Entyqua

Forgotten
Retired Staff
Jul 11, 2008
MBTI
INF
Enneagram
messed up
I am thinking about going on a sugar fast starting...oh NOW.

this is going to be tough because its nano, and when im writing i automatically reach for sugary treats to stimulate my mind.
I am hypoglycemic and have a history of issues with sugar. (sugar shock really sux)

So heres what I want to discuss.

Has anyone ever tried this?

What is "okay" to eat during this fast?
(in terms of the best fruits ect)

do you think there is any benefit in this?

is this just another hoax?

ive read a few articles online but anything anyone else has to share would be appreciated!

I am thinking about going on a sugar fast starting...oh NOW.

this is going to be tough because its nano, and when im writing i automatically reach for sugary treats to stimulate my mind.
I am hypoglycemic and have a history of issues with sugar. (sugar shock really sux)

So heres what I want to discuss.

Has anyone ever tried this?

What is "okay" to eat during this fast?
(in terms of the best fruits ect)

do you think there is any benefit in this?

is this just another hoax?

ive read a few articles online but anything anyone else has to share would be appreciated!

I've observed some others do low-carb diets and while it did work in terms of temporary lost weight, it also wrecked their immune systems... they're sick constantly now, catching everything that comes. Still, sugar is just one easy carb... you might be fine if you get other carbs in lieu of raw sugar (theoretically.)

I haven't heard of something called a sugar fast, although I've heard of other plans that limit sugar intake. Something you said made me think of the glycemic index and using that as a gauge for your sugar intake. Have you tried that? I wonder if it would be worth checking out.

I need to stop eating sugar, too. It's addictive! Ugh.

I need to stop eating sugar, too. It's addictive! Ugh.

Have you read the labels? Just curious because the most common sugar substitute (high fructose corn syrup) is essentially a narcotic... like sugar, it triggers pleasure sensors in the brain... UNLIKE sugar, it fails to trigger satisfaction sensors in the brain, so you keep wanting to go back for more where, with sugar instead, you eventually will feel full/satisfied and stop. Also, sugar can be metabolized by the body and so is healthy (in moderation) whereas HCFS cannot be metabolized by anything except the liver and even then only very inefficiently, so it serves essentially no positive purpose and goes straight to storage instead, whereas real sugar is easily released and used by the body when needed.

Sorry to harp on it today, it's just that important to know.

Reactions: kita
i am talking about the processed sugars. I would still eat fruits and vegies and other carbs. but strictly SUGAR. no sugar in the coffee (maybe honey) no sugary snacks (except fruit) and no soda. (which is harder for me that quitting smoking was)

I would never do an all carb fast. simply sugars...

i am talking about the processed sugars. I would still eat fruits and vegies and other carbs. but strictly SUGAR. no sugar in the coffee (maybe honey) no sugary snacks (except fruit) and no soda. (which is harder for me that quitting smoking was)

I would never do an all carb fast. simply sugars...

Ah, that is a relief... someone once tried to tell me that since fruity sugars are mostly fructose, that they're just the same as HFCS, but that's so horribly deceptive... natural fructose is in molecular bonds with natural sucrose and the body understands that; fructose in HFCS is unbound and is like the undead zombie lizardman cousin of fructose by comparison.

Reactions: DoveAlexa
Have you read the labels? Just curious because the most common sugar substitute (high fructose corn syrup) is essentially a narcotic... like sugar, it triggers pleasure sensors in the brain... UNLIKE sugar, it fails to trigger satisfaction sensors in the brain, so you keep wanting to go back for more where, with sugar instead, you eventually will feel full/satisfied and stop. Also, sugar can be metabolized by the body and so is healthy (in moderation) whereas HCFS cannot be metabolized by anything except the liver and even then only very inefficiently, so it serves essentially no positive purpose and goes straight to storage instead, whereas real sugar is easily released and used by the body when needed.

@~jet Thanks for the reply. I'm usually a devoted label reader and I stay away from HFCS and other additives, as well as generally eat unprocessed foods - things work out better for me that way. But I started eating a ton of candy/sugar even before Halloween had come along and now it's like a speeding one way train that I know I need to jump off but seems to get more difficult after a certain point. I know my body will adjust again and it'll be better after the first couple of days and again couple of weeks without it - it's just a matter of getting through that readjustment period. I find I can handle fruit just fine, but sugar and processes sweeteners are a whole different ballgame. If there is a difference between how my body responds to them, it is minimal enough relative to the intensity of the response that I can't tell the difference. In the end, I need to curb both. They're both, unfortunately, extremely addictive for me.

Last edited:

Does that mean its really hard to "burn off" then too? How do you purge the stored HFCS result if this is the case?

Does that mean its really hard to "burn off" then too? How do you purge the stored HFCS result if this is the case?

Aye, unlike with sugar, only the liver can process HFCS, and even then poorly and with distress (yay liver failure!)

The bonus kick to the teeth when it comes to HFCS is that, whether you eat it or not, you're taxpayer money is going to MAKE it (well, if you're american that is) so that it artificially appears to look less expensive than imported sugar AND to pay for the dramatically increased healthcare costs incurred by the stuff. *JOY* =D

wow...OK so meal one. I had an eggwhite ham egg and cheese sandwich. Now I always buy 100% whole wheat bread. ALWAYS and i was angry to learn that in my seemingly healthy 100% wheat bread is HFCS hiding in there. WTF is that shite! Luckily I had some whole grain bread too, usually I dont. just wow.

wow...OK so meal one. I had an eggwhite ham egg and cheese sandwich. Now I always buy 100% whole wheat bread. ALWAYS and i was angry to learn that in my seemingly healthy 100% wheat bread is HFCS hiding in there. WTF is that shite! Luckily I had some whole grain bread too, usually I dont. just wow.

It's VERY hard not to find HFCS these days. It's in subway sandwich breads, too... and 9 out of 10 hamburger/hotdog brand offerings, and virtually all candy, ice cream, desserts, cereals, frozen dinners, et cetera. The best way I found to remove the stuff was to cook my own food. Tacos, taco salads, stir fries, chilis, chicken this, fish that, lots of barilla plus pasta, cream sauces, home-made fruit breads, ice creams, etc... it's hearty, tasty, thick and rich and yet i've lost a 100lbs so far and only have another 25 or so to go (to have nothing to grab whatsoever, that is...)

Reactions: Entyqua

Yeah, it's in some of the most unexpected foods.
*shakes head* nuts.

It's VERY hard not to find HFCS these days. It's in subway sandwich breads, too... and 9 out of 10 hamburger/hotdog brand offerings, and virtually all candy, ice cream, desserts, cereals, frozen dinners, et cetera. The best way I found to remove the stuff was to cook my own food. Tacos, taco salads, stir fries, chilis, chicken this, fish that, lots of barilla plus pasta, cream sauces, home-made fruit breads, ice creams, etc... it's hearty, tasty, thick and rich and yet i've lost a 100lbs so far and only have another 25 or so to go (to have nothing to grab whatsoever, that is...)

WOW incredible! You are my role model! I would like to lose about 75lbs. Youre a rock star!

I already cook every family meal (dinner) from scratch. Always have. I cant stand packaged meals. Its breakfast, lunch and snack times that get me. That and my horrific addiction to Soda pop.

So snacks will henceforth be fruits and vegies only
TO drink (aside from water) a healthy glass of 100% fruit juice
breakfast will no longer include anything sugary, except fruit. I am a sucker for the quick bowl of cereal in the morning.

I stopped eating sugar - white sugar, brown sugar, and especially High Fructose Corn syrup!
I also steered clear of really sweet fruits also - as in dates, pineapple chunks in their own juice, and mandarin oranges. No bananas either.

I made a conscious effort to do this for 28 days.

I also stopped eating whole wheat products. I too had switched to whole grain products almost 20 years ago. I love bread and pasta of any kind. So I learned to acquire a taste for whole grain wheat and actually baked with it as well. But several months ago I read where they're starting to see that whole grain wheat is acting essentially like a refined carb - perhaps not as bad as white flour - but having similar effects.

So I stopped eating wheat - period.

I've lost weight doing this. With really not much in the way of a dieting effort.

I've noticed that now when I have the occasion to eat a desert - which I don't deny myself - they don't taste as good as I remember them tasting. Interestingly - I have discovered that I cannot finish the entire piece - whereas before I'd be reaching for more. I grew up in a large family of dessert addicts and sugary food was/is the main choice when one was feeling depressed or anxious or happy or sad or - well - you get the picture.

Hello! My name is K-gal, and I'm a sugar addict!. :eek:hwell:

I'm not making fun of addicts who are caught up in addictions where they can never have it again without falling off the wagon. That's not my intention here. But - one can truly get addicted to foods in this country. Personally I think the food manufactureres want it that way - just as big tobacco does.

I will tell you that I'm very glad I went through the 28 days of no sugar/no wheat. My taste buds changed. I don't go on binges anymore. I notice when I'm feeling full or thirsty more now. I eat till I'm full - instead of till there's no more food. I am making a concious effort to eat foods that only nourish and sustain me now. And it all started with getting off sugar.

I'm also a big coffee drinker and I realized that drinking the coffee promoted the idea of having something sweet.

Stopping coffee is my next attempt to wean me off another addiction. I plan to start tomorrow morning. Ouch - I'm going to have a helluva headache by Friday. :doh:

I hope you consider stopping sugar Enty. There are many benefits to be realized for both the mind and the body - as they are intertwined with each other.

Good luck to you!:high5:

thanks K gal. i am definately doing this. I need it. Im going to be switching to whole grain for myself, but we have 7 mouths to feed here so some corners will have to be cut. I can get 12 loaves of the wheat bread for six bucks, and it feeds the kids, every day for lunches. The whole grain is 3 for 5 I have to be frugal on this one unfortunately. We do love pasta here too, but I only use whole wheat semolina pasta. again with 7 people to feed pasta is a must. we do eat a great deal of brown rice only rice we will buy, and potatoes too. most of what I cook is made from scratch, or as scratch as I can get it. I will be cutting out HFCS over the course of the next year for sure. but it has to be a slow process on our budget. I know its a horrible thing to do, but i dont have the money to feed them (my roomates family is having issues with money and hasnt paid us for a couple of months) I am personally making it my goal to eat NOTHING with sugar or HFCS. but as for the whole family...it will be a process.

what on earth is high maltose corn syrup?

edit UGH
HMCS is also referred to as maltodextrin. It is considered to be less harmful then HFCS because the body is able to metabolize the maltose without straining the liver. However, it is relatively new to human consumption, so effects on the body are unclear. HMCS contains gluten, which should be avoided by those with celiac disease. HMCS is labeled as "other carbohydrates" on products because it is digested easier and causes fewer health concerns then standard carbohydrates. Maltodextrin is derived mainly from cornstarch, but can also come from rice or potato starch.

Last edited:
The bonus kick to the teeth when it comes to HFCS is that, whether you eat it or not, you're taxpayer money is going to MAKE it (well, if you're american that is) so that it artificially appears to look less expensive than imported sugar AND to pay for the dramatically increased healthcare costs incurred by the stuff. *JOY* =D

When I first started cutting out HFCS I was shocked to find out how many products have it. Bread, cereal, supposedly healthy granola bars, fruit juice, the list goes on and on. I make sure to check the labels on everything I buy and avoid it completely.

what on earth is high maltose corn syrup?

edit UGH
HMCS is also referred to as maltodextrin. It is considered to be less harmful then HFCS because the body is able to metabolize the maltose without straining the liver. However, it is relatively new to human consumption, so effects on the body are unclear. HMCS contains gluten, which should be avoided by those with celiac disease. HMCS is labeled as "other carbohydrates" on products because it is digested easier and causes fewer health concerns then standard carbohydrates. Maltodextrin is derived mainly from cornstarch, but can also come from rice or potato starch.

Ugh... I saw that once and was like... Huh? Also watch out; the corn industry is pushing congress to be allowed to 'hide' HFCS as 'corn SUGAR' so it sounds less evil... I've already seen it shown up on some hot dog labels and it's not even allowed yet.

thanks K gal. i am definately doing this. I need it. Im going to be switching to whole grain for myself, but we have 7 mouths to feed here so some corners will have to be cut. I can get 12 loaves of the wheat bread for six bucks, and it feeds the kids, every day for lunches. The whole grain is 3 for 5 I have to be frugal on this one unfortunately. We do love pasta here too, but I only use whole wheat semolina pasta. again with 7 people to feed pasta is a must. we do eat a great deal of brown rice only rice we will buy, and potatoes too. most of what I cook is made from scratch, or as scratch as I can get it. I will be cutting out HFCS over the course of the next year for sure. but it has to be a slow process on our budget. I know its a horrible thing to do, but i dont have the money to feed them (my roomates family is having issues with money and hasnt paid us for a couple of months) I am personally making it my goal to eat NOTHING with sugar or HFCS. but as for the whole family...it will be a process.

Yeh - I realize it's quite hard to purchase healthy foods for they carry a high price. We in the social services industry have noted the poor are disproportionally represented in the medical issues data and it's because they cannot afford to buy healthy foods or are buying fast food because they're often working 2 jobs.

I feel for you with extra mouths to feed. We are seeing that more and more down here in the trenches. Whole families moving in with others because there's no money to be made. One year you're doing fine - and the next bam - you're homeless in this country.

It bothers me that the US government excludes the cost of energy and food when it calculates the inflation index. What's up with that? Those are the 2 things a person living here cannot afford to do without. Yet it costs the most. And we all know that the cost of energy (crude) directly impacts the cost of food what with the fertilizers and equipment fuel needed to get the food from there to our tables here.

So don't feel badly about leaving HFCS in their diets for now. IMO you really have no choice in the matter (thank you corporate greed). But - you can educate everyone and encourage them to take responsibility for their own health. You are not the Health Sargent - after all - you're just their guardian angel for now.

Besides, making small changes is way more successful than making wholesale large changes when it comes to the human mind and habits. You're on the right track!

Take care of YOU, Enty. It's important! :hug:

Reactions: Entyqua