Scientists say that Religion and Science can coexist | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Scientists say that Religion and Science can coexist

Richard Dawkins is a genius when it comes to evolutionary biology, but he has taken the "God Delusion" too far. In my view, he is no different than a religious fundamentalist; he is just an Anti-Religous Fundamentalist. I understand his concerns for religion, but is there is necessary need to take it as far as he has? If you were to go to Africa and tell all those starving children that there was no god, then they would lose all hope. Is crushing dreams really the best way?

Some people need religion to feel fulfilled, so why not let it be?

There are too many religions as it is, and there are too many wars caused by religion, but will atheism really save the world???

It isn't religion that causes individuals to do evil things, it's themselves.

New atheism is just anti-religious fundamentalism

It's no wonder why scientists are concerned for their reputation....

Interesting article

Religion coexisting with science sounds interesting!

Richard Dawkins? You mean the guy who cowardly refused to debate Dr. William Lane Craig at the sheldonian theater this month? I can't see how anyone can take anything that he says seriously. His statements appeal to the modern pop-culture of new atheism but anyone who has done their homework realizes that most of his arguments concerning God can be easily refuted against and have been. Nietzsche would be rolling in his grave. He should leave the philosophy to the philosophers and focus on the science behind evolution.

Reactions: Rasmus
Richard Dawkins? You mean the guy who cowardly refused to debate Dr. William Lane Craig at the sheldonian theater this month? I can't see how anyone can take anything that he says seriously. His statements appeal to the modern pop-culture of new atheism but anyone who has done their homework realizes that most of his arguments concerning God can be easily refuted against and have been. Nietzsche would be rolling in his grave. He should leave the philosophy to the philosophers and focus on the science behind evolution.

My point was that he needs to leave religion alone. He is an amazing evolutionary biologist, but he hasn't a good stand with the philisophical approach. Dr. William Lane Craig is probably one of the hardest Christian Philosophers to debate against, so I agree that Dawkins wouldn't have a chance.... I didn't know that Dawkins refused to debate him- that's funny haahaha

take care

lol some of the best doctors in the world are Muslims, are you trolling?...yet Muslims believe LGBT people are sinners and are committing evil acts against Allah, that sounds very scientific.

Yes, some of the best doctors in the world are Muslims, regardless of the irrelevant prejudices you can drum up.

Yes, some of the best doctors in the world are Muslims, regardless of the irrelevant prejudices you can drum up.

Correct, Muslims are for the most part extremely serious about health and cleanliness.

There was nothing prejudiced about my post, nothing what so ever, do you actually know what the word prejudiced means?

I was merely pointing out that someone can't be the best at something when they clearly ignore scientific evidence regardless of their skin colour or religious beliefs.

Can you point out my prejudiced statement please if not, then kindly refrain from slandering someone as prejudiced when they are clearly not.

But just to make sure you know what you're talking about;

Prejudiced - An adverse judgement or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prejudiced

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s
I used the word correctly. You might possibly be the most ignorant member I've ever met on these boards, and there's some tough competition in that category.

I used the word correctly. You might possibly be the most ignorant member I've ever met on these boards, and there's some tough competition in that category.

Indeed.

I find this entire topic kind of stupid. God himself said religion and science goes hand in hand. Many scientists I know (not know personally, mind you) that religion and science can go hand in hand. One of the main places we budge heads is evolution, and I guess perhaps stem cell research.

And, while this is my personal opinin, I'm all for scientific advancement in searching for whatever they want in terms of evolution, etc. Do what you gotta do. At the same time, I can definitely see where the conflict may come in, where if I teach my child that God created the earth, and the school teaches it was whatever... Then.. Who is right? Am I breeding ignorance? Or is the school system blowing -one- part of science way out of proportion? Its honestly a bit of both probably.

I don't really know why I wrote all that, I'm just bored right now.

Science can't prove or disprove the existence of God... yet.
I can't wait until time-travel is possible, so we can go back to when it all started, and see just who or what is behind existence.
Imagine going so far back in time that you skip the Big Bang/Creation altogether. What would that be like?

Science can't prove or disprove the existence of God... yet.
I can't wait until time-travel is possible, so we can go back to when it all started, and see just who or what is behind existence.
Imagine going so far back in time that you skip the Big Bang/Creation altogether. What would that be like?

Picture it going something like this:

*Invent Time Travel*

*Travel back to the begging of time*

You: why is it so dark out here

Voice: Let there be Light

You: ahhh!! to bright turn it off!! turn it off!!

God: Should of brought sunglasses, nobody thinks to bring sunglasses

*your eyes adjust to the light*

You: Wait, what do you mean "nobody thinks to bring sunglasses"

God: whenever you guys finally learn how to travel through time, the first place you wan to go is back to the begging.

You: So I'm not the only one to come here?

God: your not the only person here now, Steve and Bill got here about 30 second and 5 minutes before you respectively.

Steve: Hey

Bill: Hi

You:.....um hello, So your God?

God: Yes

You: and your creating the universe?

God: It appears so.

You: So whats next?

God: I'd figure I'll talk to myself for the next couple of days or so.

You: so your just going to talk to yourself? but you could create the rest of universe right now couldn't you.

God: I could

You: so why won't

God: Because it will take about six days before you leave

You: Oh yeah will see about that!

/six days later

You: So I turns out that I only had about six days worth of food.

God: Five and half, you didn't eat your first night here.

You: So I guess that means I have to go right.

*God Shrugs*

You: right...... I guess I'll see you later.

Reactions: subwayrider
Science and religion can't coexist, science and faith however can.

The main reason I say this is because the word religion refers mostly to tradition and dogma, it is the yamaka or the lighting of candles. Faith is just the belief.

This.

Plus:There is no competition between science and spirituality/faith. They rather complement one another. Science tries to approximate the perceived reality rationaly by excluding spirituality. So one needs spirituality to get the (full?!) picture.

Just my thoughts.

The way I see it:

471px-Venn_diagram_cmyk.svg.png

A = Religion
B = Science
C = Art

All three are necessary and while they may seem worlds apart there are obvious overlaps between the three seemingly incompatible fields.

The way I see it:

471px-Venn_diagram_cmyk.svg.png

A = Religion
B = Science
C = Art

All three are necessary and while they may seem worlds apart there are obvious overlaps between the three seemingly incompatible fields.

yikes i haven't seen a venn diagram since first year philosophy class!
now i'm gonna have nightmares again

as for religion and science co existing, they already do. not happily but they still both exist.
i see god and science as the same thing, just different avenues

yikes i haven't seen a venn diagram since first year philosophy class!
now i'm gonna have nightmares again

as for religion and science co existing, they already do. not happily but they still both exist.
i see god and science as the same thing, just different avenues

That's actually where I got the idea from. I had a really fun ENxP (unsure if he's an F or T) philosophy professor who would draw stuff like that. :smile:

That's actually where I got the idea from. I had a really fun ENxP (unsure if he's an F or T) philosophy professor who would draw stuff like that. :smile:

i had to present arguments in the form of venn diagrams in first year. i loved studying argument but hated doing the venns.

i had to present arguments in the form of venn diagrams in first year. i loved studying argument but hated doing the venns.

Yeah, I don't draw Venn Diagrams either because I'm not silly enough to come off as a total dork if I did draw them hahaha.

Reactions: JGirl
Both provide one with beliefs. They are a means to a spiritual end.

Both provide one with beliefs. They are a means to a spiritual end.

If science is providing beliefs you're doing it wrong. Science provides one with knowledge via evidence.

If science is providing beliefs you're doing it wrong. Science provides one with knowledge via evidence.

Good point, although that would preclude believing in what science works out :)

I.E., I believe we evolved from earlier forms of hominids based on the evidence I've seen and read. This certainty satisfies my curiosity. Should the evidence change and convince me otherwise, I will adjust the belief accordingly.

Science doesn't provide beliefs. Beliefs provide science in the form of theories and hypothesis to be tested. The methods used in science are dependent on skill which is perfected to an artform to support a belief. Hence science and religion can truly coexist.