The INFj: Genius or Giftedness . . . | INFJ Forum

The INFj: Genius or Giftedness . . .

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I'm interested in the nature of genius and giftedness in adults.

This is a question for all the INFj "gifted" adults or geniuses on the board (for those who choose to be honest about it) :m197::

For those who may be interested, like myself, in the experience of being a genius or being an extremely gifted adult in your own words, how do you demonstrate this everyday (if you do), how do you relate to others, or how do others relate to you, and how do you see yourself and relate to your own genius or giftedness.

I'm not assuming anything about what it means to be genius or gifted, but I'm interested in how each person understands their own experiences and relate to it individually separate from society's image and perception of this segment of the population.

Edit: I am not asking anyone to play up their smarts or giftedness. I am just interested in how you specifically understand it and it's value or relevance for you and how it may directly or indirectly affect your interaction with others because of it, whether you deny it or affirm it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandie33 and rawr
giftedness?? I assume you include some form of creative genius in your grouping of genius'

OK, Ill bite...I don't consider myself incredibly gifted. I am far too humble, as most people say to me. What I know about my creative genius is only from outside opinion, not of my own. So according to a group of my peers I am amazing, in my writing style, and art style.

So how do I demonstrate it on an everyday basis? I don't, I hide it...

Explain by what you mean by "gifted," and how you measure "genius." Did you have to be enrolled in the gifted program at school (decided by a 1 hour standardized test that could be studied and learned by anyone willing to put in the extra effort) or do you need a certain IQ?

I think I'm above-average in intelligence with an IQ of 132, for example, but does that make me a genius? What would I have to do to be considered gifted?

Reactions: just me
I find solace with my own blend of humor. I'm by no means a savant nor do I have savant syndrome, but on a good day I am... more fully aware.

Most of this extra awareness - as I will refer to it - results in frustration and/or irritation. This began in my early teens when I started to notice errors all around me. Errors in class room teachings, errors in book and magazine publications and most annoyingly errors in my own thought processes, which had been force fed to me.

Were it not for my strong desire to fit in to social groups, I would most assuredly be a proverbial whistle blower and quite possibly hated by everyone.

I've learned to keep my mouth shut, but it slips out now and again. As I've grown I've become less concerned with it, aside for the case of keeping a job. Hah.

Meh, i don't really consider myself anything because 1) everybody is good at something, IQ tests are limited to certain things and 2) I really don't like boasting about my virtues, from other peoples perspective I'm seen weirdly smart(tested 141), I really try to avoid any sort of conversation about it though.

Reactions: 5ufvdee369jcdd
Explain by what you mean by "gifted," and how you measure "genius." Did you have to be enrolled in the gifted program at school (decided by a 1 hour standardized test that could be studied and learned by anyone willing to put in the extra effort) or do you need a certain IQ?

Interesting question. I am using societal and standardized IQ tests to frame what I mean by genius or giftedness, but I'm not holding to that definition. I'm looking to understand how for everyone maneuvres the labels or genius or giftedness for themselves. How do you define or understand it vs. societal standards or perceptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn87c901
giftedness?? I assume you include some form of creative genius in your grouping of genius'

OK, Ill bite...I don't consider myself incredibly gifted. I am far too humble, as most people say to me. What I know about my creative genius is only from outside opinion, not of my own. So according to a group of my peers I am amazing, in my writing style, and art style.

So how do I demonstrate it on an everyday basis? I don't, I hide it...

Creativity . . . definitely yes! There are so many types of genius and giftedness that I'm NOT basing anything on a restrictive definition.

Last edited:
I think the beauty of "genious" or "giftedness" is that it can't be defined. People who are that way, know their virtues and knowing what they themselves are worth---and using it to the better of others and world, is enough. You don't need to show it. (I guess, you can also say, for some people---it may take time to even have others understand their gift)

How do you define or understand it vs. societal standards or perceptions.

Society's mental image of genius directly correlates to wealth and fame. Yet most true genius minds desire neither of those things. Many have the desire to create change in the world (not so different from anyone else on earth), but no amount of intellect will substitute hard work or simply being born into a comparatively better situation.

It ought to be implied that a human with a lesser ability in some respect has no less value, and the opposite should be true as well.

I will laugh at the irony of my quote now.

"Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized." -Albert Einstein

Last edited:
I've been considered "gifted" for as long as I can remember. Right now, I'm enrolled in a residential high school for gifted students, and my SAT stands at a 2020 (backed behind about a good week of studying).

So I don't know what I would say. I'm around other "gifted" students and people almost constantly. I haven't had too much trouble relating to others because of my giftedness; in fact, I'd say I understand them better because of it. It's never been difficult for me to understand situations in-depth, and I've never really had to try too hard except in a select few things (which was probably abnormally frustrating because of that).

The biggest thing, I would say, is the difficulty of trying to get others to understand what's important to me. I've always felt really disconnected and disinterested with "everyday life" -- the concept of just being happy where you are mystifies me. I'm never content with being where I am. I've got this insatiable, P-like appetite for anything different and interesting and profound.

So, I would say that relating to others isn't so much a problem as the restlessness I constantly feel with my situation.

I think genius is outside of us. It's something we can tune into, but it doesn't belong to us, so to take pride in moments of inspiration is perhaps erroneous. I'd rather just be glad for my transient moments of brilliance; thankful that I caught the muse of the moment, which I think is there for anyone to tap into. As for giftedness, I think natural talent is overrated in comparison with skill developed through hard work.
The few evident examples where a 'gift' seems to be inborn would more likely convince me that there are past lives, and that in a past life, the 'gifted' soul worked particularly hard to become proficient in a skill, and that perhaps the 'gift' was in the soul's ability to retain that hard won ability in a subsequent incarnation.

Well anything's possible. :)

Interesting responses.

Genius/Gifted,

These terms come to life when you compare the accomplishments two or more people. Due to this you would assume that these people you're comparing are similar in one or more areas they spend time/effort on. After all without any physical action at all you would never be able label someone as "genius" or "gifted".

The term genius and gifted relies solely one what fields in life you consider more important than others. After you decide that, you then compare the accomplishments of the people in that/those field(s).

Personally I care about the creativity and passion of a person. Those that are more adept at these fields I consider more important to the cause of the procreation of ideas & experiences. Those that have the most effect with their creativity and passion rank among my idea of genius or gifted (ex. Alexander the great, Famous Philosophers/Psychologist, Einstein, Tesla, etc).

In terms of myself being a genius, I don't know. I'll just list off a bunch of things I know about myself.

Some people think my IQ and EQ is high.

I've understood and thought of many theories of Nietzsche, Jung, and the core ideas of various religions when I was a teenage without ever reading any of their work.

I can see social structures and analyze them on spot.

I can see the nature's (trees,citys,etc) shape and view it from many perspectives including as an organic mass, it's emotions, it's idea, etc.

I store every detail I notice in my mind and create many databases to reach into for further judging as well as theory creation.

I use visualization to open up paths in my mind that I did not have access to before.

I use visualization to speed up my database correlations within my mind by assigning feelings to various sectors of information and then feelings in the individual pieces of data. This allows fusion, comparison and further theory development that was unavailable before due to distance/time.

I use visualization to personally destroy and kill parts of myself that inspires fear.

I can and usually do view myself from a 3rd person and I am always monitoring what I do, feel and think.

I am one person but within me I am many people. This council of myself, communicate with one another and come to conclusions together on harder decisions/theory/planning/etc (the council is made up of about 9). On easier decisions/theory/planning/etc they usually make the decision themselves or have one of two others talk with them if it relates to them. Each of the these aspects of myself govern their own specialty area. All of them however works together of goal of truly understanding various ideas as well as achieving personal and physical goals. When one is out line the others can restrain another. If one is no longer and will not comply with the over all goals of the others, the others will destroy or weaken that one to the point they no longer have a say in the council.

This council has allowed me to do many things one of which is to temporary change into another personality type to unlock mental/thinking/emotions structures that was not available to me as an INFJ. The extent to that ability so far is INTJ, INTP, INFP, INFJ, ENFJ.

The universe works together to create and destroy and my body and mind does the same.

Worthy note- I did not know what was left or what was right till about the age of 16.

Last edited:
Genius/Gifted,

These terms come to life when you compare the accomplishments two or more people. Due to this you would assume that these people you're comparing are similar in one or more areas they spend time/effort on. After all without any physical action at all you would never be able label someone as "genius" or "gifted".

The term genius and gifted relies solely one what fields in life you consider more important than others. After you decide that, you then compare the accomplishments of the people in that/those field(s).

Personally I care about the creativity and passion of a person. Those that are more adept at these fields I consider more important to the cause of the procreation of ideas & experiences. Those that have the most effect with their creativity and passion rank among my idea of genius or gifted (ex. Alexander the great, Famous Philosophers/Psychologist, Einstein, Tesla, etc).

In terms of myself being a genius, I don't know. I'll just list off a bunch of things I know about myself.

Some people think my IQ and EQ is high.

I've understood and thought of many theories of Nietzsche, Jung, and the core ideas of various religions when I was a teenage without ever reading any of their work.

I can see social structures and analyze them on spot.

I can see the nature's (trees,citys,etc) shape and view it from many perspectives including as an organic mass, it's emotions, it's idea, etc.

I store every detail I notice in my mind and create many databases to reach into for further judging as well as theory creation.

I use visualization to open up paths in my mind that I did not have access to before.

I use visualization to speed up my database correlations within my mind by assigning feelings to various sectors of information and then feelings in the individual pieces of data.

I use visualization to personally destroy and kill parts of myself that inspires fear.

I can and usually do view myself from a 3rd person and I am always monitoring what I do, feel and think.

I am one person but within me I am many people. This council of myself, communication with one another and come to conclusions together on harder decisions/theory/planning/etc (the council is made up of about 9). On easier decisions/theory/planning/etc they usually make the decision themselves or have one of two others talk with them if it relates to them. Each of the these aspects of myself govern their own specialty area. All of them however works together of goal of truly understanding various ideas as well as achieving personal and physical goals. When one is out line the others can restrain another. If one is no longer and will not comply with the over all goals of the others, the others will destroy or weaken that one to the point they no longer have a say in the council.

This council has allowed me to do many things one of which is to temporary change into another personality type to unlock mental/thinking/emotions structures that was not available to me as an INFJ. The extend to that ability so far is INTJ, INTP, INFP, INFJ, ENFJ.

The universe works together to create and destroy and my body and mind does the same.

Thanks for responding. I was hoping someone would describe their thinking processes and self-concept. I can relate to a little of what you say. But as you've said, it's difficult to define it because it is an experience rather than a particular way of thinking (or maybe not). It sees all the possibilities at once. It conceives of ideas without proof, and imagines the world as a composite of interrelated ideas, thoughts, actions, emotions, feelings, etc. It's not separate from who you are. It's a part of the individual, how they think, perceive, and conceive.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. I was hoping someone would describe their thinking processes and self-concept. I can relate to a little of what you say. But as you've said, it's difficult to define it because it is an experience rather than a particular way of thinking (or maybe not). It sees all the possibilities at once. It conceives of ideas without proof, and imagines the world as a composite of interrelated ideas, thoughts, actions, emotions, feelings, etc. It's not separate from who you are. It's a part of the individual, how they think, perceive, and conceive. So, that's why I find it so interesting.

All of existence, living and non living is an experience. The idea of being a complete individual is in my opinion a lie. We are all something else other than ourselves as our environment affects/inspires/teaches us.

Last edited:
All it seems to do is make people understand and like the person less.

Why do you think? What are the misconceptions?

I think I'm above-average in intelligence with an IQ of 132, for example, but does that make me a genius? What would I have to do to be considered gifted?

Per definition you are not gifted nor a genius. However there are certain aspects IQ tests can't test very well, they are generally poor at testing communicative skills, how good you are at verbalizing your thoughts, ones thought process when it comes to more abstract concepts and philosophical topics.

Per se IQ tests generally favor the mathematically strong, that's at least my impression after having taken countless tests in my youth, which in turn gives a half finished picture of your overall intelligence, imo anyway.

You can't really evaluate ones overall intelligence properly with a questionnaire, but it can give you a certain indication of how well your brain deals with various problems.

I consider myself a much better judge of how intelligent someone are than any IQ tests out there, however I have yet to meet anyone with vastly superior intelligence, in which case my own intelligence would be a limiting factor in evaluating his/hers intelligence.

All of existence, living and non living is an experience. The idea of being a complete individual is in my opinion a lie. We are all something else other than ourselves as our environment affects/inspires/teaches us.

An individual is a composite of ideas and thoughts, and is also a component of a larger whole. Simply because the individual is a component of the whole (i.e. environment, etc.), doesn't signify it doesn't exist. Possibly the best way to think of the "individual" is to conceive it as working concept which allows us to acknowledge the "separateness" of each person from another.

An individual is a composite of ideas and thoughts, and is also a component of a larger whole. Simply because the individual is a component of the whole (i.e. environment, etc.), doesn't signify it doesn't exist. Possibly the best way to think of the "individual" is to conceive it as working concept which allows us to acknowledge the "separateness" of each person from another.

I never said it did not exist, I said complete individuality (absolute individuality) is probably a lie.

Even under your perspective/interpretation of my comment/opinion, something would still exist. Something does not have to be absolutely unique to be of existence or of value.

Last edited: