Straight INFJ Males | Page 18 | INFJ Forum

Straight INFJ Males

I'm straight, but still very feminine in the subtleties. I'm not always sure how to reconcile the two. I still get called "gay" or "queer" or "fag" by some of my more ignorant and homophobic acquaintances -- but all this means is that they are probably closet-homosexuals! Haha. I've read about the studies...the ones that found that homophobic men were turned on by images of gay sex, whereas straight, non-homophobic men were not. Still, the hate lingers in our society, and it does hurt my feelings. I just want to be able to express my feminine qualities whilst retaining my outward straight identity.

But, alas! I am too sensitive to the judgments of others, so I walk around like a robot in chains. What would I be if there were no other people in the world? I cannot say.

I moved around a lot. Just as I was hitting puberty and about to ask out my first proper GF, my Dad got promoted and we moved away 1 week later which really derailed me imo. I had to start at a new school, and try and make new friends despite the fact I lived in the countryside. After puberty, even by 15 I'd no experience with girls AT ALL. I wanted a connection too much and over processed it round and round convincing myself I wasn't good enough. I was such a dick, because some girls did actually show an interest and I was too insecure to believe it. I must have made them feel awful.

Other guys appeared to have no issues with the ladies and mostly had lost their virginity by 16. Being near paralyzed around girls I ended up having a few irrational bouts of emoness questioning if I was gay. I knew I wasn't however but that doesn't stop these things buzzing around your head when you're wondering whats wrong with you. As an amusing side note, a group of guys used to constantly call be gay behind my back, mostly led by two fairly vicious a-holes. Years later I met one of them in a nightclub I worked in during uni. He was kinda drunk and all like "heeeeey" I obviously wanted nothing to do with him, but I needed to get passed him to go to one of other other bars to steal some of their ice since my bar was out. As I went to push past him, he grabbed me and babbled something then hugged me....then tried to kiss me. I pushed him off and he says "it's okay man, I came out." I explained I'm not gay, nor ever have been. He went into a bit of a sob story how he and the other a-hole had actually been gay all along but hadn't known it. I just said "uhuh" and walked away.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Btw I'm sorry for the mass of text. I'm new to this INFJ thing and while I know one INFJ woman irl, never met any guys. I've had a lot bottled in my head for too long ^^

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Btw I'm sorry for the mass of text. I'm new to this INFJ thing and while I know one INFJ woman irl, never met any guys. I've had a lot bottled in my head for too long ^^
Nothing to be sorry for, honestly it is just a drop in the bucket in comparison to many posts you will find here. ;) It's a perfectly normal experience for us. I had often been accused/questioned if I was gay in high school because I showed little interest in girls at all, aside from one, and that didn't go anywhere anyways. I was just focusing on doing well in school and didn't care about that.

I also do not believe I have ever met another INFJ of either gender, sadly.

I didn't read all 18 pages of discussion, I just want to reply for the first post.

Why do you think that there are more male homosexual INFJ than straight? I've never read such statistics. But I think I know, where did you get this idea.
Yes, INFJ males are usually more feminine, we are one of the most emotional and caring mbti type. But It's like saying that INTJ girls are lesbians, because they are more masculine. It doesn't work like that.

By the way, Straight male INFJ with an INTJ girlfriend :D

I didn't read all 18 pages of discussion, I just want to reply for the first post.

Why do you think that there are more male homosexual INFJ than straight? I've never read such statistics. But I think I know, where did you get this idea.
Yes, INFJ males are usually more feminine, we are one of the most emotional and caring mbti type. But It's like saying that INTJ girls are lesbians, because they are more masculine. It doesn't work like that.

It's probably just a useful generalization, if such a thing exists. Could be because a lot of homosexual guys mistype as INFJ, could be more likely that a lot of heterosexual male INFJs mistype as other types due to suppressing their natural instinct towards feeling-based value judgments. If either is true, and especially if both are true, you could easily end up with a stereotype like "all INFJ males are homosexual."

e: btw, hetero here, been asked if I'm gay before. Though, that's entirely because I've never gone on a date with anybody ever. It's not in one's actual qualities, it's in how the outside observer sees one's actions and interprets them within their own scope of standards.

Last edited:
I asked two gay guys I know what MBTI they are today. One didn't know and took the test. The other was told when he went for an officer position. They were ENTP and ESTJ respectively. You'd never know there were gay (and in fact I didn't know till they told me.) The ENTP is a bit of an alpha douche in fact and I frequently want to crush his skull. he has ZERO. ZE-RO emphathy, to the extent I'd say he's a sociopath. His latest gem being "what do I care if the kid CLAIMS he has cancer? He aught to go live what he has left and [not be where he was.] Zombie apoc happens? Going to accidentally shoot him in the head.

How you process things has nothing to do with sticking things in the back door.

It is quite interesting, I suppose.

From what I understand about male and female energy, it would appear to me to be related to this.
Now, male energy will be attracted toward female energy as they complement and complete one another when they are both in harmony.

Sex, I think, in the purest sense, is the merging of these energies on the energetic plane.
The interaction of genitalia is the manifestation of that energetic-meeting in the realm of matter and physicality.
So completementary are they that often when they meet they will form an entirely new energetic entity altogether but we don't usually see much of that on our plane for about nine months.

Now, as with almost all things, it is never so clearly cut.
As with the yin-yang, so it is with man. Man has male and female energy comprising him and so does Woman.
Only part of a persons' energy is necessarily sexual.
I find it not much of a paradox to imagine a male person with more feminine energy, including the sexual aspect, being attacted to men despite being 100% male by physical appearance.
Lots of same-sex relationships I have noticed do seem to keep the masculine-feminine dynamic which suggests it is what happens at the energy level that is more significant than which genitals you have.

I am drawn toward the feminine strongly in my life and so it has never really occurred to me to try and find that in someone who is visually male.
It doesn't seem very proactive when I can experience the female energy through women.
But I think that 'Feeling' is a feminine trait and so INFJs are going to lean more toward the feminine, even if they are male; myself included.
Unlike feminine women, where the balance is even more toward feeling, I still have enough male energy to not drastically desire the input of someone else's.

But I understand that the mere mention of energy is a bit of leap for some. For those that it is not, let me know what you think.

Last edited:
But I understand that the mere mention of energy is a bit of leap for some. For those that it is not, let me know what you think.

Meh. I'm agnostic. I've experienced some inexplicable shit in my time.

Sexuality has a number of effectors, including but not limited to :

Biological. Your sensory reception of mate stimuli. For one - Scent. Pheromones, (yes guys have them too) have been proven to be a big factor in sexuality. You can be receptive to both male and female regardless of sex. You can be male and your scent senses can perceive male scent as hot enough to overcome visual stimuli blocks apparently. I cba to find the article but lets go with it. I know I'm heavily effected by female scent. Get close to me and I'm like putty sometimes. Btw, pro tip - don't tell an ENFP girl about scent effectors. She started wafting at me on purpose. When she had a boyfriend. Biiiiiitch...

Environmental. You tell a kid he's gay enough times, chances are he'll become gay. This is where INFJ issues likely come in. Desperate for a connection you may find affinity where you can, and that might just be with a dude. Or...something else. INFJ chameleon effect molding the person emphatically. Just as we can have the accent of someone we're speaking to transposed onto us, so to could we potentially become imprinted with confusing data - vulnerable folks falling to it. This will likely not effect women (as much) given that A) they talk more so can resolve empathic corruption, and B) often far more healthily just accept that they kind of wouldn't mind a frolic with their best friend and are able to more easily mentally process that in a healthy fashion wheras a guy is like OMGNOIMNOTGAYWTF

Last edited:
I've never been mistaken for being gay (as far as i can remember). It's probably because i have very sharp instincts and a lot of physical power, and i've always stood up for myself.

Nonetheless, my 'feminine' side (emotional sensitivity and emotional awareness?) has always been very developed and made me wonder a lot wtf is wrong with me (took me 25 years to understand the answer is: nothing is wrong with me).

Never ever had a serious doubt about my sexuality, have always been very attracted to females. However i believe anyone can be attracted to his own gender if he were to be raised in an environment in which it is considered fine. After all, i believe anyone who has good friends is emotionally 'attracted' to them (not sexually aroused), but then if it was fine in my head and everyone would do it, i'm pretty sure i would give it a try. I do however see no point in doing so, as i am not sexually attracted to men :)

Another heterosexual INFJ here. I too was seen as being homosexual in school because I wouldn't respond to women flirting or with more aggressive advances. I just wasn't interested at the time. Of course I am ridiculously romantic at heart so the idea of basing a relationship on sex like most people tend to start out has never appealed to me. When I say most I mean the people I have encountered. I don't know how the rest of the world is but the majority I have met are very sexually active. Which is not bad in itself I just don't think a relationship should be based on sexual performance. Which is exactly why everyone tried to put me in a box and say I was gay. Even when I would explain calmly and with reason that I am not gay. They would insist that I was and just didn't realize it yet. It's funny how people like to do that. I guess I just felt bad that I couldn't comply with what they wanted. So I sheltered myself.

None of my guy friends ever thought I was gay. They always knew I was straight or at least where pretty confident I was. Girls on the other hand said they thought I might be gay but couldn't be certain. Like one girl just straight up asked me in class one time. I had been friends with he for some time and we always sat by each other and one day she just says, "I have to ask, are you gay?"

After telling her no, she started asking me why I never date. My response was something like, "It's hard to date a girl when you are scared to talk to them." I am not afraid anymore, I am just not good at it. lol. I now say all the wrong things at the wrong moment, so it's just best if I keep my mouth shut and just let them do all the talking. Smile and nod.

I also had another experience not so long ago where I accidently pissed a girl off. My younger brother and I went out to a party with some friends. He was relaxing on the couch talking with a group of people. I was standing up and just listening. I didn't really notice; because there was so many people, that this girl was dancing rather close to me.

I was minding my own business and listening to the conversation when she taps me on the shoulder and asks, "Are you gay or something?" I was speechless and couldn't think of response so she stormed off swearing up a storm. My brother just shook his head and told me latter that she had been trying to get my attention for some time.

I thought she was just enjoying the song and didn't want to push her way onto the dance floor....

Reactions: Nixie
Had tested and came up INFJ. It has been surreal ah moments for me. I am kind of thrown back a little. Straight male. to answer that part.

Hello well my test shows INFJ dominant with me also near INFP range, and I am indeed heterosexual and rather mascline in appearance as I have been a Biker for 25 years, although I am also a Poet and Artist in my own time and space, which reflects the other side of my Yin and Yang nature. I have lived with my partner for 21 years even though we aren't married nor had any children. My partner is an ESFP, and I feel that she is my soul mate.
When younger I was a very shy individual, although I would hide this trait by way of my male bravado. I feared rejection from women, although due to living a alternative way of life (If you like) I would put it down to my choice of life style which I wasn't prepared to compromise upon (Motorcycles not cars). I did however have a couple of female friends, who I valued as close friends, however due to my open friendly demeanour (I don't mean to sound ignorant or egotistical here), they would start to grow emotional attachments then develop a physical attraction to me, which although flattering to some, usually resulted in destroying our friendship, as they would suffer rejection and hurt when I gently turned down their offers of love. This would then make me feel like a cold lofty guy which would then lead me to become rather more reclusive and nervous around women. Although I would still defend my actions as being real and authentic, as I would never use another human being for sexual gratification, as I believed and still believe that one should have geniune feelings for a person if your going to make love to them, as this is the most intimate act you can have with another person physically.
I would then refrain from the emotional baggage of what one night stands seem to create, which left some people questioning my sexuality. Even my parents asked if I was Gay, which really upset and deeply offended me (Nothing wrong with being Gay, if you actually are Gay, but not so cool if you aren't) as this was another example of how people were not truly understanding or accepting of me. It was more to do with the romantic notions I had, floating around my brain, which I picked up from popular culture, literature , and aspects of society itself. As I have a deep physical attraction, respect, and also dare I say I kind of fear of letting a woman down, so I take all my dealings with them seriously and responsibly, as I don't want to hurt a woman emotionally and be classed like all those horrible "MEN!" in the world that you here so many women complain about these days.
What has helped me through the years is the fact of meeting my partner who is my Lover, confident and friend, also my sense of spirituality as a self confessed Western Tao Buddhist. I have found an authentic expression for my Protector qualities, and a medium to practise without suspicion my inner compassionate values.
Today no one questions my sexuality much , when they know I am a Buddhist, they may question and bully poor modern secular type guys who are intune with others peoples minds and emotions (INFJ,INFP's), as being not manly or masculine enough,(Which is erroneous, ignorant thinking on their part) but they can't throw that accusation at the symbol of manhood Buddha represents. So I embrace my Yin and Yang qualities, which I acknowledge as simply two sides of the same coin, and that coin is me. I have a very male protective side, a side that is very practical (Can fix engines) with a more dare I say Nurturing side that's Artistic, intuitive, with a depth of compassion. Its interesting to note that when you see the statue of any Eastern Buddha, they are usually depicted as a-sexual or neutrally gendered, so the Buddha doesn't look male nor female but a balance between the two polarities, as in Buddhism our true identity is our awareness "Mind Essence" and this is neutral, and has no sexuality, gender or form. I myself like this idea of thought, it for me at least helps me understand my own inner balance. I wonder if anyone else has a similar approach concerning their spiritual or philosophical beliefs?

Last edited:
Concerning what jimtaylo explained about the incident with the girl dancing with him, then asking him or accusing him if he was gay, could be a ploy to kind of emotionally black mail him to pay her more attention, as she was getting frustrated that he wasn't paying her the attention she expected.
I once had a female friend who started to get romantic ideas about me, even though my partner is her friend. She accused me of being Gay, as I didn't fancy a fling with her, when I told my Partner, she laughed and said, "That's what she does to get men into bed, she accuses them of being gay, so that they will feel so incensed that they will have to prove to her that they aren't gay, which is the very reaction she's after".
Maybe like my female friend, this young woman tried this very trick, or maybe she had a few personal issues of her own.

Probably more of a way to deflect the sting of rejection.

Wait, You mean to say that I'm even rarer then I originally determined based on a variety of global statistics and medical journals over time!?

Last edited:
Crap. No offense to any gay people but where are you coming up with your numbers and percentages on this? I think people are what they are, but having recently found a "connection" in being an INFJ where there was none before, I am now even a little more disappointed to find out I have a even "rarer" personality type.

Its not that I care how rare it is as much as I care about the idea of the potential of having an even harder time of "connecting."

This happened to me once. I cant believe I am reading this story here, that its happened to other people. Not exactly the same thing but close enough. Wow.