Something I Missed | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Something I Missed

One thing I've observed about large populations is the depersonalization of the individual. How could it make us feel any other way? Look at the scenes in the streets of a place like NYC. Thousands and thousands of people walking in the streets and you could almost swear they're walking around each inside their own little bubble, isolated from everyone and every thing around them. It used to be that Society felt drawn together by their perceived similarities, but now it's just the opposite...we seem to define ourselves by how we are different. Everyone wants to be unique. At some level, isn't too much of anything a bad thing? The fancy word would be disenfranchisement. Maybe we need a little more to draw us together rather than emphasizing that which pulls us apart.
....I sometimes wonder about this problem; what would be the solution? What would be the ideal society?

Looking at the other side (Japan comes to mind; in fact, some areas of my city also comes to mind), it seems to be as bad as this problem.

Wouldn't too much similarities also devalues an individual, if not restricting their freedom? I guess the key's 'too much', but what defines too much, and what doesn't?

Last edited:
....I sometimes wonder about this problem; what would be the solution? What would be the ideal society?

Looking at the other side (Japan comes to mind; in fact, some areas of my city also comes to mind), it seems to be as bad as this problem.

Wouldn't too much similarities also devalues an individual, if not restricting their freedom? I guess the key's 'too much', but what defines too much, and what doesn't?

I think it is a problem when individual needs are not being met. Of course, what exactly constitutes a "need" is the single most disagreed upon issue that I can think of.