Staying healthy | INFJ Forum

Staying healthy

Kmal

Jan 21, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8 sx/sp
What do you guys do to stay healthy and feeling good?

Currently, I'm in ketosis and doing some long distance cardio until I can get another gym membership.

Tell me about your diets, reasons why you eat those foods, and how much/what kind of exercise you do!

I've been running for 8 weeks at a row and I feel great and more relaxed :)
I followed the start to run program cause it's been 3 years sinds I did some type of sport.. and now I can run 30 minutes
Also I lift weights to get some awesome arm muscles.

I recently stop drinking coke due to my porcelain teeth.. And I must say that I sleep much better and feel healther :)

I still eat all the crap I want :) because I run so I don't gain (much) weight

i love to go swimming if i get the time as it's such great exercise. i love to eat fresh vegetables.

id make time, which im sure you do, if i lived near the beautiful beaches in australia! which vegetables and why? haha, sometimes i eat a bell pepper like an apple! :p
I've been running for 8 weeks at a row and I feel great and more relaxed :)
I followed the start to run program cause it's been 3 years sinds I did some type of sport.. and now I can run 30 minutes
Also I lift weights to get some awesome arm muscles.

I recently stop drinking coke due to my porcelain teeth.. And I must say that I sleep much better and feel healther :)

I still eat all the crap I want :) because I run so I don't gain (much) weight
haha! as long as youre feeling good, eating crap is wonderful huh?! personally, when i eat crap, like fast food or highly processed food (could be psychosomatic, but nonetheless it is what it is) i dont feel good afterward.

Reactions: Aleksthegreat
I am currently doing a training program called P90x and that is great. I am going to start going to a rock climbing club soon also. I eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and try to get a good balanced diet. I keep a diary of the foods I eat and I try to get a decent amount of sleep every night. If I kept a good sleep pattern I would probably feel twice as good. My exersize consists of about 1 to 1h 30 minute workouts. Each day and everyday throughout the week focuses on different muscles areas.

how far are you into p90x? do you use the diet program as well?

how far are you into p90x? do you use the diet program as well?

I've only been doing it for 2 weeks. I am not strictly sticking to the diet program though as I cannot quite do that due to a few issues. I know the diet program is equally as important but I can't really stick to it. I just take what I can get for the time being.

What do you guys do to stay healthy and feeling good?

Currently, I'm in ketosis and doing some long distance cardio until I can get another gym membership.

Tell me about your diets, reasons why you eat those foods, and how much/what kind of exercise you do!

I cut out high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated fill-in-the-blank oils (i.e., fancy name for pure trans fat.) Doing this helped me drop 110 lbs so far. I also hike, walk, bike. Try also not to sit for more than 30 minutes at a time if you can help it as this does arterial damage. (we're designed to walk and jog, not sit.)

If you've ever looked at the paleo diet, that's pretty much what I eat. So - lots of fish, almost a pound of vegetables per day, lots of good fats (flax oil, fish oil, coconut oil, etc), some lean meats, some fruits. And I mostly only drink water. The only paleo rule I break is to consume about 200 grams of oatmeal a day because you can't weight lift on a low carb diet. Well, you can - but it's agony and one of the most sub-optimal ways to do it. You may know this already since you're a ketogenic diet. But anyway, yeah, you need the glycogen for any kind of anabolic training like that so I eat lots of oatmeal. But very little sugar (aside from what I get in fruit) or shit-tastic carbs like white rice.

As far as weight training, you know the drill: heavy compound lifts in the 2 - 12 rep range depending on what work set I'm in. Bench presses, squats, dead lifts, dips, pull ups, military press, flys, bent over rows, etc.

Here's a thread I made on squats: http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=13943

If you've ever looked at the paleo diet, that's pretty much what I eat. So - lots of fish, almost a pound of vegetables per day, lots of good fats (flax oil, fish oil, coconut oil, etc), some lean meats, some fruits. And I mostly only drink water. The only paleo rule I break is to consume about 200 grams of oatmeal a day because you can't weight lift on a low carb diet. Well, you can - but it's agony and one of the most sub-optimal ways to do it. You may know this already since you're a ketogenic diet. But anyway, yeah, you need the glycogen for any kind of anabolic training like that so I eat lots of oatmeal. But very little sugar (aside from what I get in fruit) or shit-tastic carbs like white rice.

As far as weight training, you know the drill: heavy compound lifts in the 2 - 12 rep range depending on what work set I'm in. Bench presses, squats, dead lifts, dips, pull ups, military press, flys, bent over rows, etc.

Here's a thread I made on squats: http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=13943
well, I do CKD, so I set a wall of glycogen to tear down during the week! best results ive ever got on a diet! you may know this because youre eating oatmeal!

i prefer potatoes though, as a carb source. very grounding.

You don't really want to have a low-carb diet anyways.. a NORMAL carb diet, sure... but not low. Everyone I know (and many people following wide studies) who did atkins and south beach stuff ended up with a seriously impaired immune system... they get seek every other week or so compared to my once or twice a year.

You don't really want to have a low-carb diet anyways.. a NORMAL carb diet, sure... but not low. Everyone I know (and many people following wide studies) who did atkins and south beach stuff ended up with a seriously impaired immune system... they get seek every other week or so compared to my once or twice a year.
you gotta eat vegetables too.... LOL

vitamin c helps, tremendously.

well, I do CKD, so I set a wall of glycogen to tear down during the week! best results ive ever got on a diet! you may know this because youre eating oatmeal!

i prefer potatoes though, as a carb source. very grounding.

I've read about CKD (and TKD) before but I never could see the benefit to doing that over just eating cleanly throughout the week using macros that are right for you. At least not enough of a benefit to go through the complication of it all. Plus, I'm not sure that 5 to 6 days of low carbing followed by 1 to 2 days of bloating oneself is healthy.

I've read about hundreds of different diets over the past ten years and every single time I come back to the same fundamental principles: eat clean, be consistent, avoid shitty food, sleep. Everything else seems overly complicated.

I agree. I think ketogenic diets are okay for maybe a month if you have a normal weight - and possibly longer if you've got hundreds of pounds to lose. But one thing people often misunderstand about diets like Atkins is that they were never meant to be permanent diets. Even Dr. Atkins himself wrote about the negative effects of being on a low-carb diet for too long in his own books.

What's supposed to happen is that you stay on a low carb diet to lower your dangerous levels of fat and then slowly start re-introducing healthy carbs back into your eating habits over a period of time (this is called the Atkins Ladder or something like that) once you're back to a healthy weight. The low carb phase is really only meant to occupy a very small / initial part of the plan. But people ignore this because they become obsessed with not putting on weight and, thus, damage themselves.

I've read about CKD (and TKD) before but I never could see the benefit to doing that over just eating cleanly throughout the week using macros that are right for you. At least not enough of a benefit to go through the complication of it all. Plus, I'm not sure that 5 to 6 days of low carbing followed by 1 to 2 days of bloating oneself is healthy.
-----------

I agree. I think ketogenic diets are okay for maybe a month if you have a normal weight - and possibly longer if you've got hundreds of pounds to lose. But one thing people often misunderstand about diets like Atkins is that they were never meant to be permanent diets. Even Dr. Atkins himself wrote about the negative effects of being on a low-carb diet for too long in his own books.

What's supposed to happen is that you stay on a low carb diet to lower your dangerous levels of fat and then slowly start re-introducing healthy carbs back into your eating habits over a period of time (this is called the Atkins Ladder or something like that) once you're back to a healthy weight. The low carb phase is really only meant to occupy a very small / initial part of the plan. But people ignore this because they become obsessed with not putting on weight and, thus, damage themselves.
I FEEL better on a ketogenic diet. Though, the one day I eat carbs, it's most certainly not bloating yourself, though, some do this on CKD. It can be conducive to muscle building, however.

It is interesting that I feel euphoric on a ketogenic diet, but when I'm in glycolysis, I feel, normal, I suppose, with bouts of euphoria usually generated by exercise or other external things. Thoughts?

you gotta eat vegetables too.... LOL

vitamin c helps, tremendously.

Absolutely; we are well equipped to handle the natural fats, carbs, and proteins found in REAL food... its when we have all this industrially over-processed with industrially invented chemicals business that our health goes all out of whack.

High Fructose for example... fructose exists in fruit a lot, and even in table sugar it is bonded with glucose (or was it sucrose?) One of those two... in fruit it is bound up with fiber. In High fructose, though, a large portion of the fructose is unbonded and 'free.' Our bodies cannot metabolize it except via the liver whereas other sugars are metabolized by all the proper organs. So, most of it ends up in storage and is difficult to get back out again, while the liver takes a beating in the process (equivalent to being a drunk, if maybe not so bad as that.) Further still, HFCS triggers the pleasure centers of the brain (being extremely sweet) but fails to trigger the satisfaction centers... so it's equivalent to a narcotic in that you keep wanting to go back for more. In my personal experience, cutting the stuff out really helped quell my cravings.

It is interesting that I feel euphoric on a ketogenic diet, but when I'm in glycolysis, I feel, normal, I suppose, with bouts of euphoria usually generated by exercise or other external things. Thoughts?

Well, it's different for everyone and there is no one-size-fits-all diet. But the general consensus about low carb diets is that, yes, you feel great in the short term because you've essentially eliminated a lot of toxic shit from your diet. Excess sugar, gluten (for some people), dairy, candy, beer, yeast, pasties, processed garbage, etc. You get rid of all that junk and, moreover, start to add vegetables, drink more water, get more sleep. Plus you lose weight and don't have the carb roller-coaster of energy and crashing. So, yes, you feel better - but it's easy to forget all those other variables I just mentioned and ascribe it all to the fact you're not eating carbs anymore.

In the long term (after a few years or more), health problems start becoming more apparent and you don't feel so good anymore. Mental fatigue, immune system problems, hair loss, metabolism issues, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

For whatever reason, Americans have such black and white thinking and there's no exception when it comes to diet. It's like a war between the people who freak out if they eat more than two carbs per week (let's call them the 'low carbers') vs the people who shovel in cheesecake by the pound and drink Pepsi all day (let's call them the 'carbs are fine for you' crowd). They're both wrong and it just goes back to what I said before: eat cleanly and in good moderation. There's a middle road paved with wisdom.

Carbs aren't bad - just some of them. The same way fats aren't bad - just some of them. You can eat oatmeal and flax or pepsi and corn oil. Guess what? You're eating carbs and fats either way.

Reactions: Kmal
shat you reminded me to take this oil pill thingy

FOOD INTAKE

Ya,cutting out High Fructose Corn Syrup and identifying what food(s)I am very allergic to(eggs,sulfur)and avoiding those,and then doing a kind of exercise I had known from long ago,agreed,with me and my particular physiology(bulk muscle work,within reason),all have really helped me,in just the last few years.It's important to figure out each our own physiology,in order to succeed at improving our health,as each of us has very unique strengths and limits,like it or not.Best advice,I can give,as far as how to go about this,is-just start somewhere,and do the best you can,to keep moving forward with improving your health and think a lot,reflect on what did work,and why.Yup,it can be tedious,but one amazing thing(at least,to me),is our bodies ability to heal itself,once we locate and remove,what's standing in the way.Good Luck,don't give up.

the keto high, as some call it, is not because you've elminated all that bs from your diet; it's a metabolic change. i've never tried long term ketosis, but the symptoms you've described are from a symptom itself - vitamin deficiency. you can get all vitmains and minerals from a ketogenic diet, with the right foods. the people experiencing those symptoms must have no idea how to look up what vitamins and minerals certain foods have and incorporate the ones they are low in into their diet; or consult someone who does.

it's just a different road that leads to the same place - health and feeling good.

for some, experience is needed to find the middle (ideal) road.

id make time, which im sure you do, if i lived near the beautiful beaches in australia! which vegetables and why? haha, sometimes i eat a bell pepper like an apple! :p

at times in my life i have been as fit as you but not anymore, i pretty much live the easy life now. i like to fit in swimming when i am feeling good and have lots of energy but usually i am preoccupied with some thing or other.

i don't really swim at the beaches because i have a phobia about sun exposure but australia does have very beautiful beaches. i do like to swim laps in indoor pools (especially really early in the morning, after it's been filtered overnight and before a lot of other people have been swimming in it).

i'm vegetarian so eating vegetables is pretty much compulsory for me. although i do happen to like vegetables a lot. mainly because they are delicious. i love bell pepper too. my other favs are tomato, onions, spinach, potato, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, broccoli, beans, leeks...