The Eurovision Song Contest | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

The Eurovision Song Contest

Feeling somewhat deflated. I don't know if I'll remember any of the songs next year, but I guess that's typical. Sometimes there can be even 5 songs I'll remember but not this time, as none of the compositions really grabbed me although there were performances I was impressed with. But it was good fun.

Ah.. Eurovision. It's insane, lol. I didn't realise "toy" was such a big YouTube hit already. Gave them a big advantage.

I think the UK needs to go back to the drawing board, stop Brexit, swallow our pride, and ask Austria for help.

Or even (gulp) the French.

:(

eurovision-2010-jpg.42265
I had to check whether this was pure fiction but yes, indeed, Sweden has once failed to qualify in 2010.

There's actually been an article in a peer-reviewed journal (of computational sociology) about the voting blocs. This picture represents the situation 2001-2005, but I think it's still pretty accurate. I'm a bit surprised that there's no UK/Ireland bloc in the study. But maybe the voting hasn't been reciprocal there, which must also be the reason why the Russian bloc seems so small. In this diagram Norway and Sweden give each other points, but Iceland only gets points from Norway, a bit like in the comic. I'm not going to claim it's all political though, I think it has more to do with neighbours having similar tastes.

fig2.gif

That comic (Satwcomic) jokes about stereotypes and differences between mostly Nordic countries, but other countries pop up. (If you can't take a jab at your own country, don't read it.) There was a big section on Eurovision.

The chart you posted is interesting. I agree it seems more likely that some countries have similar tastes.

It's Eurovision time again! I thought we could continue last year's thread so James will get an alert on his Skyphone and maybe keep up with what's going on. Who knows? Maybe just remove the year from the thread name @Lady Jolanda?

The Semi-Finals have finished. I already have some Eurovision fatigue, for I didn't have the stamina to pay as much attention today as on Tuesday, or maybe the songs just weren't as good. The Netherlands is apparently the favourite to win. I quite liked Denmark's and Norway's songs from the second SF, but overall I don't agree with the assessment that it had better songs. For example, I can't understand the fuss about Sweden's song. Oh well.

My favourite so far is Australia. Other memorable songs were Iceland (reminded me of Rammstein's Engel.. but more industrial) (a part of me would like this to win :smilingimp:) and Czech Republic (cute boys with an 80s vibe.. a bit like funkier Talk Talk)

Australia

Iceland

Czech Republic

Lol siiigh... Where to even begin. Finland never gets to final or if it does then it's in the last place hahaah! We should take example from Sweden.
Haha we all should take example from Sweden:smile:
But Lordi.. Hard Rock halleluja. They won! :smile:

Not surprisingly, I'm a fan of HATARI.

Sounds like Skinny Puppy, Depeche Mode, Rammstein and Tom of Finland got put in a blender together and then poured over beautiful Iceland.