Reverse Embarassment | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Reverse Embarassment

This is very interesting. How do you feel about being in awkward social situations yourself?
Also, superbad and napolean dynamite were VERY hard to watch.

They are usually worse, and I avoid them like the plauge. If I end up falling into one strong enough. I will remove myself from the location it happened in for a while (depending on the context and or magnitute, it could be anywhere from a few minutes, to a few months).

They are usually worse, and I avoid them like the plauge. If I end up falling into one strong enough. I will remove myself from the location it happened in for a while (depending on the context and or magnitute, it could be anywhere from a few minutes, to a few months).
yikes!
I used to be very much the same, but I could avoid the place by just retreating inwards. I used to be too scared to raise my hand in class, and I still am, but I try and get my rational mind to take over for a short period.

I still don't know how I got to reading poetry in front of my old high school class... I was always a wreck afterward.

alright. sorry, I've got to ask every time I have doubts. Call me Spock.
Now, to the more important question: why?

I'll highlight the text that is provoking it.

Whenever I watch an film or even read a book where there is something embarrassing happening to a character, I feel uncomfortable. I usually can't watch, or I blush, but either way I almost feel as if I'm experiencing the situation. It'll usually happen in a comedy or something. Protagonists always make fools of themselves in comedies.
It also applies to real life. If someone is on stage, and totally blanks out, I have to turn away. It's like my eyes don't like the taste of social uneasiness. I feel embarrassed.

does anyone feel the same way, or about other situations? Have you ever felt uncomfortable at certain kinds of humor, or anything like that?

thing is, I can watch extreme violence no problem. Usually people have to turn away in the clockwork orange rape scene, but it doesn't bother me too much. Some look away when someone gets physically hurt, I can't look when someone is getting emotionally hurt.

Is this more of an INFP trait?

Those bolded words seem to ooze embarrasing emotions. I can't help but be affected by them (empathetically).

I'll highlight the text that is provoking it.

Those bolded words seem to ooze embarrasing emotions. I can't help but be affected by them (empathetically).
for some reason, this made me think of writing a poem with the right verbage to make myself vomit from the embarrassment. I find the power of words very very interesting.

After reading the selections, I found myself feeling similar. I usually visualize what I read, but not when I write.

for some reason, this made me think of writing a poem with the right verbage to make myself vomit from the embarrassment. I find the power of words very very interesting.

After reading the selections, I found myself feeling similar. I usually visualize what I read, but not when I write.

Write it!

Yes, I usually feel embarrassed for others, but only in movies. I don't really know how to explain it but irl if someone does something embarrassing (especially in front of others) I try to alleviate that embarrassment by either poking fun at them in a light-hearted way, or by drawing attention to myself somehow (It's kinda heard to explain).

Ditto on the feeling, reminds me of every time I watch the flinstones or fraiser. I have to changed the channel as soon as the "embarrassing misunderstanding" comes up and tune in for the last 5 minutes of the show.

In junior high my not-too-smart friend tried stapling her project to the concrete wall... I looked on in a mix of horror and embarrassment after her first few tries (and it just not getting through to her) then I went up and helped her out. I felt embarrassed for her and the both of us.

I get it, it's called immersion.

I do it.

Most common is when my dad mocks other members of the family.

Whenever I watch an film or even read a book where there is something embarrassing happening to a character, I feel uncomfortable. I usually can't watch, or I blush, but either way I almost feel as if I'm experiencing the situation. It'll usually happen in a comedy or something. Protagonists always make fools of themselves in comedies.
It also applies to real life. If someone is on stage, and totally blanks out, I have to turn away. It's like my eyes don't like the taste of social uneasiness. I feel embarrassed.

does anyone feel the same way, or about other situations? Have you ever felt uncomfortable at certain kinds of humor, or anything like that?

thing is, I can watch extreme violence no problem. Usually people have to turn away in the clockwork orange rape scene, but it doesn't bother me too much. Some look away when someone gets physically hurt, I can't look when someone is getting emotionally hurt.

Is this more of an INFP trait?

HAHA....

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Even when I watch sporting events I feel sorry for the other team when their opponents score and I cringe with embarassment if I watch an athlete mess up. I loathe violent movies because I almost feel the pain in a very real, physical way. Gah... Yep, I know exactly what you mean.

I believe that since everyone has experienced embarrassment in one form or another, we can all relate to the near-uncontrollable feeling to run away, or sink into the floor, or burst into tears. You can easily relate to these common scenarios, and you wouldn't desire it upon anyone.
INFJs are known for their extreme and deep empathy. I find that I get easily embarrassed for people, and that it's something I've had to concentrate on in order to suppress those feelings to look away or squirm.
Regarding the rape scene, I would assume you haven't raped anyone, so you can't exactly relate on a personal level. As terrible as rape is, it's not as common as normal, honest-to-goodness embarrassment.

Generally speaking, I have to turn away from violent or embarrassing scenes. I become really anxious and tense so much so that I notice differences in my blood pressure and heart rate. I cannot comfortably watch violent scenes either. I cannot watch such events IRL either, I feel even more uncomfortable and distraught especially with violence. I never got how some of my schoolmates could watch to people fight and then treat the incident like some show; real people are getting hurt not images on a screen! And then they would go on talking about as though it was " so awesome"

I also abstain from much of what most call humorous as it either offends and upsets me or I know that someone is most likely going to be offended. And I am just completely irked when someone hears that their joke hurt someone and instead of apologising they call the person "oversensitive" or tell the person to "lighten up". Quite frankly I do not see how hurting someone emotionally or physically can yield any sort of pleasure

Yes I hate to watch others frustration. Especially if I feel like it is unfair.

I get embarrassed as well, or feel ashamed, but I also tend to feel almost any emotion that is brought onto the screen. I also tend to tear very easily, even during moments that are meant to be exciting or funny.

But I've always considered it, as chaz mentioned, as simply being prone to immersing myself into the plot and character development unconsciously. I get overly attached to characters in most films, shows or games and the reason(s) is probably too complex to ever be accurately defined.

That scene in the mist when they beat to death that solider had me yelling at the tv. Fortunately I was with a friend and sister and it was my birthday so all three of us yelled in horror and cursed the old lady, my friend heidi stating,

"MAN, that woman's a bitch!"

Yeppers. Was just explaining to someone the other day how much I feel and how I feel what others feel. That what they feel towards towards their bf/gf I feel for everyone. And I feel for my bf 10x what they feel for theirs.

Our emotions and intuition seem to be hypersensitive as INFJ's.

Last edited:
Heh, I was discussing this with someone just last week. We were watching a show called Coupling with tends to build up on tension, especially the sexual variety, and this particular episode ended with one of the characters quite humiliated in front of people in his office. It'd been built up so much that I was embarrassed for him but also partially wanted to turn away from the screen.
There have been many times something similar would occur while watching something, I know it's silly but I just can't help it in most cases. :m190: