The Eurovision Song Contest | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

The Eurovision Song Contest

After hearing all the songs I'm still convinced it has to be Australia, though Iceland would perhaps be more interesting as a winner.

I like how the crowd is singing along and clapping with every song. And this is the first time in a long while when Russia hasn't been booed (as far as I know) but received the same kind of enthusiasm from the crowd as others.

I'm very tired though. Should I still stay up for two hours to hear the results!!?!

Not looking forward to Madonna, I still remember the fiasco with Justin Timberlake when his performance really didn't compare favourably with many of the contestants.

Edit:
I don't think Iceland has a real chance though because even if they topped the televotes, the juries wouldn't vote for them. In the recent past the juries were also instructed to vote for radio-friendly songs, so that's going to drop the points of more interesting entries. :unamused:

Last edited:
Wow I hope the Icelandic delegation will be safe going to the hotel and leaving the country. There were demands before the event that countries should boycott the contest because of the Palestine situation, but nothing like that happened. And now in the heart of Israel these few people made such a statement. It's very striking. Imagine going to a country in a conflict, performing at an event that's seen by 200 million people, and then showing a scarf of the other party right when everyone's waiting for the winner to be announced. No matter how you view the political issue or whether politics has a place at such an event, that's a brave thing to do.

Finnish public gave 12 points to Iceland which was nice. And it was fun to see Norway get so many public votes after being neglected by the juries.

Like last year I'm thinking they should get rid of the juries. They're supposed to reduce bloc voting but they're actually making it worse, and also taking the more conservative route, favouring more traditional pop songs.

Madonna was terribly out of tune :(.

The Belarussian jury had been dismissed after they had revealed their Semi-Final votes in an interview. Consequently their jury points were "an aggregated result approved by the auditors". Smells fishy: the only jury points Israel got was the 12 points from Belarus. Also they gave good points to Germany, and points to Spain and the UK, none of which were popular with other juries. So the points "approved by the auditors" were coincidentally given to the hosting country and the biggest funders. It's Lys Assia all over again.

(Lys Assia won the very first contest for Switzerland; the Luxembourg jury wasn't able to cast their votes, so Switzerland was allowed to vote on their behalf. This is the only contest from which the votes haven't been made public)