Serious drama between former roomates, no clue what to do

KorJax

Community Member
Aug 27, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
?
Okay so quick background between my roomates (who were fiance's), who both sync up with similar interests pretty well.

Roomate #1:

I roomate currently with my older sister (she's 22yrs). Her personatlity is probably ESFJ or ENFJ - I'm not too sure. She is definably extroverted and loves having company over. She used to be an artist but decided to switch to math and science because she hated how pretentious art was in school, and loves science/finds it fascinating. So obviously, she is extremely opinionated about things. This makes me think she's a T on the surface, but she is EXTREMELY people oriented in her personal non-school/career life, and it is increadibly easy for her to get emotional (she takes anti-anxiety meds now to help, especially in light of the situation). She is quick to judge other people and go off on wild speculations about other's motives (mostly judgemental and non-reasoned in all conditions, which makes the situation 10x worse). Generally orderly, likes to be efficent, easily caught up in superficial details.

Roomate #2

He is currently not living with us, but was as of last month. He's been a fiancee to my older sis for over a year now (they agreed to finish school before getting married), and is about 30 years old. They had been together for about 4-5 years and connected EXTREMELY well, in the "perfect couple" sense. I'm going to guess he's an ESTP, or an ESFP (I'm not so good at telling this stuff). Generally likes to help people or be around them much like my sister, does NOT appear to be very logically minded in the slightest bit. However he's not much for emotion or the arts either, so that's why I think he's a T. Anyways, he liked to be good company and was studying psychology/social worker. Extremely spontanously minded, has a terrible sense of judgement and direction (both literally and figuratively). Never cleans up after himself, and doesn't understand me and my sister's efficency mindedness (i.e. he said he'd rather take a well known route to get somewhere even if he knows it takes longer). At the same time though, he has strong work ethics (or atleast used to before this mess) and MUST be punctual to everything. Very hard for me to pinpoint a MBTI, though I don't know as much about it as some of you folks.

The problem

Recently he's out of the blue decided that he doesn't want to be a fiancee anymore and moved out, while dropping out of classes (is living with a friend of ours now). This is pretty surprising because my sis and him have been together for a while now and were known to be such a great syncing couple who practiced strong communication.

He's putting on this facade of reason when it's pretty much painfully obvious from our friends and me that he's been acting really weird overall - generally going to underage drinking parties (he's 30...) when he never liked those traditionally, being a massive jerk/douche to other people (IMO to validate himself), wanting to grow out his beard so he gets sacked at his assistant manager job and just trying to force spontenaity in his life to everyone. The only people who are really being okay with this are those who are not wanting to get involved and generally acting pretty shallow twoards the whole situation in leu of their own personal lives.

An example was that he had dinner with his parents today. He's an atheiest and they are religious, but he's always been pretty good at respecting other's. However I heard from them that he acted like a massive douche, and kept basically giving himself self-entitlement pro-atheiest statements, causing his own mother to get up and walk away from the dinner (who has been pretty supportive of him and vice versa traditionally).

So basically, I figure (and so does every involved memeber in this) that he's going through a SERIOUS mid-life crisis.

My sister is obviously extremely emotionally unstable. This is probably the 10th time this month she's had a panic attack, and now that roomate #2 has decided to call her up and call her out on why she isn't being "supportive of her friends" (who are the people who I mentioned that are not getting involved and acting shallow twoards the situation) she's been crying for hours despite being on anti-anxiety meds on top of the regular stuff she already has been taking from her psychiatrist for years.

She's super judgemental of anyone who isn't 100% in support of her, and anyone who isn't 100% in support of their relationship. With a HEAVY side of emotion and rejecting reason... that doesn't align with her own quick-to-judge reasoning.

He's suddenly out of the blue been acting pretty conceited, selfish, and completely unaware of other people on a serious level, but still is deeply tied/involved with them. He's also acting like a douche most people that don't agree with him (ties in with concieted and selfish). Is only assocating with people who are 100% avoiding being involved (despite them being "good friends") and acting shallowly unaware of any problem.

Uhh... what about me?

I am, being their "roomate" obviously TRAPPED in the middle of this. I deeply care for my sister but I can't handle too much more of this and it is seriously wearing my psyche down, especailly since I am introverted and she is wanting constant reaffrimations and attention from me (this has been going on for a month mind you).

She doesn't really "process" what I say on a serious level because next time rommate #2 comes up in any kind of conversation or thought she instantly goes back to her pre-established judgments which ususally ends up going into another emotional breakdown (which while I can empathize... gets really really old after a month of this constantly...).

I have NO idea what I can do. I fear for my own mental stability because I hate this constant drama and conflict but there is nothing I can do and I can't walk away from it because she is my sister (and my roomate). And I don't want to walk away from it, but at the same time I wish this wasn't going on. I start to dread coming home from work only to hear the latest thoughts about Rommate #2, and opinons on X, X and X that she needs re-affirmed.

I feel like I have no voice and no ability to really do anything, which hits me with an insecurity that I've had running deep in me since I was young. I want to help and be able to say something to "get things right" but I dont' have enough experience with these things to really know what to do or what to say.

Any help? If there is any to give. This long post was kind of me venting, and kind of me asking for advice on what I should do since I can't really talk to anyone about this. I apologize if I sound rather selfishly minded but I hope it shows that I'm simply worn out and mentally exhausted from dealing with this day-to-day on top of work and school obligations...

Last edited:
Aw, vent away. Better out than in.

Unless you can share how you're feeling with her and you think she'll be receptive (which it sounds like she might not be or might not be in a place to be), is there anywhere you can regularly go where you can be at peace so you don't have to spend as much time at home for the time being until your sister has worked through some of her feelings? It's clear this situation is taking a heavy toll on you. I can only imagine how you might be feeling after a month.

If you need to, would it be possible to set limits with your sister as to needing quiet time? As much as she's hurting, you have boundaries and needs that need to be respected.

Also, does she have other friends she can turn to and does she go out a lot? If not, perhaps encouraging her to go out might do you both some good.

Last edited:
you just gotta endure

dont fret about it

things could be worse

bake some cookies for your sis and tell her it is time to move on

give her a type test... it'll be a good distraction and maybe help her understand herself

then you must proceed to remove your self emotionally from this situation

the cookies are essential

Reactions: Bird
Stop. Stop now.

I feel like I have no voice and no ability to really do anything, which hits me with an insecurity that I've had running deep in me since I was young. I want to help and be able to say something to "get things right" but I dont' have enough experience with these things to really know what to do or what to say.

This here is an excuse.
You will never have experience in this situation
unless you start acting now. That is how one
gains experience, is it not?

You do have a voice. You do have the ability. You
just don't want to hurt your sister anymore than she's
already hurting. Unfortunately if you want her to move
on anytime soon, you're going to have to hurt her a
little. Personally, if I were ever like this I hope someone
would tell me to stop behaving in a pathetic manner. To
get myself together. There is more to life than one person.
Suggest to her she write all her anger at him down or take
up some sort of hobby like running of kick-boxing. Something
physical to wear herself down. To help keep her calm.

I think honesty is best.
You're not communicating your feelings to your sister, which
is exactly where she and her fiance went wrong (or else she'd
probably have known beforehand he was leaving). Just let
her know. If you're not sure how to say it try writing it down
a few times first. And then if the time comes, if you can't
bring yourself to say it, write it down and let her read it.

Thanks for the comments guys. It's hard for me to be around friends since 99% of friend I had were mutual between all three of us, and most people just don't want to get involved at all which is understandable.

And Bird, honestly I am pretty close to getting to the point where I am going call her out on how she's behaving and I guess writing this post is a way for me to vent and be sure that is something I want to do. But I feel like I won't help much because she's always been pretty emotional, and ALWAYS been very opinionated about things to the point of not having an open mind at all. So this isn't abnormal behavior, but the frequency and intensity of it is.

On her part though she has taken up some hobbies, such as knitting, getting back into painting, and watching a TV series she really likes (she never watches TV). Most of her friends were mutual with roomate #2, so she only has people outside of state she can call (which she has been, a lot), and one or two friends who have decided to be supportive and active in the mess. Obviously though due to our busy school and work scedules there isn't much time to really do anything (this is personally my only day off from work and school all day all week and I need to spend it getting my car fixed and doing homework to avoid getting behind on my major project work).

Next time a breakdown happens I'll have to try and call her out on it, even though I know she'll take it in a "not even my own brother supports me anymore, I MUST BE COMPLETELY INSANE TO EVERYONE" way... maybe if I work on my delivery this won't be the case though.

Last edited:
Whew. Drama sucks. :(

That being said, there is a point where you need to protect yourself. She's your sister, but she can't be your life, and you can't be her savior. Tell her that you love her, but she needs to take advantage of a counselor right now - not her little brother. She needs to get straight, and you're too close to the situation to give her helpful and/or objective advice right now.

Second (I know it may not seem feasible), but you need your own space. Even if you have to stay overnight at a friends' house a few days a week, just to have peace, I'd say do it. Otherwise you'll get sucked down into depression right along with the rest. It's too much, and you've got to find your own outlet. You have to protect your emotional state, somehow. I can't tell you how, because that's your decision to make. I can only tell you that it's not easy.

Third, has anyone tried talking to the other roommate when he's not acting crazy? Invite him for coffee sometime, and just see how he's doing. Don't accuse him of anything - just say you're thinking about him and you hope he's doing well. Maybe he'll reveal something to you that he's been holding inside. No one usually just "snaps" for no reason. Something lead up to this. My guess is he's fearful of 1. Getting older 2. Getting married because it's expected (and he's not sure if he wants marriage). He needs to be validated and released from the expectation, but your sister will have to do that. She needs to tell him that it's okay if they don't get married for a while, if that's one of the issues he's dealing with.

This sounds like a midlife crisis.

I was dating an ESTP who could be a real douchebag. He has since turned his life around by moving to Australia and getting a new job and new circle of friends. He was rejected by a 'fiance' from his past and this gave him major trust and insecurities and a hatred for women, imo. He would drag his friends out for nights on the town, partying like he was 22 or something (he's 33). This was all because he lost his job at a bank here and was unemployed for 6 months. Before then, he'd been living in the past, I think. Trying to please his family and himself and his friends, ALWAYS trying so hard to impress and show people how great he was. I digress...

Anyways, it sounds like the situation at hand is one where the guy is running away from responsibilities that he's not ready to face with someone who is becoming distraught by his distance and lack of committment. I would say as painful as it is, she and he are probably not meant for the long haul. She will just be hurt by his flippant behaviour if she tries to turn him around, and she can't turn him around cause he's a bit far gone, it sounds. Best thing, cut him loose, and regroup. Might be a fresh, deserved start for the two of them.

I think that sometimes people work really hard at failure. Perhaps your sister's bfriend isn't very good at expressing his needs and reached a point where he felt overwhelmed. Super responsible people tend to explode in the manner you described. It is a very dysfunctional way of saying "things are NOT going well for me". As for your sister, I wouldn't be surprised if she is crying about this only a month later. I suggest you continue to vent to others but realize this is her way of coping with what is going on. You can't fix it. Perhaps that is where you are feeling so upset. When I helped my sister thru her divorce, all she needed was someone to listen. That is your help, that is your fix. Your sister and her bfriend will have to do all the hard stuff. I second the cookie suggestion and recommend you be a loving sib and just listen for now. PS I would also suggest you NOT bad mouth the bfriend. They might get back together and you will end up in an awkward position.