Sacrificing Personal Attachmet for Impartiality | INFJ Forum

Sacrificing Personal Attachmet for Impartiality

Words

Aug 2, 2010
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Hi. What i have here is both a personal problem and a general idea. It's a problem when one values fairness, equity, justice and stuff like that. These are, if i may be abrupt, values that, when taken seriously, require The absolute avoidance of personal attachment towards single individuals. If one is attached to another individual, one will inescapably favor that person over other people in all situations, thus the value of impartiality is insulted. It's that question of either saving a few family members or saving a thousand unknown people. It's an almost impossible scenario, but wha about you? Which would you choose to favor?

My real question is "Which principle is better?" Or what kind of attitude would best suit this clash of values? sigh, what should i do?

Reactions: mochi
I would argue that one cannot effectively experience/express fairness, equality, justice and stuff like that if they DON'T make personal attachments. What would be the impetuous for "valuing" such ideals when you can't express them? Why would you care about fairness if you didn't have some type of attachment to someone? I think in terms of micro and macro. You are vain if you think that your only contribution toward the whole is on the macro level. Who is to say that your personal attachment to someone and thereby affecting their life for the positive with your values (micro level) doesn't have a greater impact on the whole (macro) because they in turn pass good things on?

Life is never about extremes.

To put it succinctly: There is no such thing as an impartial judge. Everyone has different motives for making decisions, and those decisions are based on some sort of emotion; it is possible to work for the greater good, but there's a personal/emotional price to pay.

If it meant saving the world, I would probably be willing to sacrifice myself. If it meant saving the world and sacrificing those I personally care about I'd probably do it, but it would be a decision that would come at great personal sacrifice, and it would destroy me.

I would try in most cases to be impartial and I think, due to less-than-perfect relationships with most of my so-called loved ones, I'd do a fair job of it. But I'd probably feel terrible afterwards.

I do not think either principle is better; neither pure rationality nor pure emotion drives human action. Logic and emotion are best used as complements, as a balanced duality of judgement.

feel with your heart but think with your head.
if you follow this simple rule everything in life becomes clearer.
true story.