Should the purpose of argument ultimately be to reach an agreement? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Should the purpose of argument ultimately be to reach an agreement?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Gaze, Dec 5, 2014.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Gaze
  1. OP
    Gaze

    Gaze My word . . . hmm
    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,373
    Messages:
    27,928
    Featured Threads:
    91
    Likes Received:
    19,699
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    .
    No, I likely misunderstood. Thanks you for responding! :) Great comments.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. muir

    Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    Threads:
    39
    Messages:
    11,092
    Likes Received:
    1,238
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    People are entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts

    if someone shoots out an uninformed opinion that defies the facts then i think it should be contested

    If someone has spent a lot of time looking at the facts and makes an informed statement then the wise listen to it and the wise want to listen to it
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    Gaze

    Gaze My word . . . hmm
    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,373
    Messages:
    27,928
    Featured Threads:
    91
    Likes Received:
    19,699
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    .
    I don't think an agreement has to be reached but I think it helps to understand the other side's before going at it. :D There seems to be a tendency to be very dismissive of other people's argument in search of the truth. If something doesn't seem to fit with what someone already believes or feels is true, it's immediately discredited to make way for a more sympathetic or preferred view. If a position challenges what someone feels or believes, it's thrown aside as irrelevant or inadequate. So, the nature of debate seems directly tied to the reasoning and approach of each person in the argument, their intent, actual progression of the argument, expected outcomes, and the resolution which may not be a resolution at all. Each person comes with their own baggage to the table and believes they are right, and may not realize their own baggage is holding them back from seeing other sides or angles. If the goal is to get to the truth, there has to be some self awareness and the recognition that this baggage exists and may color they view of their opponent's argument.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #23 Gaze, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  4. Delta

    Delta Community Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2014
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    538
    Likes Received:
    67
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I would say that it is not possible to reach an agreement all the time anyway. Recognising such times isn't rocket science. I am happy to let people have their views and I don't believe that a person has to have a well formed argument to be interesting. So, I guess I see things more as problem solving than debating. The art of problem solving is to be able to address multiple points at point a and point b but ideally to be at point c. Most people's self esteem is wasted at point a when they debate and so I find them boring. A person who can outline the points is more valuable in my eyes because people are going to do whatever they choose to do anyway. Thinking of clients here.

    At the level of group consciousness, I find that those who debate are doing so for the benefit of the group; they flow with existing ideals of intelligence etc. I am wary of group consciousness, it's all a bit Darwinian for me. Most don't even know the full title of his most well known theory.

    So, I recognise some people need to argue because their self esteem is locked into the schedule of getting from point a to point c but logically, I value the process itself and understand some can arrive at point c quicker and so see most things as problem solving techniques. This probably is a means of picking suitable friendships too. One has to be open and have similar patterns of problem solving to get along.

    Debating is a means I think of remaining detatched. I'm not sure how healthy that is. I will muse on this later. Thanks [MENTION=4115]Lark[/MENTION] for your points especially x
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Lark

    Lark Rothchildian Agent

    Joined:
    May 9, 2011
    Threads:
    255
    Messages:
    2,220
    Likes Received:
    117
    Trophy Points:
    245
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    9
    I dont know that debating deserves the bad reputation it has, I understand that it is possibly inferior to discussion or dialogue, I actually accept that and there's some good books written about it and how this development and framing was pretty important to a lot of changes in academic research findings because without a dialogue paradigm people just sought to adopt and defend positions, becoming emotionally invested in the process, most of the time never realising that its not A or B but really C which is important.

    On the other hand debating can be fun and it can be sport, if you lose at least you dont have to the lose the lesson, even if its just the simple lesson that you cant be expected to win all the time (and eventually maybe that win-lose doesnt benefit the cause of truth seeking at all).

    A lot of light has been cast upon discussion, of every single sort there can be, for me by studying psycho-analysis, both the school of thought itself and the better criticisms of it, there is a lot of defensiveness and resistance to insight in much discussion, if not the most of it. I'm not being conceited about this because I have recognised it in myself sometimes, with the decline and disappearence of socialism and all the history associated with that.

    I really do believe that the whole of mankind is more rationalising than rational, there is so much which is affect and emotion driven, I am a thinker and prefer that function set but I do think that a lot of cognitivism and other schools of thought exaggerate the extent to which thinking can or does prevail. I also dont think that emoting and unacknowledged affect driven arguments are anything to be necessarily ashamed of, nothing human should be foreign to anyone, but they can be obsticles.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. OP
    Gaze

    Gaze My word . . . hmm
    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,373
    Messages:
    27,928
    Featured Threads:
    91
    Likes Received:
    19,699
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    .
    Different things appeal to people in argument or debate. The idea that argument has to be approached in the same way by everyone involved can limit the potential for learning from differences. Usually when there is a heated discuss, although people can learn a heap, it makes it difficult to reason fairly because it becomes about emotion. However, cold rational approaches can also be a turn off for some. Someone who communicates with feeling and passion about what they believe, even if they're being irrational, and that can be more interesting than someone who is being very logical and objective.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. La Sagna

    La Sagna Trying to become a butterfly

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2013
    Threads:
    85
    Messages:
    5,858
    Likes Received:
    1,566
    Trophy Points:
    782
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9 with 1 wing
    I appreciate any good rhetorical argument whether I agree with it or not. It's an art form.

    I used to think that having an argument or discussion about something important was about proving your point to the other person. I realized over time that this is not at all the point of it because if it were then most arguments fail miserably and are a waste of time. Arguing any position or concept is about sharing ideas. If the people involved in the argument are not locked in to a blind and irrational bias to their position then they can pick up new ideas that may influence them in the future, even if they don't agree with them at the time. I am always wary of anybody who claims to know the 'truth' and be in a position to lecture someone else on that. That to me is a sign of someone who is narrow-minded and narcissistic. A rational but humble argument is worth so much more than the claim to absolute 'truth'.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Eventhorizon

    Eventhorizon Permanently relocated
    Banned

    Joined:
    May 19, 2013
    Threads:
    251
    Messages:
    16,553
    Featured Threads:
    31
    Likes Received:
    10,232
    Trophy Points:
    2,187
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    If I argue its because I feel that its worth it. My idea is that a common understanding is achieved and a solution can be born of that understanding that is compatible with all of the relevant parties involved.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Matt3737

    Matt3737 Similes are like songs in love.

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2011
    Threads:
    48
    Messages:
    2,678
    Likes Received:
    1,271
    Trophy Points:
    792
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    It's the maintenance of equilibrium; social, mental, and emotional.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,483
    Likes Received:
    6,765
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    People can have all the facts they want but if they're using it to tell me what to do, it's still an opinion.

    Also:
    1. I'm not wise, I'm an idiot
    2. I know you're actually talking about yourself in the meta
     
    #30 sprinkles, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  11. Solongo

    Solongo Well-known member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    Threads:
    36
    Messages:
    2,090
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    425
    Trophy Points:
    230
    MBTI:
    INFJ all day
    Well it depends. Those who can release their need to be right all the time will have the potential to reach an agreement and ultimately understanding. But most people just want to be right and just want to express their ideas regardless of acceptance.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. muir

    Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    Threads:
    39
    Messages:
    11,092
    Likes Received:
    1,238
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    No one is telling you what to do in that scenario

    they are putting over information on the internet and you are then choosing to read it and get hot and bothered by it
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,483
    Likes Received:
    6,765
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    Ok you didn't get the subtle hint so now I have to make it obvious:

    STOP MAKING THIS BE ABOUT YOU
     
  14. muir

    Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    Threads:
    39
    Messages:
    11,092
    Likes Received:
    1,238
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Good idea...lets make it about you
    You said that you would argue with someone just because you felt they shouldn't be allowed to speak unchallenged but what kind of attitude is that?

    Surely what matters is whether or not you agree with the person?

    if you agree with someone why argue just for the sake of it?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. muir

    Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    Threads:
    39
    Messages:
    11,092
    Likes Received:
    1,238
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Why do you care who cares?

    if people want to read then let them read

    You'll know if people are reading because the thread will have lots of hits

    You don;t get to decide what people should listen to you only get to decide what YOU listen to

    Of course you can have a little tantrum though but it doesn't mean anyone will listen to you (people generally listen to things that interest them)

    If its interesting to people they will read it

    And what is interesting to people is upto them not you
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,483
    Likes Received:
    6,765
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    That is not what I intend.
    That is actually not what I said.

    No. Agreement means nothing.

    To test things and see if they stand up to scrutiny. To see if they really mean what they say. To see what their true motives are. To open up new possibilities for ideas which can't be possible if we're too attached to current ones. To break up complacent pet theories by introducing uncertainty so that the idea is constantly evaluated and reformed.
     
  17. muir

    Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    Threads:
    39
    Messages:
    11,092
    Likes Received:
    1,238
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I disagree with you

    I'm not so interested in pissing all over the person (although ill defend myself when others strike)

    I'm interested in finding out if the information being put over is true or not

    A lot of people seem to think that their opinion matters...it doesn't

    What matters is how strong a foundation their opinion is a built upon
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,392
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,727
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Agree that im right.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,483
    Likes Received:
    6,765
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    [MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION]

    Whatever. This is pointless with you as usual. I'll let the meta handle this.
     
  20. muir

    Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    Threads:
    39
    Messages:
    11,092
    Likes Received:
    1,238
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Yeah i think ive wasted enough time here
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page