The older I get, the less I need friends | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

The older I get, the less I need friends

A world in which I can finally show my true colours? Oh yes :tongueout:
You'd make a fine ENTJ my friend, it isn't too late.

join_the_dark_side_darth_vader_flag_by_osflag-d9xe8up.jpg

'Iron Staff'
My actual simultaneous thoughts in response to Ren's comment:
Staffs are the coolest weapons ~ is that an INFJ thing? ~ Archetypes of life-stage: I seem to gravitate towards a phase between fatherhood and grandfatherhood; a time in which the man has not lost his vigour and strength, but combines this with a wisdom, fortitude and stoic stillness ~ Yes I'm good with Wukong's Iron Staff ~ that is a great euphemism for my penis, which I shall suggest to a certain someone at the next opportune moment ~ if the 'iron staff' is my penis, what does it mean to 'rule with an iron staff'? ~ Staffs are the symbols of kings in my fictional world of Ðal ~ phallic/power symbolism? ~ but still I'm using that euphemism.

Rites of Power
These rites and rituals reinforced ideologies of power and status.

1. ȑoþra̷ig (Ȑiþȑa̷în: ‘the rod-shout’)

By tradition, true kings of the Ȑa̷inðâl carried a rod or staff as their badge of office, derived from the Windstaff carried by the very first Ȑannūȑþô̱k kings of Ȑa̷inraþ. Also derived from this tradition was the practice for kings to hammer their rods upon the ground to command silence from everybody within his presence. This practice too was derived from the Ȑannūȑþô̱k kings, since Oþavīt in particular would hammer his rod as a veiled threat, alluding to the fact that he had murdered the Ȑānmâr-Vīn Aliȑākkar with his Windstaff in the coup that created the monarchy. Though in 081.M34 the threat of murder had been forgotten in the intervening fifteen-hundred years and replaced with earnest respect for the dignity of the office, it was customary to become silent if any king (that is, ȑan) hammered his rod upon the ground. Two consecutive hammers after this would release those present from their silence. In the case of the king of Ȑa̷inraþ (that is, the incumbent Ȑannūȑþô̱k), those present were required to genuflect in addition to being silent.

I don't think so! You're usually quite to the point and thus easy to read. But I'd let you know anyway, don't worry ;)

Also, I'm hoping to visit @neko in the next couple months, so maybe that could be an opportunity to meet up irl at some point or other.
Yasssssss

Can you imagine a world composed exclusively of xNTJs?
I'm sure such a world would be a marvel of scientific and technological progress.

Or wiped out by endless conquests. :sweatsmile:

Back on topic: Ah, another Artemisia thread in which she has to remind us (and most of all herself) that she's still superior. Gotta keep those psychological defenses intact.

Sorry, her attitude brings out the sarcastic asshole in me.

Back on topic: Ah, another Artemisia thread in which she has to remind us (and most of all herself) that she's still superior. Gotta keep those psychological defenses intact.

I am the obvious superiorly superior soup nazi

I'm sure such a world would be a marvel of scientific and technological progress.

Or wiped out by endless conquests. :sweatsmile:

LOLOLOL! Spoke the words out of my mouth. I honestly was in a horrid mood yesterday and wrote this long ass paragraph about Artemisia's level of superiority complex and how she wrote another passive aggressive thread on how some individual(s) don't reach to her ridiculously high-standards, and basically saying lots of curse words and how it seems nothing or nobody will please her.

But I realized I am a child of God and refrained from posting.

Am I the only one who isn't bothered by this about @Artemisia? She is just how she is.
Yes, she sounds cold, standoffish, and superior in her posts. She is the ice queen. Her posts are always about uncertainty and vulnerability, too. She posts here to ask us for our opinions when she is not certain of the answer. She has also revealed her tender side here. She's talked a lot about her relationships over the years.
I appreciate the ice queen exterior.

LOLOLOL! Spoke the words out of my mouth. I honestly was in a horrid mood yesterday and wrote this long ass paragraph about Artemisia's level of superiority complex and how she wrote another passive aggressive thread on how some individual(s) don't reach to her ridiculously high-standards, and basically saying lots of curse words and how it seems nothing or nobody will please her.

But I realized I am a child of God and refrained from posting.

Ah yes; the daily struggles of an INFJ.

I've seen it happen with other types that with age their social circles get smaller as life for some people moves on then comes old age where friends are lost
I find that the older I get (I am now 36), the more time I enjoy spending with myself and the less I trust people's motives. Although I have several friends and hang out with them from time to time, I feel like they either become envious eventually or there is just not much to talk about with them apart from small talk. I suppose it doesn't help that I have chosen not to have children and to focus on my career and intellectual ambitions while many of my friends have started families and work full-time in jobs that they don't particularly love.
The only person I enjoy having around most of the time is my significant other, who is also into more or less the same things I am into (he is an INFP).
Do you think this is an INFJ trait or am I an oddball? I mean, have you become more or less social as you have grown into a mature adult?

Am I the only one who isn't bothered by this about @Artemisia? She is just how she is.
Yes, she sounds cold, standoffish, and superior in her posts. She is the ice queen. Her posts are always about uncertainty and vulnerability, too. She posts here to ask us for our opinions when she is not certain of the answer. She has also revealed her tender side here. She's talked a lot about her relationships over the years.
I appreciate the ice queen exterior.
In reflecting on my own reactions in this and similar threads, I would first say that I’m really interested in analyzing social dynamics. My ears always prick up when someone has misgivings or complaints about their surrounding environment or people they know. That’s why I regularly try to ferret out what, in my opinion, are parts that are not being looked at by the op. I kind of like to prod them to self-examine because social relationships are always a two-way street. It’s not that I’m looking to blame the person, but just to get a more complete picture of what the nature of their interactions with the person (or in general) look like in order to see if there are any patterns or perceptions that are contributing to the issue they brought up. When someone reacts to that with hostility or sarcasm, it always makes me wonder how genuinely they want to explore the issue as opposed to wanting validation. If it’s the latter, then yes, maybe we should just tell the OP “Yes you’re right” and call it a day. But I think that it’s also kind of important for people to display real-world reactions as well. You may not be moved and that’s fine, but I think that if she’s like “Why are people always “jealous” or resentful or seeming to talk about me negatively in general” then at least here she can see that folks think “Damn that’s harsh” (more crudely in my case) or that “This seems like an unhealthy outlook” more eloquently in others’ case. Fwiw.

Basically we don't really know what the people around Artemisia are actually like. Maybe they really are all terrible fuckers.
Most people suck so on one level I can empathize. It's sort of the nature of living though, we all suck in different ways. Not recognizing or admitting your own suckage while putting yourself in opposition to "everyone else's" suckage is a one way ticket to depressionville.

Funny thing is, when you place optimistic views onto others, suddenly you see that side of them which was actually there all along. Our minds are powerful in a lot of ways.

In reflecting on my own reactions in this and similar threads, I would first say that I’m really interested in analyzing social dynamics. My ears always prick up when someone has misgivings or complaints about their surrounding environment or people they know. That’s why I regularly try to ferret out what, in my opinion, are parts that are not being looked at by the op. I kind of like to prod them to self-examine because social relationships are always a two-way street. It’s not that I’m looking to blame the person, but just to get a more complete picture of what the nature of their interactions with the person (or in general) look like in order to see if there are any patterns or perceptions that are contributing to the issue they brought up. When someone reacts to that with hostility or sarcasm, it always makes me wonder how genuinely they want to explore the issue as opposed to wanting validation. If it’s the latter, then yes, maybe we should just tell the OP “Yes you’re right” and call it a day. But I think that it’s also kind of important for people to display real-world reactions as well. You may not be moved and that’s fine, but I think that if she’s like “Why are people always “jealous” or resentful or seeming to talk about me negatively in general” then at least here she can see that folks think “Damn that’s harsh” (more crudely in my case) or that “This seems like an unhealthy outlook” more eloquently in others’ case. Fwiw.

That's what makes you awesome.

Funny thing is, when you place optimistic views onto others, suddenly you see that side of them which was actually there all along. Our minds are powerful in a lot of ways.
Bingo.

Also I think it's interesting what happens when you treat people as if they are worthy of great honour (because they are). I'm talking about greeting your friends with a strong handshake and a big hearty smile and saying something like 'great to see you, man'; the same for when you leave, except you might say 'always a pleasure'. Of course to some people this might sound really formal, but it really isn't when done with genuine warmth and sentiment. For some people to be treated with such enthusiasm isn't really anything they experience in daily life and it can help to make them feel valued and respected. It's also just nice.

I think it's a generally worthy goal to behave in ways which strengthen the bonds between people - shoot for close relationships if possible.

On this point about holding a sympathetic view towards Artemesia when she exhibits these antisocial traits, my position has always been twofold:

i) I hope that if enough people tell her when she's being an arsehole, at some point it will sink in. This worked for some of my flaws as a younger man (e.g. the need to always be right).
ii) As @Ren's best friend in the whole wide world Jordan Peterson says of raising children: don't let them do anything which makes you dislike them. This means that if someone is behaving in an arseholish way, they absolutely should be discouraged in the strongest and clearest terms, for the benefit of themselves and the community.

So if posters respond with what essentially amounts to 'hey, Artemesia, you're being an antisocial bitch. Cut it out', I don't personally see any thing wrong or even hostile with that.