So what does Ni look like for you guys? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

So what does Ni look like for you guys?

Ni is like the most ancient thing, and the newest thing - something paleolithic and cosmic
Ni is like the monolith from Space Odyssey.
Ni is like a zen garden building on an old landmine field
Ni is like a skylit aurora and a personal flashlight

Hmmm ... Not sure if it is my Ni or something else, but my minds natural state is paradoxically quiet and blank, but always active. It's like an effortless autonomous thought process with a mission, that's constantly making new connections placing new input in old patterns that are all connected to one big pattern that I sort of can visualize. Whenever I get stressed, it's often because new input changes an old pattern so much that it effects the big pattern in a way I'm not in control of. Then I know my intuition has failed me, but I can't tell where or when that happened, and I need to go through everything to find the error. It's like science, the result isn't worth anything if one little detail is wrong. I hate shortcuts to understanding something. That sometimes makes me seem ignorant or uninterested, but I'm actually afraid that I will miss important details if I just copy someone's understanding, not doing the whole route myself.

I know I'm thinking visually while doing this, but I can't describe it not even to myself, it's too abstract. When I explain to others I translate my thoughts into more concrete pictures like the roots of a tree for example.

It's cooler at the moment so I went out for walk in the country for an hour near where I live this afternoon. Just realised I was so pre-occupied with thoughts and insights whizzing around In my head that I can't remember a thing about it except the basic route I took …….. I'll get knocked flat by a truck one of these days.

Intraverted intuition is just a myth made up by corporations to keep you glued to your computer screen so you'll absentmindedly click on ads in your browser that your intraverted intuition led you to click on.

Hmmm ... Not sure if it is my Ni or something else, but my minds natural state is paradoxically quiet and blank, but always active. It's like an effortless autonomous thought process with a mission, that's constantly making new connections placing new input in old patterns that are all connected to one big pattern that I sort of can visualize. Whenever I get stressed, it's often because new input changes an old pattern so much that it effects the big pattern in a way I'm not in control of. Then I know my intuition has failed me, but I can't tell where or when that happened, and I need to go through everything to find the error. It's like science, the result isn't worth anything if one little detail is wrong. I hate shortcuts to understanding something. That sometimes makes me seem ignorant or uninterested, but I'm actually afraid that I will miss important details if I just copy someone's understanding, not doing the whole route myself.

I know I'm thinking visually while doing this, but I can't describe it not even to myself, it's too abstract. When I explain to others I translate my thoughts into more concrete pictures like the roots of a tree for example.

Yeah.. mine is the same... I just don't stress about it as much... If the information isn't urgent, I'll just leave it there until good info turns up or replace... If Ni is intuition (correct me if I'm wrong) Then it simply means you have narrowed the variables to an acceptable margin of error, so much so, that your willing to bet money on it but further confirmation is required to be 100% sure... These calculations happen in a higher part of the brain and you barely register them.

Investigator's typically use Ni when connecting clues to crimes...

giphy.gif

1. Ni - internal iNtuition
Ni is the way that an NiFe perceives their inner world, it dictates the way they store information and how they perceive that information. It also heavily dictates the path that their train of thought will take. Ni tends to store information in a spread out way with all the pieces of data having connections of various strengths to multiple additional pieces of data. This creates a dense web-like mass of information that is too large to be viewed in detail as a whole, but can be zoomed in on to show intricate clusters and threads of thoughts. This network of data rests slightly outside of the conscious mind, giving Ni a dreamlike quality that is equally likely to be experienced in images and impressions as it is to produce concrete facts. Because the focus of the Ni perception is constantly scanning the whole but also frequently zooming in on various thoughts and feelings and changing angles on a subject, Ni dominant people tend to experience their inner world as constantly fluctuating.

3100e03d25f599970f087fd8b3df17c0.jpg

Ni is the way that an NiFe perceives their inner world, it dictates the way they store information and how they perceive that information. It also heavily dictates the path that their train of thought will take. Ni tends to store information in a spread out way with all the pieces of data having connections of various strengths to multiple additional pieces of data. This creates a dense web-like mass of information that is too large to be viewed in detail as a whole, but can be zoomed in on to show intricate clusters and threads of thoughts. This network of data rests slightly outside of the conscious mind, giving Ni a dreamlike quality that is equally likely to be experienced in images and impressions as it is to produce concrete facts. Because the focus of the Ni perception is constantly scanning the whole but also frequently zooming in on various thoughts and feelings and changing angles on a subject, Ni dominant people tend to experience their inner world as constantly fluctuating.

View attachment 43743

This is an absolutely perfect description

One thing that I've been thinking a lot about is the idea that we INFJs (and INTJs) tend to not really notice our Ni - as other types don't tend to notice whatever function is in their primary slot. I think the idea is that it just comes so naturally that we tend to overlook it or discount it. When I had first heard that, I thought that it couldn't really be true, could it? I mean, I got the concept, but it just seemed a little odd to me. After all, I could sit down and think about the ways that Ni has shown up for me. I could think about its different permutations.

But then I caught myself wondering if I really had Ni in the dominant spot because I don't necessarily see it in myself. But then I came back to that idea - what if I don't even notice that I'm using it because it comes so naturally? Except that I do notice it when I do things that call attention to it.

For example. I almost never finish non-fiction books. I try to, and I mean to. But about half-way in, I feel like I know everything they are going to say, and I get bored. Boom. I'm out. I can hardly drag myself back into it when that happens. Blog posts are even worse. As soon as I know where they are going, it's almost as though I've already read it. It's terrible.

I guess that I'm saying that it's a little hard to describe what it's like except for when something calls attention to it. When I catch myself hitting the back button on that blog.
When I'm trying to solve a complex problem, and I'm shifting around the relevant "concept blocks" as I call them. When I've jumped to a conclusion, and I'm trying to keep myself from blurting it out, because the people I'm talking to aren't ready for it yet, or it's at a point in the conversation where it would be too abrupt or blunt. When I do go ahead and blurt it out, and no one agrees with me.

The more I think about it, I guess I do notice it mostly when I have to control it. Fe, on the other hand, is more noticeable because it's more likely to kick me in the ass.

Last edited:
When I've jumped to a conclusion, and I'm trying to keep myself from blurting it out, because the people I'm talking to aren't ready for it yet, or it's at a point in the conversation where it would be too abrupt or blunt. When I do go ahead and blurt it out, and no one agrees with me.

Yeah. Everyone on this forum be like-
6a0120a6002285970c01a511dfebdc970c-500wi

Yeah.. mine is the same... I just don't stress about it as much... If the information isn't urgent, I'll just leave it there until good info turns up or replace... If Ni is intuition (correct me if I'm wrong) Then it simply means you have narrowed the variables to an acceptable margin of error, so much so, that your willing to bet money on it but further confirmation is required to be 100% sure... These calculations happen in a higher part of the brain and you barely register them.

Investigator's typically use Ni when connecting clues to crimes...

Wow! This is very close to how I've described it in the past. I've also described it as solving an equation with lots of minor calculations. I'm always working on it, and I'll settle for approx, knowing nothing is ever 100%. The motivation to confirm it for the sake of it, is not there if I think I've got the answer. I'm really bad at math, so it's a weird comparison...

I generally don't get stressed over not having control, because in a sense I always do have control. People wonder how I can be so chill about stuff, and how I somehow allways manage to get by. If the dentist says he will set me up for an appointment at 10 Thursday next week, I probably won't remember the time the next minute, the only thing I listen for is whether I actually need to go or not, by the tone in his voice and choice of words. This does some times bite me in the ass, with real consequences. For instance when my university got a new owner and the practice of rules changed suddenly, without people acting different. I had to wait a whole year because of my approx calculations...

However, if I've miscalculated something in a relationship, I won't rest until I could bet "all my money" I've got it right. The stress and loss of confidence undermines my Ni I guess, and I switch to Ne, thinking if I got one thing wrong how do I know if I got anything right? A couple of days later, just before you can smell my brain burning, I'm satisfied with the new approx calculation.

Reactions: Sandie33

View attachment 43743

Where is this decription from? :openmouth:

This is what Ni looks like to me, absolutely mind blown and ponders extensively about the origins of the universe and the complexities of nature...and...and... yeah. The video explains it well.

Just kidding.

All jokes aside, the way I perceive Ni to me personally is that it is innate, especially for INJs in particular. It is a quality that one is unaware of, it just comes naturally and requires no effort-- deeply contemplating of concepts, ideas, symbolism, metaphors; and of course, having a fondness for beauty, may it be visually or metaphorically.

Ni subconsciously processes data, putting together pieces together from the outside world, which comes from our inferior function Se, and thus Ni connects through different lenses and perspectives, seeing things differently than most individuals. Like a nice, complex puzzle.

Yesterday evening, I was looking through my bedroom window and the sun was setting. Oh, it was such a beautiful sight. One of the many things I appreciate is having to see the beauty of a pink-yellow tinted sunset every evening from my window. And my mind suddenly wonders off, thinking deeply regarding the complexities of time and how quickly things go by. I later realize I have been within my own thoughts and concepts for a solid 15 minutes, just sitting in my room and pondering of all the possibilities.

This is what Ni looks like to me, absolutely mind blown and ponders extensively about the origins of the universe and the complexities of nature...and...and... yeah. The video explains it well.

Just kidding.

All jokes aside, the way I perceive Ni to me personally is that it is innate, especially for INJs in particular. It is a quality that one is unaware of, it just comes naturally and requires no effort-- deeply contemplating of concepts, ideas, symbolism, metaphors; and of course, having a fondness for beauty, may it be visually or metaphorically.

Ni subconsciously processes data, putting together pieces together from the outside world, which comes from our inferior function Se, and thus Ni connects through different lenses and perspectives, seeing things differently than most individuals. Like a nice, complex puzzle.

Yesterday evening, I was looking through my bedroom window and the sun was setting. Oh, it was such a beautiful sight. One of the many things I appreciate is having to see the beauty of a pink-yellow tinted sunset every evening from my window. And my mind suddenly wonders off, thinking deeply regarding the complexities of time and how quickly things go by. I later realize I have been within my own thoughts and concepts for a solid 15 minutes, just sitting in my room and pondering of all the possibilities.

This is what I would like my Ni to be like! :hearteyes: My thinking is all about "usefulness" to serve some mission/solve a problem etc, not much beauty or exploring cool ideas :disappointed: I suspect it got to do with being enneagram 5

This is what I would like my Ni to be like! :hearteyes: My thinking is all about "usefulness" to serve some mission/solve a problem etc, not much beauty or exploring cool ideas :disappointed: I suspect it got to do with being enneagram 5

Well I do think you can be able to strengthen your Ti or Se, which in return can possibly help with your Ni! Also trusting your intuition more may help.

Or you can interact with others with different personality types, preferably those with intuitive-dominant personalities if you know of any. I have a few of them, especially family members who are ENTPs, INTJs or ENFPs, and they always help me with my Ni.

Last edited:
Well I do think you can be able to strengthen your Ti or Se, which in return can possibly help with your Ni! Also trusting your intuition more may help.

Or you can interact with others with different personality types, preferably those with intuitive-dominant personalities if you know of any. I have a few of them, especially family members who are ENTPs, INTJs or ENFPs, and they always help me with my Ni.

I think I'm stuck with it, unfortunately :sweatsmile: I was a little more explorative and "free" as a child, but I think my INTP brother influenced me to prioritize Ti more. I've lived with my ENFP boyfriend for a couple of years now, from who I have learned that my intuition is definitely not always right :tearsofjoy: and he has learned trust his a little more. Maybe I should hang out more with my high Se sensor-friend? :smirk: