Teachers: "my profession no longer exists" | INFJ Forum

Teachers: "my profession no longer exists"

Odyne

===========
Banned
Aug 19, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
A fantastic article from the Washingtonpost publishing a resignation letter of a social studies teacher who's been teaching for 40 years, where he addresses some concerns about where education is heading. I apologize I couldn't summarize it, but I will post it here and attempt to highlight what points, I think, it was bringing to light.

I would love to hear your opinions about this; especially you teachers, students, parents and anyone else directly affected by it.

Dear Mr. Barduhn and Board of Education Members:
It is with the deepest regret that I must retire at the close of this school year, ending my more than twenty-seven years of service at Westhill on June 30, under the provisions of the 2012-15 contract. I assume that I will be eligible for any local or state incentives that may be offered prior to my date of actual retirement and I trust that I may return to the high school at some point as a substitute teacher.

As with Lincoln and Springfield, I have grown from a young to an old man here; my brother died while we were both employed here; my daughter was educated here, and I have been touched by and hope that I have touched hundreds of lives in my time here. I know that I have been fortunate to work with a small core of some of the finest students and educators on the planet.

I came to teaching forty years ago this month and have been lucky enough to work at a small liberal arts college, a major university and this superior secondary school. To me, history has been so very much more than a mere job, it has truly been my life, always driving my travel, guiding all of my reading and even dictating my television and movie viewing. Rarely have I engaged in any of these activities without an eye to my classroom and what I might employ in a lesson, a lecture or a presentation. With regard to my profession, I have truly attempted to live John Dewey’s famous quotation (now likely cliché with me, I’ve used it so very often) that “Education is not preparation for life, education is life itself.” This type of total immersion is what I have always referred to as teaching “heavy,” working hard, spending time, researching, attending to details and never feeling satisfied that I knew enough on any topic. I now find that this approach to my profession is not only devalued, but denigrated and perhaps, in some quarters despised. STEM rules the day and “data driven” education seeks only conformity, standardization, testing and a zombie-like adherence to the shallow and generic Common Core, along with a lockstep of oversimplified so-called Essential Learnings. Creativity, academic freedom, teacher autonomy, experimentation and innovation are being stifled in a misguided effort to fix what is not broken in our system of public education and particularly not at Westhill.

A long train of failures has brought us to this unfortunate pass. In their pursuit of Federal tax dollars, our legislators have failed us by selling children out to private industries such as Pearson Education. The New York State United Teachers union has let down its membership by failing to mount a much more effective and vigorous campaign against this same costly and dangerous debacle. Finally, it is with sad reluctance that I say our own administration has been both uncommunicative and unresponsive to the concerns and needs of our staff and students by establishing testing and evaluation systems that are Byzantine at best and at worst, draconian. This situation has been exacerbated by other actions of the administration, in either refusing to call open forum meetings to discuss these pressing issues, or by so constraining the time limits of such meetings that little more than a conveying of information could take place. This lack of leadership at every level has only served to produce confusion, a loss of confidence and a dramatic and rapid decaying of morale. The repercussions of these ill-conceived policies will be telling and shall resound to the detriment of education for years to come. The analogy that this process is like building the airplane while we are flying would strike terror in the heart of anyone should it be applied to an actual airplane flight, a medical procedure, or even a home repair. Why should it be acceptable in our careers and in the education of our children?

My profession is being demeaned by a pervasive atmosphere of distrust, dictating that teachers cannot be permitted to develop and administer their own quizzes and tests (now titled as generic “assessments”) or grade their own students’ examinations. The development of plans, choice of lessons and the materials to be employed are increasingly expected to be common to all teachers in a given subject. This approach not only strangles creativity, it smothers the development of critical thinking in our students and assumes a one-size-fits-all mentality more appropriate to the assembly line than to the classroom. Teacher planning time has also now been so greatly eroded by a constant need to “prove up” our worth to the tyranny of APPR (through the submission of plans, materials and “artifacts” from our teaching) that there is little time for us to carefully critique student work, engage in informal intellectual discussions with our students and colleagues, or conduct research and seek personal improvement through independent study. We have become increasingly evaluation and not knowledge driven. Process has become our most important product, to twist a phrase from corporate America, which seems doubly appropriate to this case.

After writing all of this I realize that I am not leaving my profession, in truth, it has left me. It no longer exists. I feel as though I have played some game halfway through its fourth quarter, a timeout has been called, my teammates’ hands have all been tied, the goal posts moved, all previously scored points and honors expunged and all of the rules altered.

For the last decade or so, I have had two signs hanging above the blackboard at the front of my classroom, they read, “Words Matter” and “Ideas Matter”. While I still believe these simple statements to be true, I don’t feel that those currently driving public education have any inkling of what they mean.

Sincerely and with regret,
Gerald J. Conti
Social Studies Department Leader
Cc: Doreen Bronchetti, Lee Roscoe

My little Zu.

Original link:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...nation-letter-my-profession-no-longer-exists/

Thoughts?

Reactions: muir
I completely agree.

Schools are turning into drone manufacturing plants where regurgitation is rewarded. It's not that independent thought isn't valued by most teachers (god knows every teacher loves to connect with their students, if only to break up the repetition of going over the same topic in the subject for the 5th year in a row), it's that there just isn't enough time, because they have to dedicate all of their time and energy into getting the lowest students to the point where they're going to pass the test...

This is all thanks to George W. Bush and his No Child Left Behind program-- schools in the US are being forced to compete for money... whoever gets the highest scores on the test gets a bonus-- which is one of the stupidest ideas ever, because if anything the LOWER performing students need the money for help. But of course, the low-performing schools aren't that way because of their local economy or cuts to social programs or because their parents are on heroin or don't have time to help their kids, they're that way because 'the teachers are lazy'.

So Laura Bush (I'm pretty sure it was her idea, and her dumbass husband just agreed while also seeing an opportunity to once help the rich and punish the poor) took the money that would have been distributed equally and made the schools fight for it.

Oh yeah, and with the new spending cuts (thanks again Republicans), you're probably going to see things getting much much worse. There has already been a huge scandal recently where the faculty was helping students to cheat so that they could get a bonus for their school... pretty soon they're going to be competing to see who gets to keep their jobs, or even to stay open... and then you'll see the schools firing teachers so they can afford to buy new computers while stuffing 40 plus kids into a single classroom. More and more kids will slip through the cracks while their teacher tries to get the ADHD kid to calm down. But it's more likely that they'd be reaching out to corporate sponsors before that happens-- which means more advertising in schools.

Call me cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the entire point.

[video=youtube;zDZFcDGpL4U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U[/video]

Reactions: the
This is unfortunate, though I am curious about the dig at STEM.

Last I heard, we're still quite behind in sciences. I think they can only become more relevant in a 21st-century, global marketplace.

"a misguided effort to fix what is not broken?" Test scores on an international scale, for what they're worth, do speak to something being off in our schools.

However, NCLB seems hardly the best protocol to go about fixing it: another good intention gone awry.

It's also important to remember this man is scantly an unbiased source.

Last edited:
This is unfortunate, though I am curious about the dig at STEM.

Last I heard, we're still quite behind in sciences. I think they can only become more relevant in a 21st-century, global marketplace.

I think the point is that the other departments are suffering because the emphasis is on science and math and not things like the arts, history or English.
He believes that the best education encourages and active interest in following your dreams and enriching your perspective, not in becoming a future employee.

It's a lot easier to test for maths and sciences because the answers tend to be more concrete... English and History tend to be more open to interpretation.

I think the point is that the other departments are suffering because the emphasis is on science and math and not things like the arts, history or English.

I happen to love the latter group, and never learned to fully embrace the former.

He believes that the best education encourages and active interest in following your dreams and enriching your perspective, not in becoming a future employee.

That's all well and good, but it's mere philosophy. I can see why the government is cracking down -- our position as economic domineers rests on our continued supremacy in the money-making and innovative fields. That supremacy is quickly waning, however...I'm personally not attached to the label "superpower." Countries like Sweden, Norway, Canada, etc., harbor an excellent quality of life without thirsting for domination. The citizens are also happily bereft of the arrogance that can come with that seat, not to mention the wars.

People in STEM will still be needed to maintain a competitive position. It is a just concern: without the impetus, how many of our citizens would choose to work in those fields? Would there be enough?

Last edited:
tumblr_m7bxdbCfO81qzmz4co1_500.gif

Sounds like the problem comes down to the Feds and the DoE (tax dollars, standardization, corporations). They never belonged in our schools to begin with. Leave it to the states.

Maybe this is because what is happening in the USA isn't completely true for what is happening in the UK with public education but I remember when I was in education (up to 2008?) I remember that there was a multitude of generic test exams that we would go over through out the course of a single year so that we were prepared exactly for what the exams would be like. That being said, the manner in which the teachers taught was actually rather varied, all interjecting their own personality into their work and doing off the cuff exercises to increase our knowledge. This stands out mostly in my Philosophy lessons in sixth form where we would randomly start having debates over the course of a lesson as the teacher was running us through his own slides. There were many things that man instilled in us as he taught, things that a one size fits all approach could never give to a student, perhaps I simply narrowly missed when this method was completely introduced.

This being said, I do remember when I later went onto an IT apprenticeship (which was run by Pearsons) where the trainers were literally regurgitating what they had been given which lead to many days of death by power point. The trainers were very lovely people and it was clear that they wish they could do other things to further our learning and understanding.

I think that this article is quite right as the teachers are facing further constraints on what they can and cannot do but I do believe that at some point we will see all of this begin to relax as grades begin to plateau or worsen due the stagnant manner of this strategy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randy-turner/a-warning-to-young-people_b_3033304.html

^Here's something even more depressing than the lack of creativity in classrooms.

No repercussions for bad behavior, the complete erosion of teacher's authority in the classroom, the end of all the very few benefits that teachers had… and my favorite part: students will now be able to decide whether or not their teachers continue to have a job.

I think public schools and colleges have become nothing more than indoctrination centers for the left.

I completely agree.

Schools are turning into drone manufacturing plants where regurgitation is rewarded. It's not that independent thought isn't valued by most teachers (god knows every teacher loves to connect with their students, if only to break up the repetition of going over the same topic in the subject for the 5th year in a row), it's that there just isn't enough time, because they have to dedicate all of their time and energy into getting the lowest students to the point where they're going to pass the test...

This is all thanks to George W. Bush and his No Child Left Behind program-- schools in the US are being forced to compete for money... whoever gets the highest scores on the test gets a bonus-- which is one of the stupidest ideas ever, because if anything the LOWER performing students need the money for help. But of course, the low-performing schools aren't that way because of their local economy or cuts to social programs or because their parents are on heroin or don't have time to help their kids, they're that way because 'the teachers are lazy'.

So Laura Bush (I'm pretty sure it was her idea, and her dumbass husband just agreed while also seeing an opportunity to once help the rich and punish the poor) took the money that would have been distributed equally and made the schools fight for it.

Oh yeah, and with the new spending cuts (thanks again Republicans), you're probably going to see things getting much much worse. There has already been a huge scandal recently where the faculty was helping students to cheat so that they could get a bonus for their school... pretty soon they're going to be competing to see who gets to keep their jobs, or even to stay open... and then you'll see the schools firing teachers so they can afford to buy new computers while stuffing 40 plus kids into a single classroom. More and more kids will slip through the cracks while their teacher tries to get the ADHD kid to calm down. But it's more likely that they'd be reaching out to corporate sponsors before that happens-- which means more advertising in schools.

Call me cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the entire point.

I agree with you that in the end it was not a good program, and brought about teachers teaching to the test.

George Bush proposed it, but it was coauthored by Representatives John Boehner (R-OH), George Miller (D-CA), and Senators Edward Kennedy (D-MA) and Judd Gregg (R-NH).
Also, more Democrats voted for No Child Left Behind than did Republicans.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/107-2001/h145

Last edited:
I think that if public schools are concentrating too much on STEM courses, then they arent doing a good enough job at concentrating on this. You cant get a STEM job with out a degree unless you know someone who is willing to throw you a bone. There is not enough regurgitation going on imo in regards to kids knowing that this is how a cell works, this is how chemistry works, this is how engineering works, etc.

Even worse is that many kids want to go out and get a job instead of go out and make a job for themselves. Part of this is probably because they dont know how to do anything. Kids are being prepared to make it into college (college being the overinflated ego of a trade school, most kids dont go Ivy League), these colleges dont care if you know how to farm, or create, have interpersonal and leadership skills, or anything like that, just make sure you can take a test. They want to make sure you can pass a SAT test because then they know you can pass a test in their idiot-level classes and then the government dollars will keep flowing in to thier less- than- prestigious- university.

Basically American kids are being taught to be the wage slaves instead of the wage slave masters.

Last edited:
People in STEM will still be needed to maintain a competitive position. It is a just concern: without the impetus, how many of our citizens would choose to work in those fields? Would there be enough?

The problem is that the impetus is manufactured - there is nothing that exists now which is organically attracting students to STEM fields. The reason the US has a 3:1 ratio of lawyers to scientists is due in part to the lack of significant scientific endeavours throughout the nation, especially those spearheaded by the federal government. There's nothing for scientists to do and litigation has an air of considerable wealth about it, so people attract to the latter. In the 1960s and early 1970s every kid wanted to be a physicist or chemist or technologist or aerospace engineer because NASA and their exploits were well-renowned; kids wanted to be involved in something extraordinary like space and space exploration, so they were naturally attracted to STEM fields. Then the moon programs died, and the jobs disappeared.

In more recent years, there is nothing that really compels students to pursue those interests. STEM fields are exclusive, limited, and underfunded outside of education, making it nigh-impossible to commit any reasonable amount of resources to a project that doesn't have the immediate consequence of being financially profitable. There is such a dissonance in what government and educational institutions are doing in this regard that, for someone who can see more than ten seconds into the future, it's difficult to see where they expect the STEM push to lead.

More on-topic, however, I do agree that there is an unhealthy downplaying of the liberal arts and performing arts in schools in favor of STEM, such that it's almost taboo to say that one wants to be a writer, philosopher, musician, or actor. It's repulsing to see what amounts to the institutionalized murder of personal ambition.

There is not enough stress on the importance of logic and mathematical reasoning early on. If this is stressed more, then more careers in STEM would appear and more would be prepared for jobs in STEM.

In the present day - unlike a generation ago - teachers are basically those people whose marks were too low to get into any other degree.

How can anyone expect education to go anywhere but down, when you open a profession to the bottom of the barrel?

In the present day - unlike a generation ago - teachers are basically those people whose marks were too low to get into any other degree.

How can anyone expect education to go anywhere but down, when you open a profession to the bottom of the barrel?

Completely and utterly untrue.

People are attracted to it because it's supposed to be a stable, respectable job with decent hours and a chance to actually do some good in shaping children's futures. The world isn't as simple as 'the best people get the best marks get the best jobs'… that's a complete myth that needs to be laid to rest, and it's less true now than it has ever been.

In theory, teaching should be an extremely rewarding profession. When I was in teacher's college there were plenty of middle aged former professionals who had been downsized and were looking to get into something more stable and less cutthroat as well… it's a challenging job and a challenging program, and anyone who says otherwise is ignorant.

Completely and utterly untrue.

People are attracted to it because it's supposed to be a stable, respectable job with decent hours and a chance to actually do some good in shaping children's futures. The world isn't as simple as 'the best people get the best marks get the best jobs'… that's a complete myth that needs to be laid to rest, and it's less true now than it has ever been.

In theory, teaching should be an extremely rewarding profession. When I was in teacher's college there were plenty of middle aged former professionals who had been downsized and were looking to get into something more stable and less cutthroat as well… it's a challenging job and a challenging program, and anyone who says otherwise is ignorant.

If you wan't me to even begin entering into your constructed delusions about the quality of the individuals entering teaching degrees, you'll find a link from anywhere stating what the minimum entry requirements are for a teaching degree. (GPA, TER, etc.)

If you wan't me to even begin entering into your constructed delusions about the quality of the individuals entering teaching degrees, you'll find a link from anywhere stating what the minimum entry requirements are for a teaching degree. (GPA, TER, etc.)

You said:

And I'm saying that this is wrong, and that there are plenty of reasons that intelligent achievers get into teaching. The admissions process is different depending on the university, the area, the province/state, the country, etc. Some degrees are pretty much worthless unless you want to work in a really tough area. You can't just make a sweeping generalization rooted in ignorance and expect me to act as if it's true. I'm not saying there aren't any bad teachers (there are losers in EVERY field, probably even yours), just that that's definitely not the biggest problem.

And you're actually comparing people who spend 4 years in university and a year or so in teacher's college (which is usually the minimum today) to people who spent a single year in teacher's college and NO university (which happened in the past)? Where did you get it into your head that the people who taught you were somehow more educated than the people who are teaching now? Never mind that learning theory has evolved to almost completely discount the validity of the theories that were applied up until the 90s. Never mind that in some cases kids are expected to learn things in grade 6 that used to be grade 8 or 9… or if you're older, high school… and some of the older teachers don't even know what they're actually supposed to be teaching.

In almost every single school I've been to, it has always been the younger teachers who are willing to do more and try harder and painting them as losers who gave up on life and got stuck teaching is just so completely wrongheaded.

There is so much hate for teachers! Where I live, their hands are tied by restrictive curriculum and whittling budgets imposed by ignorant law makers.

And no, it's not easy getting into a teaching program. There are guidelines to get into a program-- so not just anyone can teach--at least in the US it is a part of licensure. I think the profession deserves much more respect and priority. Society is only shooting itself in the foot to do otherwise.

There is so much hate for teachers! Where I live, their hands are tied by restrictive curriculum and whittling budgets imposed by ignorant law makers.

And no, it's not easy getting into a teaching program. There are guidelines to get into a program-- so not just anyone can teach--at least in the US it is a part of licensure. I think the profession deserves much more respect and priority. Society is only shooting itself in the foot to do otherwise.

I agree, the profession deserves more respect than it gets. It is an incredibly difficult job, and at least at the elementary school level, teachers have so many demands on them. Also, it is kind of like the little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead -- when teachers are good, they are very, very good, but when they are bad they are horrid. I've definitely met more than one snobby and burned out teacher who is primarily interested in pay and tenure.

I've also met some wonderful ones who make such a positive impact on their students lives, and who, I am certain, would sacrifice their own lives for their students, if such a need arose, which, after Newtown certainly crosses the minds of a few of them. The teachers here all have university degrees, a majority have master's degrees, and they take continuing education and get additional training and certifications.

Also, there is no way in hell I could effectively teach a class full of 6-year olds. No freaking way. I thought about homeschooling at one point but quickly decided I was delusional about my own abilities and temperament and settled for trying to be extra-educational after hours. :/