The Purpose of Life | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

The Purpose of Life

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Pin, Jan 3, 2021.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 12 users.
More threads by Pin
  1. Sidis Coruscatis

Sidis Coruscatis Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Yes, God for N would be necessarily pantheistic - one that is represented by the totality of facts. To borrow from Wittgenstein: God is everything that is the case. I actually think the two have a lot in common, but it's more of an intuitive comparison than anything concrete.

Godliness for him was anti-Christian, because like most religions it imposed a limitation on how one ought to function in the world, which in turn limits the spectrum of human greatness. This is not to say that anything or anyone can be great, because ironically it requires a certain mode of being to achieve this greatness. There's a lot of nuance to untangle and would probably warrant a re-reading of the books to come to any specific conclusions. This kind of paradoxicality is key to Nietzsche however, because he's trying to show that there can be a multiplicity of truths inside a single fact, and that fact itself is evidencing divinity through its fundamental ungraspability. Even W eventually had to admit that the validity of language can't be based on its discernible logicality.

The biggest problem with conceptualizing God in this way is similar to the simulation hypothesis; any proof of it would have to be a product of its own function, and therefore self-referential. It's Tarski's undefinability theorem exemplified.

It makes sense to me, unless something can come out of nothing. But here I speak of cause in terms of discovery, not creation. It's like John said above, purpose exists a priori, but can be only realized a posteriori. It's that realization that must have some sequence of events leading to it.

Winterflowers and Ren like this.
  2. mooonion

Threads:
    MBTI:
    nftp
    i think its all random and meaningless and at a point in history they came up with this concept to try to somehow cover up this all randomness !!! this is what i believe according to my experiences today and maybe someday i will come to a better understanding of this purpose but who knows right ?

Winterflowers likes this.
  3. Ren

Ren Pin's android / The Maker / ≅ INFP

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5-4-8 sx
    Not to play the finicky academic, but do you have quotes/passages to back up these interpretations? Wittgenstein says that the world is all that is the case, i.e. the totality of facts, but I haven't come across an indication that he associates the world with God.

That said, I agree that Nietzsche and Wittgenstein have a lot more in common than commonly assumed. I've actually thought a lot about that in the past--maybe we could create a separate thread on the topic to discuss this further.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Sidis Coruscatis likes this.
  4. Sidis Coruscatis

Sidis Coruscatis Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    I took the statement and changed world to God because it's functionally the same in this case, even if he doesn't assign the same significance to it. As for N, I don't think there's any single passage that can evidence this. It's my synthesis based on all I know of him right now.

I'm in. Although I wouldn't really know where to begin without something to prompt the connection.

Hostarius and Ren like this.
  5. Gentle man

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    A very important 10min video that explain life purpose as it has never been explained before
    I cant share links just type the www.

.youtube.com/watch?v=cxC-2SvSGIw

6. Gentle man

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ