MartinL

Four
Oct 30, 2012
MBTI
INXJ
Enneagram
unknown
Hello fellow INFJs.
I recently think a lot about what to do in life. Currently I'm studying computer science (3rd semester). I'm doing "ok". My grades aren't that great (like 2,9 but thats average and I know that I should have done more).
The issue I see is that while I would get my bachelor (and probably with a <2,5 grade) I just don't feel motivated. Computer science just isn't my passion. I could imagine finding a corner topic like game design and finding a fulfilling job there. Just most of the stuff is too "hard logic" for me and while I can comprehend it with enough work, it feels draining. I have to do a job 5 days a week, so I want one who is really fulfilling - something were my skills and interests overlap. So I'm thinking about studying psychology, I think I have the necessary skills for it and it seems to be very interesting - at least interesting enough that I read some books as hobby about it although my parents told me the last 10 years how they dislike psychology.
Does anyone have some advice/experience for me?

Depends on how far you are in your program. I would check out how far back it would take you to change majors before you make the decision. You should also check to see what will be required to finish a degree in psychology too. Be realistic about what you can accomplish and know your educational strengths and weaknesses. I would imagine that if you are doing so-so in computer science you would probably find a medical based degree much harder. Seems like you need to learn how to focus and do better in school more than anything. Higher education is supposed to be hard, you have to work for a degree.

A mild case of "I don't know what I want to do" is common for 20 somethings though. You are at a point where you are doing a lot of growing up and deciding on what kind of person you want to be.

several things:

1. Regardless of your parent's opinions, it's your education, and your career. (if they're paying for it, the lines might be blurred some though)
  2. Why did you choose Comp. Sci? Though about related ones such as IT/IS if you want to get into tech?
  3. Why psych (as opposed to other fields)?
  4. How is the job market for psych majors? Will you have to pursue graduate (likely) and possibly PhD work?
  5. How many credits will you lose switching majors?
etc.

ultimately, it's your decision. Think it over well.

Just to add:
My strengths are:
-building huge thought systems -> many ideas interconnected with each other, these "systems" aren't 100% logical (not 1-0, true-false, you can shift parts of it, "unlogical" stuff like dream logic in inception can be understood that way, but also logical stuff like math (just takes more time))
-seeing connections between all kinds of things
-seeing stuff from many perspectives (including trying to see something from another persons point of view)
-good intuition for most situations, including stuff like sleeping over a problem and knowing the solution next day
-noticing others feelings
-big picture thinking (however there can be issues for me with details -> especially if I think the details are unimportant, like I hate learning senseless stuff)

I chose computer science, because I liked programming in school and problem solving. I weren't sure about it, I considered different subjects. Also I chose it, because my parents approved it and I was able to stay at home (-> "comfortable"). Here in Germany we have no minor/major/credits whatever system (at least its not called that way). I could freely change my subject without any issue. Only issue could be the nc of psychology, but that should be fine for me if I apply at enough universities.

Reactions: rawr
Just to add:
My strengths are:
-building huge thought systems -> many ideas interconnected with each other, these "systems" aren't 100% logical (not 1-0, true-false, you can shift parts of it, "unlogical" stuff like dream logic in inception can be understood that way, but also logical stuff like math (just takes more time))
-seeing connections between all kinds of things
-seeing stuff from many perspectives (including trying to see something from another persons point of view)
-good intuition for most situations, including stuff like sleeping over a problem and knowing the solution next day
-noticing others feelings
-big picture thinking (however there can be issues for me with details -> especially if I think the details are unimportant, like I hate learning senseless stuff)

BTW you just described a typical INFJ.

On the topic, it is all your choice what you want to do with your life, so I suggest to you not to ask anyone about what to do with it. I also picked psychology and I did not ask anyone wether it was right or wrong. If you see the world trough the lens of psychology, why not becoming a psychologist.

Last edited:
1. Go speak with a career counsellor if you can. Perhaps there are jobs with your background that are "alternative" kinds of jobs for your specialty that you'd enjoy instead of what you think you're going to have to do.

2. how sure are you that you would enjoy psychology? have you taken a course? what do you want to do with psychology?

3. are you sure psychology is the best option for your interests and skills? have you researched this closely? speak to a career counsellor/academic advisor about this, as well.

4. Speak to someone who can fill you in on how far a degree change would set you back, if at all. depending on what you wish to do, perhaps it would be altogether easier to do a graduate or professional program in the area of psychology. most programs don't allow this without an undergrad b.a. hons in psych (at least in Canada) but there are sometimes somewhat flexible ways to adjust to this. sometimse all you need area couple of prerequisites that you can do in the span of a year, which might be shorter than doing a cpl years' worth of an undergrad. instead, these cpl years could be dedicated to a graduate degree, which has its own benefits.

5. If you decide to switch your major, especially if people give you flack about it, the way I think of it is that an extra four years, or an extra x amount of money is nothing when you put it in the context of the big picture (assuming that the education is indeed an investment and will yield positive rewards). People may see starting-over as a waste, but it's not worth (imo) spending a lifetim being unhappy. 4 years (or less!) of new education vs. 30+ years of unfulfilling/unsatisfying work? no brainer, right?

best of luck! remember to stay informed, connect with resources, and use your heart in concert with your mind!

I'd stick with the computer science degree. In my experience, psych grads don't have many options. Also, learning computer science in college is likely to be significantly different to practicing it in the workplace.

I'd stick with the computer science degree. In my experience, psych grads don't have many options. Also, learning computer science in college is likely to be significantly different to practicing it in the workplace.

This could certainly be the case!
Do you know any computer scientists you could speak to about their jobs? If not, perhaps doing an information interview could be good. Again, I suggest speaking with a career counsellor or advisor. Might help!

Look into career options for that field.
Would you want to counsel or do research?

I'm in medical school aspiring to become a psychiatrist. I think mental health is a great field for INFJ. I've been through surgery, internal medicine, pediatrics, etc. and nothing intrigues me more than the mind turned on itself.

Reactions: subwayrider
Hello fellow INFJs.
I recently think a lot about what to do in life. Currently I'm studying computer science (3rd semester). I'm doing "ok". My grades aren't that great (like 2,9 but thats average and I know that I should have done more).
The issue I see is that while I would get my bachelor (and probably with a <2,5 grade) I just don't feel motivated. Computer science just isn't my passion. I could imagine finding a corner topic like game design and finding a fulfilling job there. Just most of the stuff is too "hard logic" for me and while I can comprehend it with enough work, it feels draining. I have to do a job 5 days a week, so I want one who is really fulfilling - something were my skills and interests overlap. So I'm thinking about studying psychology, I think I have the necessary skills for it and it seems to be very interesting - at least interesting enough that I read some books as hobby about it although my parents told me the last 10 years how they dislike psychology.
Does anyone have some advice/experience for me?

Do what you love. You would probably much prefer a job where you were making a difference in the world (it says you're INFJ) than one where you were making tons of money (programmers make more money than almost ANYONE, if they market themselves well).

At least in the US, though, grad programs for psychology are amazingly difficult to get into, if only because of the sheer volume of applicants. I don't know if that's the case in Europe. For anyone reading this from the states, grad programs look for applicants who, not only have good grades and research experience, but who are an ideal fit for the program itself. You really have to decide early on what sub-field of psychology you're most interested in and do motivated undergrad research in that field, all before you apply.

I don't know how things are in Germany, but you should consider that doing something with a psychology degree might require advanced study. At least, in the U.S., it would require that. You would probably have to get a masters degree in social work in order to counsel people, and social work can be very demanding in its own way. Or you would have to get a doctorate degree.