Sucrose/HFCS are ~really~ bad or you (1.5hr) | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Sucrose/HFCS are ~really~ bad or you (1.5hr)

*lights up a cigarette and takes a sip of rum and coke*
15-30 years less? Let's count tobacco and alcohol, would it be like 40-50 years? I guess I have only a decade left to enjoy cherry coke and rum.

This thread makes me lol... like seriously... okay not really. More or less I just keep asking myself why longer lifespans are a good thing.

I am all for the "quality life" lifespan, which requires tobacco, alcohol and coca cola. I prefer it over "long boring life" lifespan. And if I get terminally ill there's always a colt 45 you can buy in any major store using a credit card. Wouldn't go with anything less than .38, just to make sure. Full metal jacket without a question.

Last edited:
I think there is a mind/body/spirit balance-- as long as you keep them in balance; enjoy what you enjoy!!! :D:D:D

This thread makes me lol... like seriously... okay not really. More or less I just keep asking myself why longer lifespans are a good thing.

Well that's just it... it's not like it shaves 20-odd years off your lifespan... but you feel worse, look worse, think worse the entire shortened time you do happen to take withering away.

Sucrose is bad? I thought we'd already established this as a collective society?

Sucrose is bad? I thought we'd already established this as a collective society?

If we had, we wouldn't have exponentiated our way past epidemic dietary catastrophe as we have.

I am all for the "quality life" lifespan, which requires tobacco, alcohol and coca cola. I prefer it over "long boring life" lifespan. And if I get terminally ill there's always a colt 45 you can buy in any major store using a credit card. Wouldn't go with anything less than .38, just to make sure. Full metal jacket without a question.

There's also the question of your wallet; the cost of keeping yourself 'healthy' in the meantime skyrockets AND your insurance rates do as well because not only, as part of civilization, do you have to foot part of the bill for keeping yourself healthy... but part of everyone else's bill, too. If your own health is not reason enough to eat real food (as opposed to processed food), then the fact that you won't be able to afford many of the toys you might otherwise want to will be reason enough to eat right.

LOL...I don't understand why people take this stuff so seriously...None of us are getting out alive anyway. People are going to do what they want to do, and no amount of preaching is going to change that. Sometimes, actually having a heart attack and staring death in the face STILL doesn't convince some to change their eating habits. Most of it comes down to genetics anyway. Some people can eat nothing but unprocessed foods, exercise every day, etc. etc. and still drop dead of a heart attack while running on the treadmill (actually happened...and the guy was a doctor).

People have differing opinions...let them. Those of us who prefer the quality of life over quantity KNOW what we're doing, and many of us are doing what we want because we ENJOY it. Some people enjoy being healthy and eating like rabbits...fine by me, just don't shove it down my throat. It's not like I light a cigarette or drink a soda (diet soda at that...oh the HORROR!) and am completely ignorant to the fact that it's bad for me.

If we had, we wouldn't have exponentiated our way past epidemic dietary catastrophe as we have.

Really? What about alcohol?

Some people can eat nothing but unprocessed foods, exercise every day, etc. etc. and still drop dead of a heart attack while running on the treadmill (actually happened...and the guy was a doctor).

One of my uncles went the same way... relatively thin and fit and athletic (and a good bit younger than my dad who was smart enough to get on blood pressure medication since he was 25; some people simply are predisposed to cardiovascular difficulties, even if they can be dramatically exacerbated by poor diet), he'd just finished a workout at home, descended a flight of steps, stood there for a second in front of his wife, then pitched forward into the carpet and was dead as soon as he found the floor. The culprit was all the soda, butter, and steak and too little vegetable matter.

Still, what you suggest is ludicrous. You know what... it's POSSIBLE that I could win the lottery if I played. This does not mean I should stop working for my income and spend every negative cent I have (re: live large off a credit card.) Similarly, based on the odds that an oncoming train MIGHT derail before hitting me, I'm not sure I would remain sitting on the train tracks on the assumption that it will. The healthiest doctor in the world might also be hit by a meteor and have is head caved in. None of these things can do anything to curtail the fact that if you stuff yourself full of junk and poison your health will be much less than it would be if you ate good food... and when the hurdle to make to eat good food is essentially no hurdle at all, but simply being AWARE, it's less than unintelligent not to.

I don't understand how people CAN'T take it seriously... in large part because it's so damn easy to deal with, and there are ~no~ negative effects to doing so. I was overweight... it made me feel sick, tired, isolated, ugly, unhappy, etc etc. Not just from being overweight, but because these kind of foods 'starve the mind' and improperly fuel the body such that not only was I always craving, but never being satisfied or feeling very good. Cutting out the HFCS instantly changed that and made weightloss nothing more difficult than having patience, period. I didn't stop eating sweets... I didn't stop eating the occasional pizza or hamburger (feh, a home-made burger clocked in at a third of the calories and bad stuff that a fast-food version had, and tasted better besides!) I've lost 110lbs so far (only 20 to go!!); it didn't take any effort or concentration or sacrifice... just time and being aware of what it was I was eating. Have you looked at the labels of the 'smart ones' and/or weight-watcher prepackaged meals? They're somewhat rationally proportioned, sure, but they're just as bad and you feel famished shortly after eating them (making it easy to go back for more, which is GREAT for their profit margins, but totally blows the whole point of the program (assuming the ), whereas going to the farmer's market, and getting some chicken or beef, and cooking my own meal produced something amazingly tasty by comparison that did not leave me feeling dissatisfied AND let me drop a third of my body mass. My legs don't chronically ache anymore; I don't have constant headaches; I don't roll fitfully in my sleep due to rogue pains; I don't feel sluggish and tired and distracted and ugly. Since you naysayers seem to cling to your 'one anecdote that disproves the million data points of research' meme, then take the above as an annulling anecdote to yours. I have firsthand experience with this that none of you can explain away. I wouldn't trade this for any amount of junk food.

Meanwhile, there ARE other consequences! My insurance premiums are more than double what they would be if my entire nation ate rationally, because the chronic side effects of eating this crap are EXPENSIVE and REPETITIVE, and instead of eating right, we MEDICATE away the symptoms rather than just resolve them outright... and that's incredibly expensive, too. That's a couple hundred bucks a month I can't spend on things I'd rather spend it on... because so many other somebody-elses are taking your advice. I'll be the first to argue for modest-taxation-in-the-name-of-my-culture-seeing-to-the-benefit-of-everyone-else-who-is-also-a-member-of-it, but that doesn't mean I think I should be paying extra so $entity can be a lazy ignorant sloth-glutton who doesn't even know there's better tasting food out there.

Good food tastes good. Eat an apple... seriously. Pineapple... honeydew. Strawberries and blueberries. Hell... almonds and walnuts contain the ORIGINAL chemical that is, it is dumbed down less effective expensive form, marketed as LIPITOR to help alleviate blood pressure issues often exponentiated by poor diet in the first place. Almonds taste better than lipitor. A lot better. What's more... pounding the almonds is a self-limiting affair since they are SATISFYING, unlike anything choc full o'HFCS.

Any argument against eating good food is specious at best. You feel better, live longer, and keep more of your hard earned money for much more enjoyable things than getting medical treatment.

Last edited:
Really? What about alcohol?

Heh, watch the video... the effects of alcohol and sucrose/hfcs are nearly the same, dietarily... the former happen only to be processed in the brain where it's a lot easier to notice the side-effects up front.

Still, what you suggest is ludicrous.

What exactly is ludicrous about what I was saying? I was merely pointing out that these things do happen. I wasn't suggesting that it's pointless to be mindful of what you're putting into your body, I was saying that some are stubborn regarding their vices and that your words would be basically falling upon deaf ears.

You are correct in saying that once you cut out the fast food and processed foods, it does make one feel better. I, myself, cut out fast food for the most part and I found that I don't feel as heavy and sluggish...but some are happy eating that crap and if they are then more power to them. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Insurance companies love fastfood. If everyone would be healthy nobody would be paying for insurance and they wouldn't be making as much money, now they can charge extra for all the health issues you have.
I see the point that living healthy is not just about living longer, it's about having a quality life. Completely give away pleasures in order to be more fit, stronger, faster, lighter, whatever, doesn't make enough sense. However, ruining your health early on to barely get into 60s and then walk with an oxygen mask and make 3 injections of insulin a day because someone drunk 8 cans of coke a day and smoked two pack of cigs - pretty horrible, wouldn't wish that to my worst enemy.

This is why I'm on a strict sugar-filled diet, eat red meat, and smoke cigarettes.

Because it makes people whine about what I do with my own body and underestimate my intelligence.

Reactions: Vicarious and Arsal
I don't eat much red meat and the only sugar in my diet is in the cereal. However, I do other naughty things I should probably compensate for.. Like you, I love cigarettes, heh and caffeine, and drink alcohol when it's available.
All this talk about sugar really made me want to go to a store across the street to get a Twix and a bottle of Cola...
>.>
Five minutes later...
<.<
*sound of an opening soda can*

Last edited:
I see the point that living healthy is not just about living longer, it's about having a quality life.

Completely give away pleasures in order to be more fit, stronger, faster, lighter, whatever, doesn't make enough sense.
It depends on perspective-- some people would say being fit, stronger, faster, lighter, whatever would improve quality of life way moreso than the simple pleasures like cigarettes or alcohol. Being in very good shape, and not NEEDING the physical pleasures like nicotine or whatever, is ideal in my opinion. Not to say you can have the best of both worlds-- I like to run a couple of miles then work out, and while i still have the endorphins kicking in, smoke a big ol bowl of marijuana:D one of my favorite things to do.

Black and white, do or dont thinking does irriate me as well. MODERATION! :D

Reactions: AhSver

This is an interesting thread. Strong opinions bred by lifestyles present!

I don't eat much red meat and the only sugar in my diet is in the cereal. However, I do other naughty things I should probably compensate for.. Like you, I love cigarettes, heh and caffeine, and drink alcohol when it's available.
All this talk about sugar really made me want to go to a store across the street to get a Twix and a bottle of Cola...
>.>
Five minutes later...
<.<
*sound of an opening soda can*
OH MY GOD, TWIX!

Make-a-Giant-Twix.jpg

Let me have it!

Reactions: aerosol