The Four Institutions | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

The Four Institutions

Thanks Satya.

Yeah, I was really just shooting into the dark and trying to sound intelligent without doing any actual research. I'll try not to do that again - don't think I can get away with it so easily here! ;)

Not with INTPs lurking about!

As I was reading an article about Somalia this morning, I began to think about this thread, the premise of the four institutions, and which I would choose to wield power.

I considered that in the particular case of Somalia it seems Religion, one institution I expressed valuing but in Somalia an expression differing from that I have experience with, effectively met the needs of it's community at least for a short time. The United States, not valuing that particular expression of power, sought to dismantle it.

An institution I previously expressed having very little value for, the Market, also stepped up and met the needs of the Somali people at least better than other available institutions.

In Somalia, the Western world accepted standard of institutional power as government (or State) seems to be the least effective of them all.

I noted also that in the example of Somalia, Science and/or Philosophy seems to be entirely absent from the power dynamic.

The institution seemingly most effective at wielding power to meet the needs of the people in Somalia, at least as the author of the story quoted above has written the story, is Family or Clan. It is not a prominent institution of power in American or perhaps all of the Western world, but it is an important institution of power that was not touched on in this thread.

The article also highlighted for me something someone else mentioned in this thread. An exploration of power institutions does seem better described with Military being considered as a separate institution from State. In the overall American community certainly they are essentially one and the same, but I see how that is not always the case and in many communities Military is a power at odds with State.

Overall, my sense is that any particular community might be best served by any of the available institutions of power. I think that is best left to the particular community to sort out. I believe no institution of power will meet all the needs of all it's people, but I think any of the institutions of power could rise to the top as the best option for that community. I value a diplomacy that acknowledges this and allows for various communities to sort out for themselves what will best serve their needs.

Last edited:
As I was reading an article about Somalia this morning, I began to think about this thread, the premise of the four institutions, and which I would choose to wield power.

I considered that in the particular case of Somalia it seems Religion, one institution I expressed valuing but in Somalia an expression differing from that I have experience with, effectively met the needs of it's community at least for a short time. The United States, not valuing that particular expression of power, sought to dismantle it.

An institution I previously expressed having very little value for, the Market, also stepped up and met the needs of the Somali people at least better than other available institutions.

In Somalia, the Western world accepted standard of institutional power as government (or State) seems to be the least effective of them all.

I noted also that in the example of Somalia, Science and/or Philosophy seems to be entirely absent from the power dynamic.

The institution seemingly most effective at wielding power to meet the needs of the people in Somalia, at least as the author of the story quoted above has written the story, is Family or Clan. It is not a prominent institution of power in American or perhaps all of the Western world, but it is an important institution of power that was not touched on in this thread.

The article also highlighted for me something someone else mentioned in this thread. An exploration of power institutions does seem better described with Military being considered as a separate institution from State. In the overall American community certainly they are essentially one and the same, but I see how that is not always the case and in many communities Military is a power at odds with State.

Overall, my sense is that any particular community might be best served by any of the available institutions of power. I think that is best left to the particular community to sort out. I believe no institution of power will meet all the needs of all it's people, but I think any of the institutions of power could rise to the top as the best option for that community. I value a diplomacy that acknowledges this and allows for various communities to sort out for themselves what will best serve their needs.

Good find, Tovlo! And great insights! You're right - family/clan wasn't hit on at all, but is definitely a powerful institution in many cultures. I really liked your last paragraph - it depends on culture, circumstances, etc. Even Market isn't totally greedy or useless. :wink:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4738
Thank you for your link to FP. There is another article that caught my eye there as well. It is one containing the situation in Afghanistan.
The ruling parties that were cast out were happily thrown away, though making it an obsession to coerce their way back into power has been their goal since. America's meddling into the affairs there was welcomed, as has been exemplified around the world by different attitudes of adjustments and grievances. Not everywhere we have strove to better help have we been welcomed. Not every means we have tried to help with have been acceptable. Not every parlor or kingdom we have been to seeking help has been receptive or offered their services.
To he whom much has been given, much shall be required.
I feel our stance on spreading democracy a downfall in world affairs. I have spoken of this with a few close to me in the past. I also feel if America could possibly steer their ship to port or starboard just a bit to allow the entire crew a better, needed view of what was going on in their sights and in their path would allow the crew to help the captain better on this voyage they have undertaken in world affairs. Auto-pilot is close-mindedness, I do agree. Idle hands are not the better.
Satya, could you entertain other than four institutions? Is family part of church or state? Is it its own institution? Is family values large enough to be considered? I am pleading with you and have no alterior motives, as I can relate to what was spoken up above my posts. Can M&P be considered in third world situations an entity of its own?

Last edited: