Should philosophy be easy to understand? | Page 11 | INFJ Forum

Should philosophy be easy to understand?

I agree, Heidegger is a terrible idea for an introduction to the field... I think that as far as introductions go, it's better to go for a more "academic" philosopher in style (even if ironically, Heidegger was a giant in academia and very concerned throughout his life with being and remaining so). Some of Gilles Deleuze's works about other philosophers (Spinoza, Nietzsche, Kant, Leibniz, etc.) are quite clear and precise. His own works, not so much ^^

Otherwise I like to recommend Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy or the articles from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Oh and if you enjoy Camus, you might enjoy Kierkegaard! He's quite fun to read.
I adore Russell as well. I’ve never read any Kierkegaard though, I’ll check him out!

I adore Russell as well. I’ve never read any Kierkegaard though, I’ll check him out!

Yay! I suggest Either/Or or Fear and Trembling. Elliott Smith named his album after Kierkegaard’s book :) He’s kind of the father of Existentialism and one of the most profound in my opinion.

Use Allegory. Makes philosophical inquiry both demonstrable and more memorable.(aka. Plato's "Cave")

That's great advice. Even having some perhaps denser parts accompanied by allegories or even analogies for illustration, would work out quite well I think.

There's a French philosopher called Henri Bergson whose work I don't know very well, but who is apparently great at this.

That's great advice. Even having some perhaps denser parts accompanied by allegories or even analogies for illustration, would work out quite well I think.

There's a French philosopher called Henri Bergson whose work I don't know very well, but who is apparently great at this.
John Searle is great at this, too. It adds some sense of the fable.

Alain de Botton's popular stuff is of course packed with it, as well.

After going through 4 years of philosophy in college, my answer is no. I had to trudge through "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", so everyone else should have to suffer with me.

After going through 4 years of philosophy in college, my answer is no. I had to trudge through "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", so everyone else should have to suffer with me.

What was the stuff that you enjoyed the most in the course of those four years? I'd love to hear more about your experience studying philosophy.

It's funny that you mentioned Thus Spoke... because in a way, it's an entirely non-technical work. But I suppose it's not easy to understand or at least not in a straightforward manner.

I should add that it is the allegorical work par excellence — since we were talking about allegory.

Lots of people!

For example, any canonized person or person(s) in the process of being canonized.

But you've got to be Catholic.
Do you have a favourite saint?

Reactions: Pin