Shredded | INFJ Forum

Shredded

barbad0s

Banned
Apr 18, 2011
MBTI
POOP
"This short film follows a group of teenage boys eager to emulate the muscle-filled bodies of their media heroes. Revealing the lengths these boys are willing to go to achieve their goal, this film explores the use of supplements and the temptations of steroids. The boys relate their experiences, desires and motivations to the audience, who are left to draw their own conclusions.

The film is designed to provoke discussion among teenagers about body image and where lines should be drawn between healthy and dangerous behaviour."

22 minutes.

watch here:

http://www.nfb.ca/film/shredded

Reactions: mochi
But that would be 22 minutes of my life I would never be able to get back

Reactions: David54
Those guys are ripped! I can understand their motives but excessive use of steroids can really mess someone up.

It's obvious that those guys had/have deep seeded issues. Many people today strive to look perfect on the outside to really make up for looking quite imperfect on the inside. They try to feel internally good by changing the outside which blinds them of their good qualities, their personality.

I'm not a big guy, I'm 5'7 at approximately 136 pounds and I'm quite happy that way. I really try to balance the exterior with the interior but really try to focus more on the interior, my good qualities and what I need to work on because I personally wouldn't approach a female if she had the perfect body and angel face. Looks fade away but personality can last a life time thus drawing me in to chicks with quality insides. (that sounded weird)

Good video niffer, it made me think.

Those guys are ripped! I can understand their motives but excessive use of steroids can really mess someone up.

It's obvious that those guys had/have deep seeded issues. Many people today strive to look perfect on the outside to really make up for looking quite imperfect on the inside. They try to feel internally good by changing the outside which blinds them of their good qualities, their personality.

I'm not a big guy, I'm 5'7 at approximately 136 pounds and I'm quite happy that way. I really try to balance the exterior with the interior but really try to focus more on the interior, my good qualities and what I need to work on because I personally wouldn't approach a female if she had the perfect body and angel face. Looks fade away but personality can last a life time thus drawing me in to chicks with quality insides. (that sounded weird)

That's a very good point, something I've personally struggled with (not the steroid part though). I have always strived to be perfect externally to compensate for my lack of self-confidence/ lacking personality attributes, but it didn't make a difference when I finally reached it. I was still the same person, no self confidence and struggling to find myself - which is not attractive at all.

Looks fade away but personality can last a life time thus drawing me in to chicks with quality insides. (that sounded weird)

I have excellent viscera, thank you very much.

I think it's a shame that people are willing to go to such lengths to have the "perfect" body. It reminds me of how people on my brother's wrestling team would starve themselves to "make weight".

I have seen it more and more of recent, this includes my trouble with such a subject. In the modern world we are so indoctrinated with de-attached social assumption that to get to normal human congress takes a visual middle ground, for the guys, the body of an athlete.

Its a shame that I could only have ladies talk to me with the hell of extreme work. Based on this I asked several girls (quite a few more than I realise) and they said something about women having to wear make-up and dress nice, not funny but that doesn't hurt.
(quick rant now) I hear a lot of ladies also say they look for personality but they forget how they found out, they were attracted by a look or assumption based on look. I test this by wearing different types of clothes (usually more relaxed in aesthetic such as sweat pants for example) or covering my body shape, the results are instant and disheartening. Even though I act and say the same things, the image plays a massive role even with the most intelligent of ladies.
This may sound very bitter but I have been several body types and through them all my intelligence had no genuine factor, it was the look and function that prevailed every time in all level of opposite sex interaction. As well I have tried different guises to test my theories, the only one to get positive result was acting either nasty or cocky, in this world the nice guy does finish last or not at all.

Those boys in the film told of their ridicule which drove them to such things, this is so wide spread, I'm sure several of the fitter guys on here have either had ridicule or a negativity to drive that need to change.

As the world get more and more obsessed with de-attachment from reality this problem will worsen in my opinion.

Great topic [MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION]. It's weird, I never really thought about guys going through similar body issues that women do. It's a bit of an eyeopener.

I also find it a little strange that they think that it's what women want, especially when so many women interviewed stated they liked exactly the opposite. Myself included.

This... is the BEST post ever.:m054:

+ infinity

It is easier to turn eyes outward than inward.

That's a good documentary. Kinda sad though to see how naive those kids are. All that shit they're dumping into their systems is so unnecessary.

I suspect body issues are difficult for many people because they know there's truth within them. A beautiful, charismatic girl is always going to get more attention than an overweight, shy one. Same thing for males too. But you can't entirely blame it on superficiality or social standards because we see the very same biases directed at us within our very selves. I mean, those same overweight shy kids probably sat around in their bedrooms pining after the attractive folks more than longing for the others who look like them. They know the truth of human desire cause they see it in themselves.

Moreover, we're still hardwired to find lean, fit people attractive. 10,000 years ago this was more of the norm because of how physically active we were. Life was demanding - you got up and moved. Ran. Hunted. Fished. Foraged. Built. But you didn't have a huge caloric surplus from refined foods and nutritiousness dogshit to fill you out so most people were probably quite lean and muscular. But that puts us at odds with who we are today where most of us aren't even 5% as active at our ancestors but eat probably three times the amount of food. A lot of us are fucking fat and unattractive because of it.

That's why I'm not a fan of "body acceptance" but rather becoming health literate (including nutritional information) and pro-exercise. Don't blame others for being human - take care of yourself.

Reactions: endersgone