social benefits of introversion | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

social benefits of introversion

Hmmm... I guess by observing the gathering from a detached perspective, you can decide who would most benefit from your attention. As in "the under dog."

I never like anyone to feel left out, or ganged up on.

I do this too irl. I tend to gravitate towards introverts a lot because of my tendency to do this. I feel very uncomfortable when I see someone being left out or left behind. Lol... one of my introverted friends (must be some sort of IxTx) once told me that she kind of likes this about me because I look out for her.. she says I remind her of a sheep herder..

as in, I look back a lot to check if anyone is lost if I'm with people, that sort of thing

Reactions: Gaze and grt$5vb
Lol. That's just about the worst thing someone could say about people like us. I'm always really paranoid someone is going to say that about me, which is why I rarely ever speak up in class-- unless I really feel like it. But, really, people who call other people idiots all the time are probably idiots themselves.

Yeah if I recall correctly everyone knew that guy was a huge idiot :/ I just always took criticism hard regardless of the credibility of the source, especially when I was younger.

I am aware that many introverts feel the way that you described. I think for most introverts speaking their mind in class is usually a very calculated decision for them to make, and if they got negative feedback like what I had experienced they probably wouldn't want to open up again like that anytime soon.

Reactions: grt$5vb
Yeah if I recall correctly everyone knew that guy was a huge idiot :/ I just always took criticism hard regardless of the credibility of the source, especially when I was younger.

I am aware that many introverts feel this way.

Not just introverts, but also iNtuitives who are very open in their thinking. I sometimes get people who tell me one little thing and it will throw me off completely-- because I have to take the time to consider it-- and it might not even budge someone else's thoughts on the same matter. Someone more set in their ways.

Reactions: grt$5vb

I'm actually very sensitive as to that, too. I've been in that situation too many times. I guess I don't wish the feeling on others.

Not just introverts, but also iNtuitives who are very open in their thinking. I sometimes get people who tell me one little thing and it will throw me off completely-- because I have to take the time to consider it-- and it might not even budge someone else's thoughts on the same matter. Someone more set in their ways.

Yes. Exactly this.

Yep. Me too! Often so much so that it bothers me before it seems to bother the person in question...

I would say that the pairing of introversion AND intuitive qualities make for a more "open thinker" who is also more likely to hear the other party in the first place.

Reactions: Gaze
I think since we do more listening than talking, when we do eventually speak up what we say is often profound.

we give extroverts someone to talk to that will listen

I'd say that Introversion is just as much of a strength as Extraversion is, and also just as much of a weakness. It's the whole "think to talk" vs. "talk to think" preference. I like to think through something before I say anything, which then sounds profound, as MindYourHead points out. It sounds especially profound to Extraverts since they don't think about something before they say it, and instead use talking as a way to work through their thoughts, so generally they don't have something well formed to start with. OTOH, thinking to talk is a weakness in many cases where the loudest person in the room gets the most attention, like in many of the business meetings I have to deal with. I have to force myself to be more extraverted than is comfortable for me when I'm at work, because, as the saying goes, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." Generally, though, I'm a far better writer than my coworkers, as writing naturally gives me the ability to think through something before I commit to it. So I have an advantage in the email space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Motor Jax and Gaze
Introverts tend to think before they speak, as has already been stated, and as such can often make themselves appear far more intelligent than they actually are; the advantages of which are obvious. Also, I theorize based upon the empirical evidence of my socialization, introverts tend to know themselves far better than extraverts. This can often lead to increased confidence, which I view as a very strong positive trait.

I think I see and experience more as an introverted person than the extroverts. I guess that's a benefit to me mostly, but it's also what makes poets and writers and teachers.

Focus. You can maintain your line better than extroverts. But then extroverts seem to exert a certain influence upon their environment. But I still think, by and large, extroversion has more social benefits than introversion. And luckily, I'm somewhere in the middle.

I think that instead of talking about social benefits of introversion, it would be better to address the intuition.

With introversion, the social benefit is I don't need social interaction- because I can't stand it, unless it's at work or school or with a few select friends.

What I get out of intuition though, is awesome. The social benefit of intuition is that I can have incredibly deep and meaningful conversations with my other intuitive friends. I have known plenty of introverts, but they are just as sucky as extraverts [to me at least] if they are sensors- unless they are sensors with a degree of intuition that has been developed.

Elitism. Being a know it all. Understanding yourself but not knowing much about others. Oh wait benefits, let me see....

I find that I hibernate quite a bit. I spend a lot of time alone, doing things alone, and then when I do see someone I talk quite a bit. Like I need to get all the thoughts I have been thinking out. I'm quieter with people I'm not as close with and a lot more talkative with my close friends. Usually one on one though, in groups im much quieter. Is that normal?

Benefits if introversion -- independence, we;'re not as needy.

Lots of benefits as already mentioned- just as useful as extraversion, just different

Independance, greater focus- less distraction, ability to concentrate, less social pressure, less obligations, possibly more original in thought, comfortable with silence, less intimidating to some, better listening, fewer but higher quality relationships, less need for attention, supportive of others, less akward silences, more meaningful silences, more time to think, less gossipy, more considerate responses, encourage others to communicate, less likely to interrupt, less disruptive etc.

In the current course Im studying - several of my classes are all introverts plus a couple of ENFPs. This environment is so relaxing and low pressure. Even the quieter, shy people feel comfortable enough to share and contribute. Theres very little 'talking over people', irelevant interuptions etc, so its a very conducive place for real communication and discussion. I love it. I love and appreciate extraverts, but being in a room full of introverts is just so nice and comfortable

Actually apparently there is a book about the Introverted Advantage and there's a list of the top ten reasons why it's awesome to be an introvert:

10) Work Well With Others, Especially In One-to-One Relationships
9) Maintain Long-Term Friendships
8) Flexible
7) Independent
6) Strong Ability To Concentrate
5) Self-Reflective
4) Responsible
3) Creative, Out-of-the-Box thinking
2) Analytical Skills That Integrate Complexity
1) Studious and Smart

This definitely made me feel better- as lately I have regretted my more introverted stance on life. I have yet to read the book, but when I read it, I will let you guys know what I think. Apparently there's also some other books about networking for introverts, http://www.businesspundit.com/how-to-network-for-introverts/