just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
Kuwait Times

International News

Russia to sell Yakhont cruise missiles to Syria

Published Date: February 27, 2011
MOSCOW: Russia announced yesterday that it intended to fulfill its contract to supply Syria with cruise missiles despite the turmoil shaking the Arab world and Israel's furious condemnation of the deal. "The contract is in the implementation stage," news agencies quoted Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov as saying. Russia initially agreed to send a large shipment of anti-ship Yakhont cruise missiles to Syria in 2007 under the terms of a controversial deal that was only disclosed by Serdyukov in September 2

The revelation infuriated both Israel and the United States and there had been speculation that Russia would decide to tear up the contract amid the current turmoil plaguing north Africa and the Middle East. Israel-which is still technically in a state of war with Syria and fears its close ties with Iran-suspects that the shipment is ultimately aimed at supplying Hezbollah militants in neighboring Lebanon. The disputed sale is believed to be worth at least $300 million and is meant to see Syria receive 72
cruise missiles in all.

Russia has not officially confirmed making any Yakhont deliveries to date. But Interfax cited one unnamed military source as saying that Russia had already sent Syria two Bastion coastal defense systems that can include up to 36 Yakhont missiles each. The feared systems can only operate when equipped with radar and target detection helicopters and it was not clear from Serdyukov's comments which supplies-if any-had already been received by Syria. Serdyukov's comments come amid Russian efforts to keep its m
ilitary supply lines open to the Middle East despite the wave of revolutions and social unrest currently sweeping the region.

A source in the Russian arms exports industry said this week that the fall of the region's regimes may see the country lose about $10 billion dollars in contracts. Serdyukov himself confirmed that the unrest may force Russia to give up some of its Soviet-era clients in the Arab world. "There is a chance we might lose something," the defense minister said on a visit on visit to Russia's Pacific port city of Vladivostok. "But I hope that the main weapons and military equipment agreements will be fulfilled,
Serdyukov said. Russia's sales to Syria have come under particularly close scrutiny because of fears that Moscow may be also be covertly assisting Damascus' nascent nuclear program.

The head of the country's arms export corporation in October denied that Russia had also signed an agreement to supply Syria with its latest range of MiG-31 fighter jets. But the same agency confirmed in May that Russia was in the process of supplying Syria with a less advanced fighter jet version-the Mig-29 - along with short-range air defense systems and various armored vehicles. Russia is the world's second-largest arms exporter behind the United States and its sales are crucial to the country's efforts
to keep alive a creaking defense industry whose reforms have dragged on for years.

The military this week announced with some fanfare the start of a $650 billion rearmament drive that will add eight nuclear submarines and hundreds of warplanes to the under-equipped force by 2020. Serdyukov said yesterday that Russia intended to arm its nuclear submarines with the high-tech Bulava long-range missiles whose deployment is being delayed by a series of embarrassing test failures. But Russia's last two Bulava launches were successful and Serdyukov said yesterday that the first new missiles wou
ld be dispatched to the country's Pacific Fleet.- AFP

Local News

World leaders participate in Kuwait national celebrations

KUWAIT: The heads of state, presidents and prime ministers from different countries arrived in Kuwait over the weekend to take...
Regional News

Getting tougher, Egypt troops beat protesters

CAIRO: Soldiers used force yesterday to break up a protest demanding more political reform in Egypt, demonstrators said, in the...

Last edited:
Looks like the balance of power is shifting in the world

The west has been able to exploit countries weaker than themselves for a long time now, but that couldn't go on forever

Here's an ex member of the CIA, John Stockwell, talking about some of the havoc the CIA have wreaked around the world. He has books published and many clips on youtube which are worth a look: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ioJGMCr-Y&feature=related"]YouTube - John Stockwell - CIA's War on Humans[/ame]

The CIA is just one weapon the west has weilded against the poor people of the world. Trade embargos, loans from the World Bank and IMF which corrupt official are bribed into taking out on behalf of their country, which the country can't then afford to repay, cultural genocide, christian missionaries, gunboat diplomacy, invasion and occupation, proxy wars, arms trading, puppet governments and many other methods of financial, martial and psychological control have been forced on countries that have lacked the military strength to defend themselves

John Pilger film 'War by other Means' about how the IMF and the Wolrd Bank are used as instruments of control:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5399796928596929639#

Countries have a right to defend themselves and the US needs to review how it wants to interact with the world and to realise the futility of violence as a chosen course of foreign policy

Renewable energy and energy independance needs to form part of the new approach

Last edited:
I love how quickly this turned into an
"I hate the United States" thread. Lol.

I love how quickly this turned into an
"I hate the United States" thread. Lol.

No the message i put across is that violence is not the answer and the US needs a new approach

I also spoke about 'the west' which includes my own country because they are all working together

No the message i put across is that violence is not the answer and the US needs a new approach

This could be said for several countries, could it not?

This could be said for several countries, could it not?

Read my other posts to see how i have made that very point

We live in a world full of violence, most of which is currently coming from one group of people.

We live in a world full of violence, most of which is currently coming from one group of people.

+1

It is of course the CIA and the US government and their allies such as Britain who have slaughtered over a million people in the Iraq conflict alone

Give them independence?

They seem to be rich in natural resources so i doubt Russia would want to let them go.

Funny how Russia's conflicts with seperatists is portrayed in western media as part of a general global war on islam, yet it appears from your OP that Russia are trading weapons with muslims. This is kind of ironic after the US traded weapons with the mujahideen in Afghanistan in order to help them oust the Russian's from muslim lands.....now the shoe is on the other foot and it is the US who has invaded and is occupying muslim lands and it is the Russians seeling arms to the muslims!

It isn't just the Russians though, the US has sold many weapons to muslims and so have the British. Britain has sold weapons as well making over

Last edited:
Read between the lines.

"Five hundred red brick cottages line newly paved streets on the outskirts of the town -- the first of three new suburbs to be built in Ingushetia by 2015 with funds sent from Moscow in a bid to combat extremism.

"We want our youths to be busy, to have indoor plumbing and televisions," Malgobek district head Yeraki Gantyemirov told Reuters, adding that destitute families were given the houses for free late last year.

"You have to stop them from being tempted by terrorism," Gantyemirov said as plastic sheeting covering newly installed windows flapped in the wind behind him."

Some want to be ruled by terrorists.

Last edited:
What am i missing?

Are you saying that Moscow is being generous to these people by trying to buy their aquiescance?

Meanwhile Russia will be exploiting their natural resources; the cost of the 'hearts and minds' operation Russia has launched will be a fraction of the value of what they take out of the country.

What is a 'terrorist'?

I always saw terrorism as an act which was designed to create maximum terror from minimum effort.

If you think about it there are far worse terrorists about than various muslim groups who have publically said that what they want is to see western powers withdrawn from muslim lands

For example the west who spread terror on a massive scale (remember operation 'shock and awe') by bombing, threatening with bombing, invading and occupying countries.

The west perfected the art of causing terror in the second world war when it bombed German cities and dropped the ultimate terror weapon the nuclear bomb on Japan (Germany and Japan were also causing terror and are now assimilated back into the western capitalist agenda). The west carries out terror on an industrial scale. In fact war is an industry in the west.

meanwhile the western media stirs up fear in the minds of their own populations to 'manufacture consent' (Noam Chomsky) for the immoral acts they commit abroad (and at home)

You could argue that we in the west are ruled by some of the biggest terrorists in the world

Last edited:
I am not saying anything, muir. The violence speaks for itself. One can tell a tree by the fruit it bears. off to work

Last edited:
I see it is just like the old days with me and another on this forum. He and I ended our constant bouts with words and I must say it was quite a relief. I do not wish to enter into another situation like that, as I truthfully haven't the time.

SH and OBL? What has that to do with the violence across the world today? They say this is all about people power and the leaders are corrupt. Radical Islam is leading the way.

I will make another prediction; the people that are being led to do what they are doing will find out they are being used and deceived one day. That will be when they turn on the people that are calling them to violence today. That may happen sooner than you might think.

Until then? God help us all.

I see it is just like the old days with me and another on this forum. He and I ended our constant bouts with words and I must say it was quite a relief. I do not wish to enter into another situation like that, as I truthfully haven't the time.
Then what's the point of bringing it up if you can't discuss it?

Reactions: just me

I also spoke about 'the west' which includes my own country because they are all working together

oh jesus christ.

Reactions: just me
Then what's the point of bringing it up if you can't discuss it?

Time can be a funny thing. We sometimes offer our time for the benefit of others. Having moments here and there is a big difference from having the time one may have had at another time. When I feel I should share something, I do try. My inner spirit leads me that way. It would be nice to have the time I used to have posting here. I possibly may not have the patience I usually have in the stressful situation I am currently in, thus leading to my choice of saying much less. It would be better that way until I have endured the path I have chosen.
(Man, this sounds almost like a blog: please forgive.)

I offer a morsel of bread; forgive me if I cannot stay, dine, and make more for tomorrow.

SH and OBL? What has that to do with the violence across the world today? They say this is all about people power and the leaders are corrupt. Radical Islam is leading the way.

I will make another prediction; the people that are being led to do what they are doing will find out they are being used and deceived one day. That will be when they turn on the people that are calling them to violence today. That may happen sooner than you might think.

Until then? God help us all.

If you're talking about the person i think you are, i always thought that person was very well informed and think its a shame they don't post as much anymore...but anyway...

I don't want things to descend to that level either. If you ever think i have stepped over a line, feel free to PM me and i can pull the post or amend it. I have seen a side to you i respect, i just don't share your political stance!

It is a difficult line to walk sometimes when discussing emotionally charged subjects and it can be easy for one party to end up feeling disrespected.....i think i have failed to walk the right side of that line on occaision on this forum and can only hope that the other party took something positive away from the discussion.

You have started quite a few threads and have put some pretty strong views out on the forum (i know i have too). A forum IS a place for discussion though and would get dull pretty quick if everyone remained neutral, but if we do speak our mind then we will always get a response from those with opposing views.

I have tried to balance your perspective with some of my own. I have also tried to back up what i say with info or background so that it isn't just another opinion.

I don't see a problem with us discussing this stuff as long as we communicate with each other, if a line is crossed. I don't expect you to hold back in your arguments however if you believe in what you are saying...just don't expect me to either!

If you're talking about the person i think you are, i always thought that person was very well informed and think its a shame they don't post as much anymore...but anyway...

I don't want things to descend to that level either. If you ever think i have stepped over a line, feel free to PM me and i can pull the post or amend it. I have seen a side to you i respect, i just don't share your political stance!

It is a difficult line to walk sometimes when discussing emotionally charged subjects and it can be easy for one party to end up feeling disrespected.....i think i have failed to walk the right side of that line on occaision on this forum and can only hope that the other party took something positive away from the discussion.

You have started quite a few threads and have put some pretty strong views out on the forum (i know i have too). A forum IS a place for discussion though and would get dull pretty quick if everyone remained neutral, but if we do speak our mind then we will always get a response from those with opposing views.

I have tried to balance your perspective with some of my own. I have also tried to back up what i say with info or background so that it isn't just another opinion.

I don't see a problem with us discussing this stuff as long as we communicate with each other, if a line is crossed. I don't expect you to hold back in your arguments however if you believe in what you are saying...just don't expect me to either!

I would like to think the person I spoke of and I have mutual respect of each other. I miss posts from said person as much as anyone else here.

I appreciate your kindness and understanding that we can go on the same way. We are black and white/night and day/up and down different as it comes. I do hold back things I would like to say, but you most likely do also.
I see no lines crossed and do hope it stays that way. I will say I would much rather read texts copied and pasted than go to links I am unfamiliar with, though.