Self Awareness - What does it mean to you? | INFJ Forum

Self Awareness - What does it mean to you?

#@&5&49

Mar 4, 2012
MBTI
Inf?
I have been thinking about self awareness. What it means to me and what it means to other people. I asked several people what their definition of self awareness was and I found that everyone seems to define self awareness differently. I was wondering if anyone would care to share what self awareness means to them.

Reactions: Quiet
I hope this makes sense, I feel kind of ramble-y...

Self awareness to me, is more of a conscious effort than anything. I don't believe that in general people can just BE completely self aware at all times, the ego gets in the way too much. But you can make an effort to evaluate why you react to certain things the way you do, even if you can't always see it in the moment. I guess I could define it as an effort to understand yourself on a deeper level rather than just accepting your thoughts, actions, and reactions at a face value and not questioning them. Someone who questions those things, to me, is making an effort to be self aware. A person who does not do this regularly, in my opinion, would not be very self aware.

Understanding and being able to alter my own mechanics and motivations, in a nutshell.

I've heard recently our mind is only about 5% conscious thought and about 95% subconscious. To me that says I am acting and behaving largely from my subconscious mind a great deal of the time. And it isn't always pretty.... meh. :eek:hwell:

My practice is to become more and more aware of my subconscious by observing my actions/behaviors/motivations. The more I uncover up from the subconscious - the more I see what kind of hold it has on me. Sometimes what I bring up transforms or lossens it's hold and becomes more flexible. There is much power there and I'd rather use it for my conscious actions than it be hidden away and triggered whether I want it to or not.
Like [MENTION=3240]Jill Hives[/MENTION] says - this is the Ego. In Enlightenment - the goal is to be able to act completely from the non Ego state.

I've got a long way to go....

Reactions: barbad0s
Being able to tell whether the gut reactions/feelings which are the result of external/internal stimuli are well placed (accurate)(rational). Having the strength not to act on intense emotions. Caring for the mind/body, not violating one's own moral code. Not becoming subservient to the needs of others, being conscious of your own errors and suspending pride, admitting you were wrong.

To me it means you have an idea that you exist, that you effect your environment, that you can intervene, that you have a choice.

I think animals are a good conversation: at what point is an animal self aware? Dogs seem to recognize their owners. They will protect you, give their lives for you, will find help and bring it back to you. I have been there to see it and they seem about as conscious to me as anything There is a lot of conscious thought there.

So let's say we accept a dog can be self aware. Well then where does this go.
Are cats. I'm pretty sure they are.

But at some point there is something that is living that isn't self aware, that consciously says I want to stand here because I am more comfortable in the sun than over there in the shade. But is this an auto response sort of action. A tendency to go by warmth and actually has nothing to do with a conscious decision?

Where is the line. When does it go from a bunch of cell-growth to a life to self aware. Is it just a few synapses or connections and the lights go on.

Great topic

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1xlfz0

A self-perpetuating feedback loop.

Understanding my habits and behavioral tendencies in different scenarios and around different people, knowing my audience, catering my actions and general behavior to these different scenarios as per social norms - especially to get me to where I need if the self-awareness is within the context of the workplace.

That I recognize certain things about myself. Is that vague enough?

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think self awareness, is being self conscious about myself which makes me uncomfortable around people I don't know.