School, A path to modern enslavement? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

School, A path to modern enslavement?

People who go to school have boring normal lives. I’m more about the big picture. Don’t take that the wrong way boring normal people. = )

Yeah there’s more to life than school, job, marriage, kids. But, there’s also more to those boring things than you may think.

This sounds more applicable to coming of age than school.

A lot of it is a hamster wheel, yes, but there’s a lot that isn’t. I don’t totally disagree with you, but you may be generalizing a bit more than is warranted. Teachers and parents who are passionate about their roles can make all the difference between drones and individuals.

Last edited:
I would actually argue the opposite.. education means freedom and a chance to make your life better, etc..
Your education is one of the only things that no one can ever take away from you.

Last edited:
so wait....youre saying that a one size fits all system might not fit a personality type that is just 1% of the population?

yeah i can sympathise with that!

I don't know, i can only speak for myself only, and not even other INFJ's. All i can say is it doesn't fit me.

Personality type is just one component, there are way more that make a person who he is.

I would actually argue the opposite.. education means freedom and a chance to make your life better, to live a better life, etc..
Your education is one of the only things that no one can ever take away from you.

Well in my case it's my own knowledge that "no one can ever take away from" me. I don't see how education is freedom, in my mind the more I know the insaner I get. I think in life it's maybe balance that really determines if your happy or crazy. Too much freedom or knowledge just will make you insane, just like too much of anything.

It's all about perspective and balance.

I don't know, i can only speak for myself only, and not even other INFJ's. All i can say is it doesn't fit me.

Personality type is just one component, there are way more that make a person who he is.

There is maybe a problem these days with people not being taught life skills

Education doesn't seem to want to skill people up and prepare them to contribute meaningfully in society as a net contributer

Education doesn't seem to want to skill people up and prepare them to contribute meaningfully in society as a net contributer

Education is preparing people to work in factories that will pump big money.

Go to your job, to pay for the house you only sleep in.
Go to your job, to pay for your gas for your car that you use to go to work.
Go to your job, to pay your bills and debt that you will never pay off.
Go to your job, to keep living like this.

Go go go, freedom is just around the corner!

Come on people is this really freedom? wake up! Please...

I've been thinking about this, I used to think it would be good if they'd teach some life skills on schools, but now I think the best teacher for that, would be probably life itself.

Life will beat you down, and only you can learn from it and get up again.

Physicians, engineers, nurses, scientists, etc.

These are educated people who have skills and meaningfully contribute to society.

With all due respect, what do you mean?

Sounds to me like anti-intellectualism.

Last edited:
Getting an education within the current system, and allowing the system to dictate your actions outside of your academic life are two different decisions. Both are within your control generally speaking. Usually people don't have the luxury of contemplating forgoing either of those choices for better ones because they don't have the time or resources to do so. On top of that, it takes a higher tolerance for risk to do anything outside the norm.

It's not really about being woke, it's about being privileged or just crazy/ballsy.

Getting an education within the current system, and allowing the system to dictate your actions outside of your academic life are two different decisions. Both are within your control generally speaking. Usually people don't have the luxury of contemplating forgoing either of those choices for better ones because they don't have the time or resources to do so. On top of that, it takes a higher tolerance for risk to do anything outside the norm.

It's not really about being woke, it's about being privileged or just crazy/ballsy.

School has changed since the 50's and some of the things the teach in schools are designed to frustrate children and make them give up or to put them in a little box... It hasn't always been this way... But change is the only constant in life...

This is an excerpt from the Wikipedia page on dumbing down:

EducationEdit
In the late 20th century, the proportion of young people attending university in the UK increased sharply, including many who previously would not have been considered to possess the appropriate scholastic aptitude. In 2003, the UK Minister for Universities, Margaret Hodge, criticised Mickey Mouse degrees as a negative consequence of universities dumbing down their courses to meet "the needs of the market": these are degrees conferred for studies in a field of endeavour "where the content is perhaps not as [intellectually] rigorous as one would expect, and where the degree, itself, may not have huge relevance in the labour market": thus, a university degree of slight intellectual substance, which the student earned by "simply stacking up numbers on Mickey Mouse courses, is not acceptable".[2][3]

In 2007 Wellington Grey, a high school physics instructor in London, published an Internet petition objecting to what he described as a dumbed-down curriculum. He wrote: "I am a physics teacher. Or, at least, I used to be"; and complained that "[Mathematical] calculations – the very soul of physics – are absent from the new General Certificate of Secondary Education."[4] Among the examples of dumbing-down that he provided were: "Question: Why would radio stations broadcast digital signals, rather than analogue signals? Answer: Can be processed by computer/ipod" to "Question: Why must we develop renewable energy sources?" (a political question).

In Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling (1991, 2002), John Taylor Gatto presented speeches and essays, including "The Psychopathic School", his acceptance speech for the 1990 New York City Teacher of the Year award, and "The Seven-Lesson Schoolteacher", his acceptance speech upon being named as the New York State Teacher of the Year for 1991.[5] Gatto writes that while he was hired to teach English and literature, he came to believe he was employed as part of a social engineering project. The "seven lessons" at the foundation of schooling were never explicitly stated, Gatto writes, but included teaching students that their self-worth depended on outside evaluation; that they were constantly ranked and supervised; and that they had no opportunities for privacy or solitude. Gatto speculated:

Was it possible, I had been hired, not to enlarge children's power, but to diminish it? That seemed crazy, on the face of it, but slowly, I began to realize that the bells and confinement, the crazy sequences, the age-segregation, the lack of privacy, the constant surveillance, and all the rest of the national curriculum of schooling were designed exactly as if someone had set out to prevent children from learning how to think, and act, to coax them into addiction and dependent behavior.[5]

In examining the seven lessons of teaching, Gatto concluded that "all of these lessons are prime training for permanent underclasses, people deprived forever of finding the center of their own special genius." That "school is a twelve-year jail sentence, where bad habits are the only curriculum truly learned. I teach school, and win awards doing it. I should know."[5]

Reactions: Infjente
Reactions: Infjente
Going to school is just an item to do to complete your objective or goals. But that's all it is, you take what you need to do what you want. I'm speaking strictly about school after grade 12. Before that, it's 90% indoctrination and 5% learning math, and 5% touching on languages or music, depending on where you are.

The goal of the well-rounded education is not to create greatness, but mediocrity. Students learn enough to earn placement in society and in "normal" blue and white collar jobs. Exceptional students rise through the cracks to places in better schools, for the top-tier jobs in law, medicine, and similar fields. Standardized testing makes this objective even more obvious. Students graduate knowing a little bit about a lot, and facts are omitted (especially in history) for a homogenized outcome. Of course students escape this and carve their own paths, but that is the will of the student, not the objective of the educational system.
If a student qualifies, they can go to high schools that focus on math and science, tech, or the arts. These options are usually only available in cities, and only for a select few students.

I don't believe in a well-rounded education. Students should begin with basics, yes, but individuals and society would do better if students could focus on their strengths at an earlier age. Greatness comes from focus, practice, and in-depth learning, not puttering around the edges of topics. It is easy for me to see this in the arts, because the "greats" began apprenticeships at the "elementary school" age, and focused on these skills until they surpassed the master painters teaching them. There are plenty of avenues for learning advanced mathematics from the artist's point of view, so it isn't like students in arts programs would not learn math. They would simply learn math that would be useful for them, like geometry and calculus.

Imagine a society where everyone got to focus on their strengths from an earlier age. Unfortunately for someone, barely anyone would be fit for the sheepish roles we've been trained for, though. Currently, students have to make a personal effort to focus on their interests, and this is often done outside of school, for extra credit, or for the rare moments when they're allowed to choose topics for papers.

Obviously, we are better off with an education system than we would be without anything, or with only elementary school, and it does give us more opportunity than we had without it, but there is no reason that the education system should stagnate. Its current form was designed to create sheep, not greatness.

What grade are you talking about? High school? College? I hated high school, for all the same reason everyone else hates high school, but I never blamed the material I was learning for that. Education itself, is pretty great. But, call me a nerd for being interested in every subject (except chemistry).

In my days, people were separated into regular and honors/AP classes. There was a huge difference in the quality of the teaching between the two. It does create a bi-furcated society, I think, between those tracked into universities and everyone else whose blue collar jobs are disappearing. However, that would not be a reason for me to not get myself educated. Ignorance is not something I’d be proud of in myself.

University was great, a lot different than high school. There was nothing easy about it and my major, math, was known to be unforgiving and difficult. I’ve tried re-learning some of the subjects I took on my own, Complex Alegbra for example, and wasn’t able to get through the material. So, I think there’s a lot to be said for us non-Einstein’s whose IQ’s are below 200 going to school. But, that would be to learn liberal arts subjects, not art. I think if you want to go into the creative field, there are a lot more avenues outside of school.

Conspiracy? Or lack of intelligent integration of different types of thinking and learning?

Even in China now, women are outpacing men in terms of college entrances. I don’t think the education system there panders to girls. So, I think you need to stop thinking that the system is unfair for boys, and start accepting that girls are doing better because they are doing better.

How about you plan your own life and have total control of what you want and how it's going to play out.
Cool, I wanna go to school
School = Knowledge
Knowledge = Power
Power = Possibility
Possibility = Variables
Variables = Excitement

Even in China now, women are outpacing men in terms of college entrances. I don’t think the education system there panders to girls.
Actually a large amount of Chinese women attend "courses" in being a good obedient housewife and study ettiquite, child rearing and other studies to help them better serve thier future husbands. It might be possible to find a nation with highly misogynistic tendancies in which men are doing worse in education for any number of reasons, but China was a bad pick, try again.