Skarekrow's evidence of the spirit | INFJ Forum

Skarekrow's evidence of the spirit

CogentPursuit

Community Member
Nov 9, 2013
MBTI
LOGIC
There is far more evidence than you think.
The evidence for PSI activity alone is very compelling and is held to much stricter standards than many non-controversial experiments.

Not only from the PEAR Lab at Princeton - [video=vimeo;4359545]https://vimeo.com/4359545[/video]

But elsewhere (I can supply you with more if you wish) -

Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications on Psi Research

The following is a selected list of downloadable peer-reviewed journal articles reporting studies of psychic phenomena, mostly published in the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century.

There are also some important papers of historical interest and other resources.
A comprehensive list would run into thousands of articles.

Click on the title of an article to download it.
The international professional organization for scientists and scholars interested in psi phenomena is theParapsychological Association, an elected affiliate (since 1969) of the AAAS, the largest general scientific organization in the world.

Commonly repeated critiques about psi, such as “these phenomena are impossible,” or “there’s no valid scientific evidence,” or “the results are all due to fraud,” have been soundly rejected for many decades.

Such critiques persist due to ignorance of the relevant literature and to entrenched, incorrect beliefs.
Legitimate debates today no longer focus on existential questions but on development of adequate theoretical explanations, advancements in methodology, the “source” of psi, and issues about effect size heterogeneity and robustness of replication.

This page is maintained by Dean Radin. Updated April 18, 2014.

Healing at a Distance

Astin et al (2000). The Efficacy of “Distant Healing”: A Systematic Review of Randomized Trials

Leibovici (2001). Effects of remote, retroactive intercessory prayer on outcomes in patients with bloodstream infection: randomised controlled trial

Krucoff et al (2001).Integrative noetic therapies as adjuncts to percutaneous intervention during unstable coronary syndromes: Monitoring and Actualization of Noetic Training (MANTRA) feasibility pilot

Radin et al (2004). Possible effects of healing intention on cell cultures and truly random events.

Krucoff et al (2005). Music, imagery, touch, and prayer as adjuncts to interventional cardiac care: the Monitoring and Actualisation of Noetic Trainings (MANTRA) IIrandomised study

Benson et al (2006). Study of the therapeutic effects of intercessory prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients

Masters & Spielmans (2007). Prayer and Health: Review, Meta-Analysis, and Research Agenda

Radin et al (2008). Compassionate intention as a therapeutic intervention by partners of cancer patients: Effects of distant intention on the patients’ autonomic nervous system.

Schlitz et al (2012). Distant healing of surgical wounds: An exploratory study

Physiological correlations at a distance

Duane & Behrendt (1965). Extrasensory electroencephalographic induction between identical twins.

Grinberg-Zylberbaum et al (1994). The Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Paradox in the Brain: The transferred potential

Wiseman & Schlitz (1997). Experimenter effects and the remote detection of staring.

Standish et al (2003). Evidence of correlated functional magnetic resonance imaging signals between distant human brains.

Wackermann et al (2003). Correlations between brain electrical activities of two spatially separated human subjects

Schmidt et al (2004). Distant intentionality and the feeling of being stared at: Two meta-analyses

Radin (2004). Event related EEG correlations between isolated human subjects.

Standish et al (2004). Electroencephalographic evidence of correlated event-related signals between the brains of spatially and sensory isolated human subjects

Richards et al (2005). Replicable functional magnetic resonance imaging evidence of correlated brain signals between physically and sensory isolated subjects.

Achterberg et al (2005). Evidence for correlations between distant intentionality and brain function in recipients: A functional magnetic resonance imaging analysis

Radin (2005). The sense of being stared at: A preliminary meta-analysis.

Radin & Schlitz (2005). Gut feelings, intuition, and emotions: An exploratory study.

Schlitz et al (2006). Of two minds: Skeptic-proponent collaboration within parapsychology.

Moulton & Kosslyn (2008). Using neuroimaging to resolve the psi debate

Ambach (2008). Correlations between the EEGs of two spatially separated subjects − a replication study

Hinterberger (2010). Searching for neuronal markers of psi: A summary of three studies measuring electrophysiology in distant participants

Schmidt (2012). Can we help just by good intentions? A meta-analysis of experiments on distant intention effects

Jensen & Parker (2012). Entangled in the womb? A pilot study on the possible physiological connectedness between identical twins with different embryonic backgrounds

Parker & Jensen (2013). Further possible physiological connectedness between identical twins: The London study

Telepathy & ESP

Targ & Puthoff (1974). Information transmission under conditions of sensory shielding.

Puthoff & Targ (1976). A perceptual channel for information transfer over kilometer distance: Historical perspective and recent research

Eisenberg & Donderi (1979). Telepathic transfer of emotional information in humans

Bem & Honorton (1994). Does psi exist?

Hyman (1994). Anomaly or artifact? Comments on Bem and Honorton

Bem (1994). Response to Hyman

Milton & Wiseman (1999). Does Psi Exist? Lack of Replication of an Anomalous Process of Information Transfer

Sheldrake & Smart (2000). Testing a return-anticipating dog, Kane

Sheldrake & Smart (2000). A dog that seems to know when his owner to coming home: Videotaped experiments and
observations

Storm & Ertel (2001). Does Psi Exist? Comments on Milton and Wiseman's (1999) Meta-Analysis of Ganzfeld Research

Milton & Wiseman (2001). Does Psi Exist? Reply to Storm and Ertel (2001)

Sheldrake & Morgana (2003). Testing a language-using parrot for telepathy

Sheldrake & Smart (2003). Videotaped experiments on telephone telepathy

Sherwood & Roe (2003). A Review of Dream ESP Studies Conducted Since the Maimonides Dream ESP Programme

Delgado-Romero & Howard (2005). Finding and Correcting Flawed Research Literatures

Hastings (2007). Comment on Delgado-Romero and Howard

Radin (2007). Finding Or Imagining Flawed Research?

Storm et al (2010). Meta-Analysis of Free-Response Studies, 1992—2008: Assessing the Noise Reduction Model in Parapsychology

Storm et al (2010). A Meta-Analysis With Nothing to Hide: Reply to Hyman (2010)

Tressoldi (2011). Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence: the case of non-local perception, a classical and Bayesian review of evidences

Tressoldi et al (2011). Mental Connection at Distance: Useful for Solving Difficult Tasks?

Williams (2011). Revisiting the Ganzfeld ESP Debate: A Basic Review and Assessment

Rouder et al (2013). A Bayes Factor Meta-Analysis of Recent Extrasensory Perception Experiments: Comment on Storm,
Tressoldi, and Di Risio (2010)

Storm et al (2013). Testing the Storm et al. (2010) Meta-Analysis Using Bayesian and Frequentist Approaches: Reply to Rouder et al. (2013)

General Overviews & Critiques

Utts (1996). An assessment of the evidence for psychic functioning

Alcock (2003). Give the null hypothesis a chance

Parker & Brusewitz (2003). A compendium of the evidence for psi

Carter (2010). Heads I lose, tails you win.

McLuhan (no date). Fraud in psi research

Survival of Consciousness

van Lommel et al (2001). Near-death experience in survivors of cardiac arrest: a prospective study in the Netherlands

van Lommel (2006). Near-death experience, consciousness, and the brain

Beischel & Schwartz (2007). Anomalous information reception by research mediums demonstrated using a novel triple-blind protocol

Greyson (2010). Seeing dead people not known to have died: “Peak in Darien” experiences

Kelly (2010). Some directions for mediumship research

Kelly & Arcangel (2011). An investigation of mediums who claim to give information about deceased persons

Nahm et al (2011). Terminal lucidity: A review and a case collection.

Facco & Agrillo (2012). Near-death experiences between science and prejudice

Matlock (2012). Bibliography of reincarnation resources online (articles and books, all downloadable)

Precognition & Presentiment

Honorton & Ferrari (1989). “Future telling”: A meta-analysis of forced-choice precognition experiments, 1935-1987

Spottiswoode & May (2003). Skin Conductance Prestimulus Response: Analyses, Artifacts and a Pilot Study

Radin (2004). Electrodermal presentiments of future emotions.

McCraty et al (2004). Electrophysiological Evidence of Intuition: Part 1. The Surprising Role of the Heart

McCraty et al (2004). Electrophysiological Evidence of Intuition: Part 2. A System-Wide Process?

Radin & Lobach (2007). Toward understanding the placebo effect: Investigating a possible retrocausal factor.

Radin & Borges (2009). Intuition through time: What does the seer see?

Bem (2011). Feeling the Future: Experimental Evidence for Anomalous Retroactive Influences on Cognition and Affect

Bem et al (2011). Must Psychologists Change the Way They Analyze Their Data?

Bierman (2011). Anomalous Switching of the Bi-Stable Percept of a Necker Cube: A Preliminary Study

Radin et al (2011). Electrocortical activity prior to unpredictable stimuli in meditators and non-meditators.

Radin (2011). Predicting the Unpredictable: 75 Years of Experimental Evidence

Tressoldi et al (2011). Let Your Eyes Predict : Prediction Accuracy of Pupillary Responses to Random Alerting and Neutral Sounds

Galek et al (2012). Correcting the Past: Failures to Replicate Psi

Mossbridge et al (2012). Predictive physiological anticipation preceding seemingly unpredictable stimuli: a meta-analysis

Theory

Josephson & Pallikari-Viras (1991). Biological Utilisation of Quantum NonLocality

May et al (1995). Decision augmentation theory: Towards a model of anomalous mental phenomena

Houtkooper (2002). Arguing for an Observational Theory of Paranormal Phenomena

Bierman (2003). Does Consciousness Collapse the Wave-Packet?

Dunne & Jahn (2005). Consciousness, information, and living systems

Henry (2005). The mental universe

Hiley & Pylkkanen (2005). Can Mind Affect Matter Via Active Information?

Lucadou et al (2007). Synchronistic Phenomena as Entanglement Correlations in Generalized Quantum Theory

Rietdijk (2007). Four-Dimensional Physics, Nonlocal Coherence, and Paranormal Phenomena

Bierman (2010). Consciousness induced restoration of time symmetry (CIRTS ): A psychophysical theoretical perspective

Tressoldi et al (2010). Extrasensory perception and quantum models of cognition.

Tressoldi (2012). Replication unreliability in psychology: elusive phenomena or “elusive” statistical power?

Mind-Matter Interaction

Crookes (1874). Researches in the phenomena of spiritualism

Crookes (1874). Notes of séances with DDH

Medhurst & Goldney (1964). William Crookes and the physical phenomena of mediumship.

Merrifield (1885/1971). Merrifield’s report (on D. D. Home)

Braude (1985). The enigma of Daniel Home

Zorab (1971). Were D. D. Home’s ‘spirit hands” ever fraudulently produced?

Jahn (1982). The persistent paradox of psychic phenomena: An engineering perspective.

Inglis (1983). Review of “The spiritualists. The passion for the occult in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries by Ruth Brandon.”

Schmidt (1987). The strange properties of psychokinesis.

Schmidt (1990). Correlation between mental processes and external random events

Radin & Nelson (1989). Evidence for consciousness-related anomalies in random physical systems

Radin & Ferrari (1991). Effects of consciousness on the fall of dice: A meta-analysis

Jahn et al (1997). Correlations of Random Binary Sequences with Pre-Stated Operator Intention: A Review of a 12-Year Program.

Nelson et al (2002). Correlations of continuous random data with major world events.

Crawford et al (2003). Alterations in Random Event Measures Associated with a Healing Practice

Freedman et al (2003). Effects of Frontal Lobe Lesions on Intentionality and Random Physical Phenomena

Bierman (2004). Does consciousness collapse the wave function?

Jahn & Dunne (2005). The PEAR Proposition.

Bosch et al (2006). Examining Psychokinesis: The Interaction of Human Intention With Random Number Generators–A Meta-
Analysis

Radin et al (2006). Reexamining psychokinesis: Commentary on the Bösch, Steinkamp and Boller meta-analysis.

Radin et al (2006). Assessing the Evidence for Mind-Matter Interaction Effects

Radin (2006). Experiments testing models of mind-matter interaction.

Radin. (2008). Testing nonlocal observation as a source of intuitive knowledge.

Nelson & Bancel (2011). Effects of mass consciousness: Changes in random data during global events.

Radin et al (2012). Consciousness and the double-slit interference pattern: Six experiments

Shiah & Radin (2013). Metaphysics of the tea ceremony: A randomized trial investigating the roles of intention and belief on mood while drinking tea

Radin et al (2013). Psychophysical interactions with a double-slit interference pattern

Potential Applications

Carpenter (2011). Laboratory psi effects may be put to practical use: Two pilot studies

Schwartz (1980/2000). Location and reconstruction of a Byzantine structure … [by remote viewing]

Some recommended books

Radin (1997). The Conscious Universe: The Scientific Truth of Psychic Phenomena

Radin (2006). Entangled Minds: Extrasensory Experiences in a Quantum Reality

Irwin & Watt (2007). An Introduction to Parapsychology

Mayer (2008). Extraordinary Knowing: Science, Skepticism, and the Inexplicable Powers of the Human Mind

Kelly et al (2009). Irreducible Mind: Toward a Psychology for the 21st Century

Tart (2009). The End of Materialism: How Evidence of the Paranormal Is Bringing Science and Spirit Together

Carter (2010). Science and the Near-Death Experience: How Consciousness Survives Death

Van Lommel (2011). Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience

Sheldrake (1999; new edition 2011) Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home, And Other Unexplained Powers of Animals

Alexander (2012). Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife

Carpenter (2012). First Sight: ESP and Parapsychology in Everyday Life

Carter (2012). Science and Psychic Phenomena: The Fall of the House of Skeptics

Targ (2012). The Reality of ESP: A Physicist's Proof of Psychic Abilities

Sheldrake (2003; new edition 2013) The Sense of Being Stared At, And Other Aspects of the Extended Mind

Radin (2013). Supernormal: Science, Yoga, and the Evidence for Extraordinary Psychic Abilities

Websites with access to more articles

Daryl Bem: Click here

Brian Josephson: Click here

Edwin May: Click here

Stephan Schwartz, Click here

Rupert Sheldrake: Click here

James Spottiswoode: Click here

Charles Tart: Click here

Russell Targ: Click here

Patrizio Tressoldi: Click here

Jessica Utts: Click here

Richard Wiseman: Click here

Journal of Scientific Exploration: Click here

Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) Laboratory: Click here or here.

Division of Perceptual Studies, University of Virginia: Click here

Esalen Center for Theory and Research: Click here

Videos

Greyson (2008). Consciousness Without Brain Activity: Near Death Experiences (United Nations)

Radin (2008), Science and the taboo of psi (Google TechTalk)

Sheldrake (2008) The extended mind (Google Tech Talk)
… more to be added …

This seems typical of your posts. I am always left astounded by the amount of data you put into your posts. I am intimidated by the amount of time and effort I would have to put into going through all of this and reviewing its importance, accuracy, and relevance to your stance on the subject. I am tempted to simply ignore it and give into that intimidation but I will instead contribute at least 1.5 hrs to this single post. I would however like to give you the opportunity to highlight on two to four of the most important articles that do the most to prove your point so that I do not miss them.

I would also like to direct you toward the documentary "An Honest Liar". I feel that this provides strong evidence that we should remain strongly skeptical of paranormal studies and the researchers ability to discern truth from deception or simply avoid misinterpretation of the evidence.

1. Contrary to popular belief, uncertainty of the cause is not evidence that the cause is supernatural. The cause is still only uncertain.
2. Determining cause and effect through statistics: For example. Finding out if prayer heals by determining the stats on how many who pray are healed vs those who don't pray. The results need to be consistent and there needs to be an obvious difference in variation between the two results or there is not adequate evidence to support the idea that praying contributes to healing.
3. Witnesses are generally not substantial enough evidence on its own by scientific standards or even in law because they are often incorrect in memory or subject to bias. (Out of body exeriences are not measrueable by any other standards) ( They also fail to explain how memory can be stored in the body if the spirit is experiencing the event outside the body)

Those are just the things I want to keep rooted in my own mind while evaluating these studies.

Last edited:
I would like to aek a question. What is the value of believing in these things as opposed to not believing in them?

I would like to aek a question. What is the value of believing in these things as opposed to not believing in them?

There are a number of personal reasons to believe in these things. One obvious one is the desire to know that there exists something beyond this life and that everything doesn't come to a meaningless ending.
One reason to not believe is that it makes you look more grounded and you might feel that people will take you more seriously particularly in the scientific field.

As far as what practical use supernatural studies might have... I think that many things we study seem to be impractical. I think science itself does a lot of collecting of information without having any idea of how it might be practical. Eventually some of that information does become practical but only after we collected enough of it and finally understand what we are looking at.

It's good that I've got the weekend off so that I can read your source list

Last edited:
Reactions: hush
This seems typical of your posts. I am always left astounded by the amount of data you put into your posts. I am intimidated by the amount of time and effort I would have to put into going through all of this and reviewing its importance, accuracy, and relevance to your stance on the subject. I am tempted to simply ignore it and give into that intimidation but I will instead contribute at least 1.5 hrs to this single post. I would however like to give you the opportunity to highlight on two to four of the most important articles that do the most to prove your point so that I do not miss them.

I would also like to direct you toward the documentary "An Honest Liar". I feel that this provides strong evidence that we should remain strongly skeptical of paranormal studies and the researchers ability to discern truth from deception or simply avoid misinterpretation of the evidence.

1. Contrary to popular belief, uncertainty of the cause is not evidence that the cause is supernatural. The cause is still only uncertain.
2. Determining cause and effect through statistics: For example. Finding out if prayer heals by determining the stats on how many who pray are healed vs those who don't pray. The results need to be consistent and there needs to be an obvious difference in variation between the two results or there is not adequate evidence to support the idea that praying contributes to healing.
3. Witnesses are generally not substantial enough evidence on its own by scientific standards or even in law because they are often incorrect in memory or subject to bias. (Out of body exeriences are not measrueable by any other standards) ( They also fail to explain how memory can be stored in the body if the spirit is experiencing the event outside the body)

Those are just the things I want to keep rooted in my own mind while evaluating these studies.

I didn’t mean to try and overwhelm you, just to show that there is far more data out there than people realize there is.
Also, I didn’t imply that PSI and the supernatural were related, nor do I claim to have any knowledge as to how such a process could take place.

I have my own personal thoughts about PSI and “spirits” and see no reason why such things could not exist, which by your own standards of not knowing the cause or because it is unmeasurable by science (except that certain parts have been) as of yet is applicable.

I have had my own subjective experiences with witnesses that could not be explained by any means, this included going so far as to call the USGS to confirm there was no earthquake activity in the area.
Things normally don’t fly through the air, or have invisible forces crash into them - I, along with others witnessed what can not be explained by science as of yet…perhaps one day it will…could it be a ghost - sure, could it be some PSI force - sure, could it be something yet unknown and unexplained - sure.
I don’t discount that the existence of the human spirit or the separation of brain and mind is a very difficult thing to prove.
I’m not trying to debate you or prove you wrong…I am only offering possibilities based upon anomalous things that occur and continue to occur with people.
Maybe we just blink out into nothingness when we die - beats the shit out of me…but based upon what I have witnessed in my own life and a lot of what I have studied I tend to think we do have a brain/mind duality…the concept doesn’t need to be religious or paranormal in nature.
BTW, I don’t think this way because it’s comforting to me to think that I will continue on somehow, that we are greater than this and there is purpose to the grand scheme of things.
I find the theories and concepts personally fun to think about and ponder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyote
It's good that I've got the weekend off so that I can read your source list

You want more…I can “muir” you with links if you like.

Reactions: Kgal
@Grayman

Also if you will note in the list provided that it does in fact have a section of critiques on PSI and PSI research.

Here’s a good one to begin with.
http://www.princeton.edu/~pear/pdfs/1997-correlations-random-binary-sequences-12-year-review.pdf

I hope you at least watched the video too btw.

I was on my phone earlier and it didn't show up. I watched it and they did a good job putting it together however they failed the repeatablity test.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_Engineering_Anomalies_Research_Lab
PEAR's results have been criticized for deficient reproducibility.[16] In one instance two German organizations failed to reproduce PEAR's results, while PEAR similarly failed to reproduce their own results.[13] An attempt by York University's Stan Jeffers also failed to replicate PEAR's results.[9]

Other reviews and articles say similar things. It is technically possible for the numbers to alter from their expected results and if they don't do it most of the time under the same conditions and not for any other research facility it is nothing but an anomaly.

I was on my phone earlier and it didn't show up. I watched it and they did a good job putting it together however they failed the repeatablity test.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_Engineering_Anomalies_Research_Lab

Other reviews and articles say similar things. It is technically possible for the numbers to alter from their expected results and if they don't do it most of the time under the same conditions and not for any other research facility it is nothing but an anomaly.

There are just as many articles that suggest the opposite of what your article states….so what is the point? I told you I wasn’t trying to debate you, you can believe whatever you want.

I doubt they would have received funding for the 27 years they did if they were just bullshitting everyone…but maybe so.
Once again…what is the point?
You seem to think my thoughts on such things are concrete when that is the furthest from reality.

And fuck off with the title of the thread - I never made such claims, just that there is evidential scientific papers and studies showing anomalous things.

To be clear, I do not suggest that there is no spirit. It is possible that the spirit does not choose but simply observes the sensations of the mind. But there is no accepted evidence that the spirit exists and there is no evidence to support the idea that if a spirit exists that it can alter our reality.

There is far more evidence than you think.
The evidence for PSI activity alone is very compelling and is held to much stricter standards than many non-controversial experiments.

Thread title "Skarekrow's evidence of the spirit"

And fuck off with the title of the thread - I never made such claims, just that there is evidential scientific papers and studies showing anomalous things.

Notice that the title says 'evidence' and not belief.

Just in case you are misunderstanding the intent of this thread it is just to review all this data that you claimed is evidence. It isn't to debate the existence of spirits but to determine how much evidence there is and what here constitutes as evidence.

Any physical evidence of spirit would seem contradictory. Non-physical/immaterial is a defining characteristic of "spirit".

To be fair, that evidence is not owned nor published by Skarekrow.

That's not what it actually says.In context, it states Skarekrow has taken ownership of the claim that it is evidence. It does not indicate authorship and one would normaly read it that way.

Any physical evidence of spirit would seem contradictory. Non-physical/immaterial is a defining characteristic of "spirit".

Although the spirit is not physical in itself, we are attempting to find evidence of its interactions with the physical realm. Human consciousness affecting the outcome on a random number generator without any physical or electrical interference could possibly be evidence of a spirit being able to since if a spirit exists it would be tied to consciousness.

Last edited:
That's not what it actually says.In context, it states Skarekrow has taken ownership of the claim that it is evidence. It does not indicate authorship and one would normaly read it that way.

Maybe so but making a thread with a user's name on it seems slightly adversarial.

Reactions: Skarekrow