social benefits of introversion | INFJ Forum

social benefits of introversion

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I thought it was interesting that introversion often has negative connotations and is seen as a form of anti-social behavior in social settings when it can be a social benefit.

So, what do you think are some of the social benefits of introversion.

Independence.

This might not quite be on topic, but when an introvert is being introverted in public, and is comfortable with quietness, it can be a great encouragement to other introverts in that social setting. (((hope that made sense)))

Reactions: Gaze
Original thought as opposed to common opinion. A tendency towards knowing things differently than extroverts.

Sympathy. An appreciation of silence.

More thought, less talk.
I find this to be an advantage, too, especially over time. People pick up on this and really seem to appreciate and respect it. This is a huge social benefit over the long term leading to deeply meaningful personal connections and friendships. That said, I do generally tend to avoid the somewhat wonky dynamics of larger groups.

More thought, less talk.

Don't keep all that thought to yourself, let the rest of society benefit please. :)

---------

You get a certain kind of respect from people if you are quiet... either the He's a scholar type of respect or he's a unibomber type. Either one has its own advatages.

As an introvert, one's likely to be able to maintain a stable social network over a long period of time. "Fair weather friends" are more likely for extroverts.

As an introvert, one's likely to be able to maintain a stable social network over a long period of time. "Fair weather friends" are more likely for extroverts.

Agree! Or at least that's how it works with my closest friends. The group is 5 introverts and 1 extrovert. It's a great group because the majority of us are quite stable and low/companionable energy socially... But we also love our extrovert because he adds energy! (Though I can see where a whole group of such would be more volatile =P)

Agree! Or at least that's how it works with my closest friends. The group is 5 introverts and 1 extrovert. It's a great group because the majority of us are quite stable and low/companionable energy socially... But we also love our extrovert because he adds energy! (Though I can see where a whole group of such would be more volatile =P)

Be careful with that sole extrovert! It sounds like he's the unicorn in the group. lol

Be careful with that sole extrovert! It sounds like he's the unicorn in the group. lol

We take the care and feeding of our lone extrovert seriously... And it doesn't hurt that he likes to talk while we like to listen (not that we don't talk, it is just far quieter when he is absent) =P

I have a probable ENTP friend who can usually make me smile because he's so funny and interesting. On the flip side of that we can sometimes talk about more serious topics, which allows me to talk a little more.

Last edited:
My sister and I are both very, very introverted. Most of the friends she brings over are probable ES types, and they talk and talk and talk. I don't see how she can stand to be around them. To me, people who talk incessantly don't say much of anything of substance, in all their blabber.

Social introversion makes you seem mysterious, and possibly smarter, to the people around you ;)
At times, you might experience more respect for it.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Lincoln

I don't understand how people on MySpace and FB and stuff can have, like, over 1,000 friends and shit. Fuckin' ridiculous.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Lincoln

lulz. I agree with this. I learned the hard way that I should think twice about what I say before acting so loud and confident about it... :C via some guy shouting "You're an idiot!" at me during one class in highschool .. he was being rude but it despirited me well enough :(

Reactions: grt$5vb
Hmmm... I guess by observing the gathering from a detached perspective, you can decide who would most benefit from your attention. As in "the under dog."

I never like anyone to feel left out, or ganged up on.

lulz. I agree with this. I learned the hard way that I should think twice about what I say before acting so loud and confident about it... :C via some guy shouting "You're an idiot!" at me during one class in highschool .. he was being rude but it despirited me well enough :(

Lol. That's just about the worst thing someone could say about people like us. I'm always really paranoid someone is going to say that about me, which is why I rarely ever speak up in class-- unless I really feel like it. But, really, people who call other people idiots all the time are probably idiots themselves.