So what does Ni look like for you guys? | INFJ Forum

So what does Ni look like for you guys?

Adonnus

Three
Nov 16, 2014
MBTI
INFP
So I've been wondering what Ni looks like - visually, I mean - inside your own heads. As an INFP I find generally past images or video-type footage "plays" in my mind when thinking about something. Sometimes it can be quite vivid and detailed when it's something I care about. (Generally the more I care about it the higher the budget a movie it seems. Better special effects.)

I always imagined Ni as a sort of flow chart type thing with all these pieces of information and arrows going everywhere connecting them (but I imagine this isn't the case)

I'm interested to know how you reach the conclusions you do, my dad is an INTJ, he is always making ridiculous predictions about things with seemingly nothing to back it up or base it on (mainly sports, he'll go like "This team is finished! They're gonna get creamed!" and then five seconds later say the same thing about the other team). But that's probably just him. I don't imagine most of you guys do anything like that.

Last edited:
Flowchart...? I don't think it's that...rigid?

But I cannot explain. I visualize it as worlds, sometimes a place, sometimes characters, sometimes like flashes of light and shapes and--

I don't know.

That's one difficult question you got there.

I don't feel like my Ni is that easy to discribe, primarily as I don't know "what's so special about my sight of the world". If I could get inside any others brain, then I might be able to distinguish the differenses and what's part of my Ni and what's part of anyother thinking human.

That being said I do believe my brain works in seeing parables, not typically pictures or some thing like that - even though pictures are highly frequently appearing in my thoughts.

It's like a radar that doesn't work all of the time and really isn't a radar at all.

Reactions: Infjente
It's not visual for me at all. My memory is more visual, but pops from unconsciousness aren't.

Ni for me is sudden understanding. Ideas, connections, patterns, a network.

So I've been wondering what Ni looks like - visually, I mean - inside your own heads. As an INFP I find generally past images or video-type footage "plays" in my mind when thinking about something. Sometimes it can be quite vivid and detailed when it's something I care about. (Generally the more I care about it the higher the budget a movie it seems. Better special effects.)
This sounds more like Si.
I believe every type uses every function, just some more than the other. This is you using Si.
Si would be visual for me too, just like you describe it.

I see Ni as thoughts and ideas, flowing to the center, the big picture, the conclusion. It's sharp, piercing.

Ne is more ideas flowing from the center, less refined, blunt, the possibilities stemming from the conclusion.

I would describe it as a construct of information. Much like Si stores information by rote in a massive library, Ni stores information by its relationships to everything else. All the processes and systems and patterns that link two or more things are preserved and are in fact crucial. Any gaps of information are filled in with guesswork (which explains the "fill-in-the-blanks" description I've seen), and extraneous details are omitted, resulting in several possible permutations of the construct as a whole. The "aha" moment of Ni comes when we've found the "solution" to this construct and the whole thing becomes crystal clear.

In fact, the whole Ni process can be likened to solving a mystery, which explains Sherlock Holmes and Batman both being typed as INTJ. Take in information, assemble it into a construct of something greater than the sum of the information itself, fill in any gaps with guesswork, and gather more information, until we've arrived at one or more conclusions. Then it's a simple matter of repeating the process until the whole reveals itself.

But take this as an Ni-dom simply making logical sense of what goes on in his own mind. I've yet to find two typists who describe Ni in a similar manner.

Ni=Unified vision of everything. Inside the vision is the Expression of Ideals (Fi) in relation with reality.
Ni is the intermediate between actions and Fi. If under heavy load(War), Fi could fall and Ni would probably corrupt and drift away from ideals overtime, leaving only care about the ENTJ's inner circle to regenerate. =My half-assed hypothesis.

I previously thought I was Ne, Since Ni-Te and Ne-Ti share similar combo abilities.
I am not sure if it's Ti or Ni who does the consolidations and if it's Te or-Ne that does the expansive understanding or explaining. But I am sure they share the role similarities I mentioned despite massive differences.
I have all of them, I was never hardcore of MBTI.

Oups im still new with this, I thought this disappeared after I quoted.

Last edited:
I would describe it as a construct of information. Much like Si stores information by rote in a massive library, Ni stores information by its relationships to everything else. All the processes and systems and patterns that link two or more things are preserved and are in fact crucial. Any gaps of information are filled in with guesswork (which explains the "fill-in-the-blanks" description I've seen), and extraneous details are omitted, resulting in several possible permutations of the construct as a whole. The "aha" moment of Ni comes when we've found the "solution" to this construct and the whole thing becomes crystal clear.

In fact, the whole Ni process can be likened to solving a mystery, which explains Sherlock Holmes and Batman both being typed as INTJ. Take in information, assemble it into a construct of something greater than the sum of the information itself, fill in any gaps with guesswork, and gather more information, until we've arrived at one or more conclusions. Then it's a simple matter of repeating the process until the whole reveals itself.

But take this as an Ni-dom simply making logical sense of what goes on in his own mind. I've yet to find two typists who describe Ni in a similar manner.
Yeah I agree, so there's me, I will add upon :we will forget S details in favor of patterns. The guesswork must be a complex algorithm that also substitutes Ti critical thought. The most developed and complex cognitive function.
Ni is Unity of all (as opposed to bias-inducing classification and duality), If the individual is resolute, Ni is also a VISION, in that vision, the ideals (Fi) manifests themselves through understood reality.
Ni is the intermediate between actions and Fi
I have a half assed hypothesis on how ENTJ could experience moral regression: Under high critical load (war), Fi may be cut off enough for Ni to start to drift away from Ideals (Fi) under the high tactical demands of Te and Se.
This depends on the psychological resilience.

I wasnt sure wether I was Ne-Ti or Te-Ni since both share similar abilities. Ti substitutes with Ni for cosnolidation and Ne sbustitutes with Te for expansion. I was never hardcore on type, I am a independent thinker who made it's own theory before even reading much on MBTI. A lot was similar. I think I have all 4 highly. ''I'm just that good'' haha.

Last edited:
I see Ni as thoughts and ideas, flowing to the center, the big picture, the conclusion. It's sharp, piercing.

Ne is more ideas flowing from the center, less refined, blunt, the possibilities stemming from the conclusion.
I agree. If it was 3D or 2D, I would picture it as a blackhole eating Data and after a few years, endlessly, releasing truth.
Data is the matter being sucked in and the chaos is the processing done meanwhile in the accretion disks.
Synthesized truth is the Energy beams coming away form the center.

Kinda like that:

josephine-wall-nautilus-300-pieces-grafika-kids-puzzle.59258-1.fs.jpg

;)

For me... I suppose it would be my bullshit sensor.

Oh yes - but make sure the overload cut-off is working OK

When I'm trying to solve a problem, like in research I like to fill my mind with a lot of fundamental information and then I like to think of it as a pool and then all the concepts are filling but every single topic can be broken down into even smaller topics (say one topic were like a specific volume of water, that can be broken down into a large hydrogen bonded network of molecules, then each of those networks is made up of individual molecules, and eqch of those molecules is different combinations of individual atoms) all of these represent different sized concepts. As i "swim" through the pool of my mind you interface with all these things in a metaphysical way and things will just align as you allow yourself to wade through all the inputs(sensory, theoretical, anything) and that's when you just know something without really being able to explain exactly how.

IDK lol. Trying to be honest and not sound pretentious. I have another metaphor but I don't want to write anymore and I do already think I sound pretentious haha.

Good description @Erick and welcome to the forum :)