Russian Adoptee Returned | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Russian Adoptee Returned

In one of the updated stories, I read that he had lived with his mother until age six, when he was removed and placed in the orphanage due to his mother's drinking problem. (If the Hansens knew that, then perhaps they weren't so foolish to believe that the boy was psychologically normal, since he very well might have had a healthy attachment for most of his early life.)

Or maybe the kid wasn't showing signs of psychological abnormality in the orphanage. Maybe the whole ordeal of moving to an entirely new country, away from everything he knew, set him off.

Still, even if he was from an abusive home, does that mean that he shouldn't have been adopted just because he's at a higher risk of psychological issues? Is he doomed to a life of not knowing a loving family just because of the abusive environment he might have experienced in the first six years of his life?

With psychological abnormalities, sometimes it really is difficult to tell. Especially if the orphanage itself isn't equipped to monitor for such behavior.

Regardless of what the facts are concerning this case, the bottom line is, that little boy needed help. :/

To be very honest, I don't think it's such a good idea to adopt kids around the world like that. If you want to adopt a kid, adopt the closest one in your area; there are always plenty of kids in need of you. Why would I suggest that? Because there is higher probability for this kid to grow up and reconnect with lost ancestors and family roots. I am not conservative with land/human rooting; on the contrary; but in the specific case of adopting, it gives better probability for the kid to find connections. Feeling rootless in life is not a very pleasant feeling, the way the world is still organized; you can trust me on that.

Also to use the opportunity to share my contempt for the practice of treating poor nations and countries as slavery pool, for any human resourcing. For buying cheap brides, for code monkeys, for baby markets, for cheap organ donations etc etc. Its' very very VERY ugly, sorry. I'm ashamed to be part of such historical period.

Reactions: testing
Or maybe the kid wasn't showing signs of psychological abnormality in the orphanage. Maybe the whole ordeal of moving to an entirely new country, away from everything he knew, set him off.

That's possible. But then you would have to explain why it took so long after the adoption for the boy to be "set off."
Children with certain psychological issues typically have a "honeymoon period" for a time after the placement, when they are behaving very well and getting settled in the environment. That seems consistent with the descriptions of the timeline in Hansen's case. Reports were good back in January, and bad in March.

Still, even if he was from an abusive home, does that mean that he shouldn't have been adopted just because he's at a higher risk of psychological issues?
There isn't anything inherently wrong with him being adopted, but extra care should be taken to place him with a family capable of dealing with unusual issues. The Hansens actually seem to be good candidates by most criteria (being physically capable and lacking other children), but evidently they were not up to the task.

To be very honest, I don't think it's such a good idea to adopt kids around the world like that. If you want to adopt a kid, adopt the closest one in your area; there are always plenty of kids in need of you. .

I agree 100% with you. They should adopt close to home. The problem, as I have heard from several of my friends who have adopted, is how extremely hard it is to adopt in this country. This is why so many look to adopt from other countries. I don't pretend to understand the reasons for this, but making it an easier, faster process would help keep people looking in this country.

I realize you want to place a child in a proper home, but surely finding a kid a permanent home is better than letting foster parents collect them like dolls just for the government money as many do.