School, A path to modern enslavement? | INFJ Forum

School, A path to modern enslavement?

Regular Poster
Aug 25, 2018
MBTI
INFJ
Basically the title says it all, when you sign up for school you sign up for in my eyes a pretty boring/standard life.

I absolutely don't mean to disrespect anyone by saying this, if you do go to a "normal" school, that's completely fine.

What i want to achieve with this is maybe to let some of those people see a bigger picture for their own life, that there's much more to life than only going to school, finding a job, finding a girl, marry her and get a house with a ton of debt from all previous things mentioned.

Life really is too short for such a planned out template for us all.

How about you plan your own life and have total control of what you want and how it's going to play out.

Basically the title says it all, when you sign up for school you sign up for in my eyes a pretty boring/standard life.
Not if you study something with a practical application.

I absolutely don't mean to disrespect anyone by saying this, if you do go to a "normal" school, that's completely fine.
An education is generally a path out of poverty for most people.

What i want to achieve with this is maybe to let some of those people see a bigger picture for their own life, that there's much more to life than only going to school, finding a job, finding a girl, marry her and get a house with a ton of debt from all previous things mentioned.
I largely agree.

With all due respect, this quote basically says if you don't have a school life, you're a failure in life, which I am sorry to say that i highly disagree with that. I think that only makes you a success if you actually make something out of your life, and succeeded without school, which is highly possible at a large scale.

Reactions: April and Infjente
With all due respect, this quote basically says if you don't have a school life, you're a failure in life, which I am sorry to say that i highly disagree with that. I think that only makes you a success if you actually make something out of your life, and succeeded without school, which is highly possible at a large scale.

It was just a tease :yum:

I agree with you. Have you made a choice not to get an education?

It was just a tease :yum:

I agree with you. Have you made a choice not to get an education?

My apologies for taking it too serious. Yes i have consciously made the choice to educate myself and not go to school, ever again. It messed me up. I was thinking i'm crazy, but once i began to really know myself, the ones that thought i was were actually the one who were crazy.

My apologies for taking it too serious. Yes i have consciously made the choice to educate myself and not go to school, ever again. It messed me up. I was thinking i'm crazy, but once i began to really know myself, the ones that thought i was were actually the one who were crazy.

How did it mess you up?

How about you plan your own life and have total control of what you want and how it's going to play out.

I agree that there is much more to life than going to school, but getting an education gives you critical tools which you can then use to maximize your freedom - the "much more" that you talk about. It enhances you by giving you more options to choose from later in life.

I don't think education molds people into seeking standardized, planned out lives. There are probably much deeper variables at play here - societal norms, family background, character traits, etc.

If only you had gotten an education. Then you'd be able to see where and why this doesn't hold up :p

Serious reply: No one has total control over how their lives play out. If only!
However, you are right that it is important to carve out your own path, and that you should pursue what is meaningful to you and what makes you happy. It's a perfectly valid choice to forgo education if it doesn't suit you.

I agree that there is much more to life than going to school, but getting an education gives you critical tools which you can then use to maximize your freedom - the "much more" that you talk about. It enhances you by giving you more options to choose from later in life.

I don't think education molds people into seeking standardized, planned out lives. There are probably much deeper variables at play here - societal norms, family background, character traits, etc.

In general, I would support your choice to go to school or not, because you say that you're an autodidact anyway.

However, I will also say that, however much you educate yourself, your ideas need to be tested. There's only so much you can do alone - at some point you will need a critical peer (like a teacher).

And just in terms of experiencing life, I'm going to raise a point in defense of schooling here, especially a broad liberal education.

I feel that the opportunity school gives you to connect with human culture is of inestimable value for your experience of life.

Sure, you can belong in society, and work, and live in the present, but I think you will be missing out on a particularly great feeling.

When you have the chance to read, I mean really read, you become - slowly but inexorably - part of something much greater. You start to connect to the human story. Everything we have been through, the vast landscape of thought and debate and truth seeking opens up before you in a quite astounding way.

You see the shared humanity of thinkers who scale continents and millennia. You become a part of something huge, powerful, profound, awe-inspiring.

You take a step out of society and into the human race.

For me, I wouldn't be able to achieve this without the opportunity and freedom of school. We would do well to defend its value.

@54321 - There is a video on the last page of my forum blog "In Other Words" called "The Story of Icarus". You may want to watch it.

Reactions: Wyote and 54321

This is true, and people just can't see this. It's all a system to feed the top, everything. It needs to change. I don't even understand how some people even if they accidentally stumble upon these videos ignore like nothing is going on and go on with their "life's", just completely ignoring it, no action, most of the times not even a second thought. Sometimes I think people just don't care about anything, and then i start to lose hope. everything gets manipulated over time, and the ones who manipulate it don't even try to hide it anymore. They just put it straight in people's faces because they're so blind, they won't even notice. Some people might know some of these but they don't truly realize how messed up these kinds of things are. A family watches the news "6 year old child is raped and murdered", and then react like "Honey, do we still have some Doritos?" or something. Really!? did you hear what just even happened, nope just another normal news feed. So hearing something from the TV is very different if you were actually there, bu those people probably would just grab their cell phones, not even to call 911, but to film it and put it on YouTube instead.

This is unacceptable.

Reactions: Infjente and Asa
Serious reply:

Thank you, for this.

No one has total control over how their lives play out. If only!
However, you are right that it is important to carve out your own path, and that you should pursue what is meaningful to you and what makes you happy. It's a perfectly valid choice to forgo education if it doesn't suit you.

Yes, I think I just meant to say that everyone should follow their own heart and vision.

In general, I would support your choice to go to school or not, because you say that you're an autodidact anyway.

True, I am. But i am also always open to learn from others. School is just, not for me, to put it simply without going to details again.

However, I will also say that, however much you educate yourself, your ideas need to be tested. There's only so much you can do alone - at some point you will need a critical peer (like a teacher).

This is very true! and it's funny because right now i'm looking for one.

And just in terms of experiencing life, I'm going to raise a point in defense of schooling here, especially a broad liberal education.

I feel that the opportunity school gives you to connect with human culture is of inestimable value for your experience of life.

Yes, It's a great place for human culture. But I don't have time for school, it's just to slow in terms of productivity, i can achieve much more in my own time. Of all the people I met at all schools i couldn't even find one person who is as motivated as me, or just have a own big vision he wants to achieve.

Sure, you can belong in society, and work, and live in the present, but I think you will be missing out on a particularly great feeling.

This is also true, I am noticing I lack this everyday. I really don't even connect with people that well anymore. But i am willing to sacrifice that "great feeling" in return for success.

When you have the chance to read, I mean really read, you become - slowly but inexorably - part of something much greater. You start to connect to the human story. Everything we have been through, the vast landscape of thought and debate and truth seeking opens up before you in a quite astounding way.

You see the shared humanity of thinkers who scale continents and millennia. You become a part of something huge, powerful, profound, awe-inspiring.

You take a step out of society and into the human race.

For me, I wouldn't be able to achieve this without the opportunity and freedom of school. We would do well to defend its value.

I understand and respect that, but me personally i just don't believe in the school system. I think people are way smarter than the current bar that is set, even in the big universities.

True, the fundementals are essential.

Sure, that does also play a role in ones life. But when you are 6-8 hours a day, 5 times a week in school. The majority of your shaping will be in school.

That doesn't even make sense in the first place like 6-8 hours, really? Why has it to be so much. are those hours filled with something useful, or is it really the 2 hours out of 8 that are useful, and the rest is just to keep you there?

Reactions: Vienna and Wyote
Most brilliant thinkers dropped out of school, XD that's why i keep being tempted to do same XDXDXD (actually kind of did it already, not proud by any means) - 2cool4school
It's a mental prison indeed, but you also have to be really smart to do well on your own and find the connections or be already involved in the business (son of a narco, son of a mechanic, son of bill gates), i think that schools give you a helping hand, for example, if you attend to university, at least in my country, we are given scholarships depending on our marks - sure you pay a lot of money for studying there but the scholarships easily cover you for a year or two or more (i'm not totally sure what's the top and ther requisites), you can even use the money for other purposes, now excuse me here because i don't really know the sociopolitical implications of these gifts - they give you opportunities to study abroad in other universities (this implies easier access to activities such as sleeping with baltic girls and welcoming refugees in anarchists comunas) and even an easier access to the local job market as a paid intern (at least it was like that for me) and sometimes if you are lucky you get hired.
I'm pretty sure the european university lifestyle is unmatchable, the parties and the exchanges within our territory are proven to cause depression when they are over. Capitalism is the origin of magical realism, and many people are unable to see that one thing leads to the other, go beyond, dig deeper.
I guess that this doesn't happen everywhere tho, i heard in japan internships are a joke and you don't even get paid for it tho ofc then probably you'll earn more money than most, thing is that most people are well capable of enduring enslavery, and they need it like a drug, and they get money for it, ahh you've heard these things many times already i bet. specifically i've been hearing lots of shit about japan work life but i haven't been there so i'll shut up now.
I also heard that in usa you pay a fucking lot of money but i'm not informed about it to say anything. On the other hand i think in brussels you don't pay more than 300 euros per year of studies.
So what i'm trying to say is that there's an opportunity in every place if you do your research, universities are not that bad, and becoming super wise on your own not that good.
Captain Fantastic movie talks about self education, neo marxism and capitalism in a comical way, you understand that every side is a bit fucked up, so the only truth is to chill the fuck up.

Last edited:

so wait....youre saying that a one size fits all system might not fit a personality type that is just 1% of the population?

yeah i can sympathise with that!

Reactions: 54321