The Nuances Between INFP and INFJ | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

The Nuances Between INFP and INFJ

INFPs are sometimes said to be stupid, or incapable of higher thought. Myers said they could think quite well (her dad was an INFP scientist) and said that INFPs have more access to Ti than INTPs for instance had to Fi. She didn't know why this was the case. Lenore Thompson argues that INFPs have only crude useless thinking, and I think no one really wants to be typed as an idiot.

Vicky Jo has lots of distinctions between INFPs and INFJs. None of them make any sense to me. I'm torn between the two categories.

But one thing that gets me going is Ne. I like that stuff, but I can't last too long on it. I can be Jim Carrey - esque for about four hours, and then I need a few days to recuperate, in general.

I can do Fe but it's a drag.

Ne is a huge amount of fun, and I can write well in that state. Lenore Thompson argues that your auxiliary function is your chief asset. Could she be right about this?

I don't know. I know some INFPs and they strike me as humorless dummies for the most part. I kind of hate them. INFJs strike me as smarter. So I'd kind of rather be an INFJ.

MBTI is at least a lot clearer than the enneagram. There are no clear descriptions of the difference between four and five (sexual five is a lot like a four, and some kinds of four can be very analytical).

I've met only a few INTPs and INTJs, and that was plenty. I'd like to keep them at a remove of about two computer screens. They love to slice through you to make a point, and I find that less fun than they do, especially when it's me being sliced, especially when it's with an old rusty nail sharpened to a vicious point.

I mean, from the NFP/SXJs I know who have talked to me and I've "picked out" their Ne I get this:

My isfj dad, when very depressed feels completely swamped, like he's absolutely lost in the flow of life. He feels overwhelmed and nothing is going to work out.

My ENFP sister says when she goes driving, she sees herself as just one car in the massive line of cars, all working together pulling and pushing to get someone. (well, thats Ne ish, if not having some Ji jammed in there somewhere).

Ironically I also have a ENTP mom, and I have no idea what her Ne looks like. I think she's ashamed of not being a good wife, she subconsciously tries to be total Si user.

This is an INFJ forum.
Most people will want to type themselves as INFJ, because this way they can be understood, liked and/or fit in.
Why would you type yourself as ISTP, even if you know you're one? You'll be much more important if you're INFJ!

This forum is full of ISFPs and ISFJs in denial.
My reply is very very OOT. I think I'll just make a new topic.

OOT sounds like a type of transportation system. like a bus route.

or a type of adverb in owl speak

The funny thing is, I would see Fi as being the feeling function that people would want to associate with more then Fe. The stereotype is that Fe is non-assertive and yielding to pressure and disharmony.
That makes sense... the whole, "rugged individualist" ideal in western culture..but when it comes down to it..And it's just my perspective, but I just don't see that as the case. People do value conformity because it's safe and comfortable for most. The INFP can't help but be seen as a judge. Whether they speak up or not, their disapproval or refusal to participate in what is common place can be perceived as annoying by the less tolerant.

Actually.. I suppose if you had a roomful of people who had some knowledge of mbti, most would be unable to distinguish between the INFP and the INFJ in person...

It's only on typology forums that the INFP is reviled for their feeling.
And the descriptions!
Who wants to be told that when very upset, they are unable to use reasoning?
The feeling is so emphasized in INFP descriptions, that is almost seems the INFP is incapable of reason.

INFJs on the other hand, are pegged as feeling/thinking hybrids..The 'almost INTJ'.

Last edited:
I've always seen NFPs as society's ideal version of what an NF should be. They don't push on people, they see the big picture very easily, they want everyone to be themselves, but they can still respect the way things have been, and the hierarchy of things. If an NFJ goes awry they're just like a hot mess. A psychic hot mess. Oooh, this could get steamy.

I think next you should elaborate on the nuances between INFJ and INTJ.

[MENTION=708]VH[/MENTION] Okay, that makes sense, thank you.

My knowledge of typological theory is incomplete, but I thought Fe was a kind of social POD service. It's a "moving" function, not necessarily a supportive one. Awareness of social dynamic doesn't necessitate one be a slave to it; in fact, my ENFJ mother and I (INFJ) clash quite a bit because we have differing ideas of what's acceptable - "acceptable" can be from others or from the self, to whatever end. I don't know enough about Fi to comment, so I'll hush on this.

My only experience with INFPs is an English teacher I had, and we complemented each other quite well. She was able to offer alternative explanations to my Ni, while poking holes in the validity of some of my Fe viewpoints - all to the end-game idea of living life instead of reserving efforts for a massive, earth-shaking quest. I was a font of structure to balance her Fi's passion and pinpointed frames of reference with my Ni to focus her Ne and Te.

In short: as with most things, moderation is key.

I don't know. I know some INFPs and they strike me as humorless dummies for the most part. I kind of hate them. INFJs strike me as smarter. So I'd kind of rather be an INFJ.

This seems a bit unnecessary, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I know some INFPs and they strike me as humorless dummies for the most part. I kind of hate them. INFJs strike me as smarter. So I'd kind of rather be an INFJ.

My sense is this speaks more to your perception than that which is perceived.

cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Edith
Vicky Jo has lots of distinctions between INFPs and INFJs. None of them make any sense to me. I'm torn between the two categories.

Vicky Jo makes the classic mistake a lot of INFJs make. She over analyzes and over clarifies which causes the assumption that the state of being an INFJ can only fit an overly specific model. The variance in the INFJs on this forum proves her wrong.

Last edited:
This seems a bit unnecessary, in my opinion.

Frankly, INFPs are supposed to be smarter than most so... I think he/she ( I didn't bother to see who posted what you quoted) I hope is just referring to appearances.

@ Vh, I do like a lot of Vicky Jo's writings, but I agree with you on that. She can also give clarifications, which at the same time only confuse. Or really too vague to even be able to get into. I also think she should do an ENFJ/INFJ. But obviously thats just from my personal experience.

INFJs and INFPs excel at different things. If you think about it, each type is bound to have a weakness that the other one makes up for. The INFJ lacks at everything that the INFP is good at, and vice-versa. Just think that for every strength you as an INFJ have, you have the same weakness in an area that an INFP will kick your ass at.

Would you say that your hand is better than your foot? No, they all have their different purpose and functionality. Sometimes a foot is necessary for an activity that you're undertaking, and sometimes it will be your hand. And better yet, it is the synergy of the two that makes for the most efficient and best position to be in because you can carry a jug of water with your hands and at the same time use your feet to take it to a different place. An INFJ and INFP working together can accomplish great things, since they are both using their strengths to make whatever endeavor the most productive, and at the same time, when mature, both can call upon the weakness of the other to take care of the blindspots that can emerge in the process.

And when you look at it on a whole bigger view, each person, regardless of personality type are only parts, but when you have all these parts working together, that's when the real magic begins.

Simplest way to differentiate INFJ vs. INFP:

Does your confusion stem from the fact that the descriptions aren't accurate enough to fit you (INFJ's Ti need to clarify), or are they too accurate to contain you (INFP's Fi need to be unique)?

I like your question of clarify vs. unique-ify (a term that my professor coined). I don't think I'm INFP (even though I have a fairly good P-function), because my need to show the world who I "really am" doesn't necessarily include the need to be unique. In fact, I love to blend in (while being/showing who I am). Rather, I am automatically attracted to Lenore/Thompson, for example, because I genuinely want to clarify the differences and know the subtleties of each type and how to deal with (or not deal with), appreciate, and learn from each type.

And when you look at it on a whole bigger view, each person, regardless of personality type are only parts, but when you have all these parts working together, that's when the real magic begins.

Your point seems to center on a cooperative/organizational view of life, which I can understand but may be flawed. We are all unique individuals, whether we cooperate or not. In fact, organizations can be quite problematic, because they can force people into certain molds ─ people who may have a poor sense of self. As an INFJ, it's difficult to express my emotions, only logic and conventional emotions. It wasn't till I spent more time alone or with safe companions that I realized I could express the more vulnerable feelings.

That makes sense... the whole, "rugged individualist" ideal in western culture..but when it comes down to it..And it's just my perspective, but I just don't see that as the case. People do value conformity because it's safe and comfortable for most. The INFP can't help but be seen as a judge. Whether they speak up or not, their disapproval or refusal to participate in what is common place can be perceived as annoying by the less tolerant.

Actually.. I suppose if you had a roomful of people who had some knowledge of mbti, most would be unable to distinguish between the INFP and the INFJ in person...

It's only on typology forums that the INFP is reviled for their feeling.
And the descriptions!
Who wants to be told that when very upset, they are unable to use reasoning?
The feeling is so emphasized in INFP descriptions, that is almost seems the INFP is incapable of reason.

INFJs on the other hand, are pegged as feeling/thinking hybrids..The 'almost INTJ'.

Each of your statements above are of interest. I think INFP's are very capable of reason--despite descriptions to the contrary--although I had an INFP friend who appreciated whenever people inform him about what the reason/logic/reality of a given circumstance was. As an INFJ, I run into such feeling-centered ruts all the time where I need to reevaluate and ask for extra ways to think about a situation that I can be at peace with.

It's interesting that INFP's are so forthrightly nonconventional. In fact, this can help me identify more as an INFJ, because my brand of nonconventionality is often through symbolic actions, words, and argumentation (publicly or privately). INFP's are more direct and simplified in their nonconformity. They seem to live it. My INFP friend would often wear tasteful clothing but also stuff that seemed over-the-top, exaggerated, or intentionally special ─ there was a punch to it. I would surmise that INFP's issue statements of nonconformity to change conventional ways of doing things or activities, while often seeking the companionship and structure of social groups. Meanwhile, INFJ's conform when they seek more approval and become unfeeling in larger groups of people.

The INFP seems judgmental, yet these words seem often overly idealistic and out of place. But what they want - according to my intuition - is inclusion. They seem to have little patience in situations where their desire to change a situation are clipped by people's limited imagination for a scenario. They seem to have all kinds of silly notions that need to be put into action that seem to have little bearing on the world, but under that kind of randomness, they are actually using Ne - just as INFJ's use Fe according to situations.

For example, why should people have to do things a certain way? Why should they have to have the main course before dessert? Why can't we mix blue and green? Why can't I wear bright red when other people are somber? The INFJ might seek the ideal and the possible with the same goal in mind: people should be who they are and not feel constrained to comply with senseless procedures and norms. The INFP is courageous to show it intensely and spontaneously on the outside, whereas the INFJ seems to be much more subtle and gradual with the change that he is trying to accomplish and, meanwhile, making an unreasonable effort to fit in. But I doubt that an INFJ really wants to be different as much as he just wants to be himself.

You can always tell an INTJ and INFJ apart, by the INFJ's often more enthusiastic and colored tone of voice, even when discussing issues of importance; and then the INTJ and INFJ would be drawn to different kinds of discussions/interactions in the first place. They don't watch the same movies, for example.

Last edited: