Self-Actualization | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Self-Actualization

it's a process, a never ending process.
Life and growth is indeed a process that we never finish with, but I do think, according to the trait observations in the original post that a person can reach a basic, realistic level of self-actualization. Frankly, I fit all of the traits they listed, so am I self-actualized? I guess. It's no big deal, it's partly a matter of maturity and growth and coming to some comfort level with our life and the things that make us (and others) unique. Am I finished growing? No way!!! In this case a self-actualized person simply continues the growth process just like anybody else....they would simply exhibit certain types of traits. It is a good think, but self-actualization is not the same as fully-enlightened. From a clinical perspective, I think the former does happen. The latter is more of a never ending process.

First, great thread, and I'm so glad I found this forum! :)
Do you think true self-actualization is possible?
I think it is, but knowing myself I think that at any given moment of my life if someone asked me if I am self-actualized person I'd say "no" and I think that relevant answer about that can be obtained only when I'm dead and then I won't be asking myself anything. :)
Is the pursuit of self-actualization a worthy goal?
Yes! And I'd say that INFJs are the ones who have tendency to pursuit such goal built in themselves from the start and I'd go further and say that maybe in comparison to some other types they have a head start in that pursuit, but only that.
Why or why not?
Because I don't think that life has any meaning if we don't insist on living to our full potential. But that just me. :)
What are the obstacles today which make it difficult to self-actualize?
Not thinking about ourselves and others, thinking that we are better, smarter, that we can exist by ourselves, self-pity, insisting on not changing social norms,... I could go on for days about this, I better stop. :)

This is what I've been looking for.

I remember studying about it years ago, but I think time has shown me the importance of it.

I like this path. I think I'll take it.

Reactions: Gaze
Hey I know this is an old thread but i figured it'd be worth a try. I MADE IT! After years of counseling and pain and joy and all the other crap about three weeks ago I had my first peak experience (couple smaller since) and my counselor believes I am on the way. Already old stuff seems unimportant, I feel a lot more peace and less fear and this is wonderful.

Hey I know this is an old thread but i figured it'd be worth a try. I MADE IT! After years of counseling and pain and joy and all the other crap about three weeks ago I had my first peak experience (couple smaller since) and my counselor believes I am on the way. Already old stuff seems unimportant, I feel a lot more peace and less fear and this is wonderful.

Isn't it great when you finally hit that point and it's like a whole world opens up that you never even knew was there?

Isn't it great when you finally hit that point and it's like a whole world opens up that you never even knew was there?

Unbelievable-or I guess not lol. If somebody told me years ago about some of this stuff I probably would have looked at them a bit funny. Isn't that funny? I can hardly wait to see what happens next. Almost every day things are changing and my awareness seems to be expanding. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. Thank goodness for a safe place like this where people just get it!

btw I like your avatar.