was crying because they found something wrong, which they fixed, but he was crying hysterically like a little boy, and she said watching her dad cry like that over her mother made her realize, wow...their love is so real, it's realer than just being physical with one another, that has nothing to do with their love.

So then, why do we place all of this, as a society, emphasis on people having sex to signify that their relationship is good and healthy? If anything, I'd think sex would just detract from it...and I know a lot of people like to deem it 'making love', but still, even then, it seems like being emotionally close is way more important than doing that and society seems to place a big bang on sex=happiness in a relationship.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
In long term relationships, emotional bonding is probably most important, but don't believe for a second that people have sex because society told them to, humans have innate sex drives. If anything, society tends to dampen our sex drives.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
It's true, people equate good sex to a good relationship.

A more accurate reality is that loving sex is congruent to a loving relationship, yet the sex is not a qualifier for a loving relationship. It is simply an expression of that love.

The problem is, people often cannot differentiate the two and we are animals and succumb to our carnal desires from time to time.

While many of the conclusions here are true, it really depends on the reason for not having sex. If you're not having sex in your relationship for reasons other than medical, waiting for marriage, it could be something that is unhealthy. Sex, believe it or not, is actually good for you.

True, love is more important than great sex but if you're married and have stopped having sex, you could be growing further apart from each other.

Sex and love are different things. They can be combined, but are not one in the same. Sex is mechanical (like eating or pooping), love is emotional.

Sex and love are different things. They can be combined, but are not one in the same. Sex is mechanical (like eating or pooping), love is emotional.

Oh god Billy cracks me up. Couldn't stop with the "like eating" had to add the "pooping". *laughs and laughs*

I'm pretty sure sex can be emotional. And technically emotions are just chemical reactions in the brain while we're at it.

And please please please don't compare sex to pooping again. Eating, maybe but the pooping thing makes me want to have my cherry remain unpopped.

I'm pretty sure sex can be emotional. And technically emotions are just chemical reactions in the brain while we're at it.

And please please please don't compare sex to pooping again. Eating, maybe but the pooping thing makes me want to have my cherry remain unpopped.

I am pretty sure I said sex and love can be combined, but as far as sex goes the act of penetration, whether mouth, vagina, butt, or uhhh tracheotomy, its completely mechanical. Just like eating ANNNND pooping. I will not retract that!

Reactions: bagelriffic
Tracheotomy? *wonders about Billy's sex life* *supresses thoughts*

But sex really is just a mechanical thing. You can attach emotions to it all you want, but I'd rather have someone emotionally care for my wellbeing than someone make my insides feel good.

And see the problem that this thread is coming to a conclusion of is that if you're not having sex in a relationship you're growing apart.

WTF??????????

That's the whole point. Society thinks that. But even if you don't have sex you still have that emotional connection, SEX DOES NOT CAUSE THAT EMOTIONAL CONNECTION, and if you think sex means someone loves you, you've got a real problem. If someone raped me I wouldn't think that means they love me just because it's sex.

[MENTION=528]slant[/MENTION]; Your logic is a bit flawed. While it is true that sex doesn't cause emotionl feelings, the contrary isn't true either--that it doesn't. Sex can cause deep emotional feelings. Being sexual with someone is a wonderful experience, or a terrible experience, or a mechanical experience. Sex is like all things in life, you get out, what you put into it.

[MENTION=528]slant[/MENTION]; Your logic is a bit flawed. While it is true that sex doesn't cause emotionl feelings, the contrary isn't true either--that it doesn't. Sex can cause deep emotional feelings. Being sexual with someone is a wonderful experience, or a terrible experience, or a mechanical experience. Sex is like all things in life, you get out, what you put into it.

But the point is that the reason behind sex, why it would strengthen a relationship, is emotional connection, it has nothing to do with the physical act of the sexual experience because like I said if it was rape it wouldn't be bonding, even if you got raped by someone you loved, that's not bonding, sex isn't always bonding. So to imply that someone's relationship might suffer or isn't healthy if two people or more whom love each other aren't having sex is kind of flawed logic.

We are saying the same thing. While it is true sex isn't bonding--the opposite isn't true either because sex can be bonding. If two people agree to a relationship without sex then not having sex doesn't detract from the way those two have defined their relationship. If the question is why is sex an important part of a romantic relationship, I would have to agree that it is a biological urge with an emotional twist. You may not feel that way now but there is a bit of fun in determining how ones parts fit with another's parts..

We are saying the same thing. While it is true sex isn't bonding--the opposite isn't true either because sex can be bonding. If two people agree to a relationship without sex then not having sex doesn't detract from the way those two have defined their relationship. If the question is why is sex an important part of a romantic relationship, I would have to agree that it is a biological urge with an emotional twist. You may not feel that way now but there is a bit of fun in determining how ones parts fit with another's parts..

Sure, that's all nice and dandy, but why hold others to the same standards...why judge when you know that sex does not equal love and you know the only reason sex is even relevant is because people will attach emotions to it, why suggest that people who aren't having sex are in an unhealthy relationship, when we've already defined that the only reason sex is considered part of a healthy relationship is the emotional connection/bond, otherwise, it's just mechanical. If you see two people who love each other then why is it that they have to be having sex to express that when sex is only one way to express an emotional connection. Why is it if a couple is having problems, ohhhh it's cause your not having sex, as if, that's the ONLY way to prove you love someone?

Weeelllll. If two people have a sexual relationship and begin to NOT have sex, then something is wrong. If two people have a relationship but both agree that sex isn't a part of it and don't have sex then nothing is wrong. Not having sex when you are in a sexual relationship is telling because it is part of your relationship. Not having sex usually means that something is wrong and the whole not having sex is a symptom of something wrong. People automatically assume that most adult relationships are sexual--rightly or wrongly. Your argument isn't really valid unless you are speaking of a relationship between two people who have agreed not to have sex as part of their relationship--hence not having sex doesn't really mean anything to their relationship.

Reactions: Galileo
I think the issue is that sex is a big part of our movies, TV shows and even our music now. The characters we see in stable relationships or who have realised they love one another are almost always seen having sex, or talking about having sex....

Relationships aren't just about sex. my husband and I do have sex when i'm there, but it's not the be all and end all of our lives. in fact, if we never had it again I wouldn't leave him or anything, because I love him.

Weeelllll. If two people have a sexual relationship and begin to NOT have sex, then something is wrong. If two people have a relationship but both agree that sex isn't a part of it and don't have sex then nothing is wrong. Not having sex when you are in a sexual relationship is telling because it is part of your relationship. Not having sex usually means that something is wrong and the whole not having sex is a symptom of something wrong. People automatically assume that most adult relationships are sexual--rightly or wrongly. Your argument isn't really valid unless you are speaking of a relationship between two people who have agreed not to have sex as part of their relationship--hence not having sex doesn't really mean anything to their relationship.

Yeah but that's what I'm talking about, see my friend, she and her partner don't have sex and people are always like ooohhh your so unhealthy and/or well then that's not dating you're just friends. The context is a non-sexual relationship from the get-go. Or maybe two people who just decided they weren't into sex and stopped.

There isn't anything unhealthy when people in a relationship decide to do or not to do something. Society and others will always have contrary positions regareding this or that. If you are comfortable with your decisions and with your lifestyle, in the end, the "outside" crap really shouldn't matter.

There isn't anything unhealthy when people in a relationship decide to do or not to do something. Society and others will always have contrary positions regareding this or that. If you are comfortable with your decisions and with your lifestyle, in the end, the "outside" crap really shouldn't matter.

I mean, we're discussing why this occurs and stuff and why there is such a big emphasis and I just don't understand why there are all of these stigmas in our society that dictate this and that and I have fallen victim to this and so many other people have....

To even suggest media is the reason for most things is silly. The media is an extension of human gossip and story telling which exists as a way of putting forth long concept ideas into a quick managable format. Sex is a natural want and requirement, it serves as physical and emotional release, judging on this subject is normal as it breaks natural tendencies. Also your view will be limited as it was only between 2 females whom share the same experience and outlook. In reference to modern life, people are having the least amount of sex per person in history. Humans need physical closeness or the relationship turns into brother and sister territory, though emotionally close it still makes one live a perpetual childhood. I also think that its hard to even emulate the complexity of a sexual breakdown if not experienced, starting a sexual relationship then it to stop means something has gone away emotionally which would have got them together. One can not judge it as fine just because they have been together for years.
Judgement is one of humans natural development tools, to judge yourself against others and others to the group was originally to prevent disease in a gene pool and is to an extent subconscious also you seem to judge those whom want sex as if its a problem. Have the confidence to not give a fuck what anyone says if it upsets.

Reactions: 1 person