IndigoSensor

Product Obtained
Retired Staff
Nov 12, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2 sx/so/sp
It's commonly known that online test, even professional typology tests (MBTI, JCF, Enneagram, etc.) are not the most reliable thing in the world. At best they can be good indicators of ones type, but it is not the end all be all answer. It's also not uncommon to have results that are slightly different from what your true type is. In rarer cases, you can have completely different results from what your true type is. The most common cause of this, is simply not understanding the questions, and or not knowing your true self well enough to answer accurately. There's also the possibly of just lying.

Excluding these cases, there is a question to this that I seldom, if ever see asked: Why? Why do some individuals, test differently (and they are answering truthfully) from their actual true type. It's commonly stated that your functions (in the case of JCF) are manifesting in slightly different ways. That's wonderful, but it doesn't really explain much. It simply makes a broad statement that your doing something different. Why though. There are usually some noticeable patterns with individuals who test differently from their true type, so there has to be some sort of psychological reasoning, or behavioral reasoning behind this phenomenon. What's different about them, to cause them to test so out of the range from what is considered "normal" under the parameters of the test. Bare in mind, not all tests are created equal. Nevertheless, the tests wouldn't contain stock if they didn't have some truth to them. Because of this you can't say that the answer is the flawed tests themselves.

Do I have the answer to why this occurs for some? No, not even slightly. As such, I want to open the floor to discussion on this matter. I feel that this is a very important question that, should an answer be found, could create some very prominent developments to understanding functions, type, and the tests themselves at a deeper level. So I ask, what are your thoughts on this.

Reactions: uuu
Personality is not static. Some say that your MBTI never truly changes, and while this could be true in the long term, local fluctuations always come up that will make you test differently.
Though I'm usually an INFJ 4w3 (or whatever) on some days my feelings and tendencies change. I'm not a machine, and cannot be expected to act the same way every time a situation comes up. Though MBTI tries to account for this with the functions order, I believe I'm perfectly capable of using Fi and other functions that would never be listed for me.
And finally, sometimes we try to imitate the people we idolize. Though I'm not an INFP, I hold a lot of respect for people who are, and at times I might act different on the test as though I am stating a goal for who I am. I suppose this ties into the not understanding the questions, or answering in ideals and not facts.

It's commonly known that online test, even professional typology tests (MBTI, JCF, Enneagram, etc.) are not the most reliable thing in the world. At best they can be good indicators of ones type, but it is not the end all be all answer. It's also not uncommon to have results that are slightly different from what your true type is. In rarer cases, you can have completely different results from what your true type is. The most common cause of this, is simply not understanding the questions, and or not knowing your true self well enough to answer accurately. There's also the possibly of just lying.

Excluding these cases, there is a question to this that I seldom, if ever see asked: Why? Why do some individuals, test differently (and they are answering truthfully) from their actual true type. It's commonly stated that your functions (in the case of JCF) are manifesting in slightly different ways. That's wonderful, but it doesn't really explain much. It simply makes a broad statement that your doing something different. Why though. There are usually some noticeable patterns with individuals who test differently from their true type, so there has to be some sort of psychological reasoning, or behavioral reasoning behind this phenomenon. What's different about them, to cause them to test so out of the range from what is considered "normal" under the parameters of the test. Bare in mind, not all tests are created equal. Nevertheless, the tests wouldn't contain stock if they didn't have some truth to them. Because of this you can't say that the answer is the flawed tests themselves.

Do I have the answer to why this occurs for some? No, not even slightly. As such, I want to open the floor to discussion on this matter. I feel that this is a very important question that, should an answer be found, could create some very prominent developments to understanding functions, type, and the tests themselves at a deeper level. So I ask, what are your thoughts on this.

I think that several people DO wonder why, myself included.

The last test I took, I came out as INFJ. I have also tested INFP, and INTJ which to many people here I'm sure sounds ridiculous.

I have tended to avoid focusing too much on this topic because I am extremely busy with very serious things in my real life, but still find myself pondering the subject of what my true type is; most of the time it is in the back of my mind.

I would love to get to the bottom of this! I really want to find my box.

Reactions: IndigoSensor
The tests aren't directly testing for type, but for traits and preferences thought to be associated with particular types. You would expect the tests to be wrong a lot of the time, because they don't have high validity. You would expect to see differences between people who test differently to others of the same type, and similarities between people of other types who test similarly, because in respect to what the test is measuring they simply are different/similar.

For a more comprehensive answer to this question we would of course have to look carefully at what differences the test actually are measuring for, and how well this lines up with type. Also, maybe you really are a different type to what you think.

Last edited:
I think one thing which is very underestimated is the impact of early experiences on function use. If a particular function is stressed and emphasized quite a bit, then it will feel like natural default. So someone may answer quiz perspectives by thinking about how they think or feel they naturally operate when it's really not natural, but learned preference. Where I'm from originally, we are a very INTJ society, so NFPs traits were not very appreciated so if i took MBTI at that time, i'm sure my tests would definitely involve a probable INTJ result just because it would've been ingrained in us to think as TJs. Not much tolerance for NFP personality traits so those aspects of a personality would more easily be suppressed in favor of more desirable traits. So, it's important to consider early childhood experiences, socialization, and conditioning when evaluating these results.

We would have to take each test specifically and analyze why each question could be answered in a certain way. My opinion is that ways of answering are often influenced by mood, and gaining new experiences which change our outlook and priorities as time passes.

Simply because the questions suck?

Friendly doesn't mean F
Organized doesn't mean J
Jerk doesn't mean T
Intelligent does not mean N
Stoopid doesn't mean S
Zomg I cant accept anything new-ness and detail freakness does NOT mean S
"Omg no Jaake why'd you dieee </3" does not mean F
Worshipper of fairies and kitties doesn't make you NF... okay bad example.

Also, older people will usually have more problems as their different functions are more developped.

And finally culture, for someone who sees being introverted as absolutely wrong, even if that person is really an introvert, will most likely test as an extrovert.

Last edited:
Simply because the questions suck?

Friendly doesn't mean F
Organized doesn't mean J
Jerk doesn't mean T
Intelligent does not mean N
Stoopid doesn't mean S
Zomg I cant accept anything new-ness and detail freakness does NOT mean S
"Omg no Jaake why'd you dieee </3" does not mean F
Worshipper of fairies and kitties doesn't make you NF... okay bad example.

Also, older people will usually have more problems their different functions are more developped.

And finally culture, for someone who sees being introverted as absolutely wrong, even if that person is really an introvert, will most likely test as an extrovert.

Thanks for mentioning this, as I had wondered about it myself.

Also, older people will usually have more problems as their different functions are more developped.

what i said :D

When I took the official MBTI, our instructor told us:

1. Test is 75% accurate
2. Test results will be skewed if you are depressed, going through an extreme lifestyle change or have recently experienced a traumatic event
3. While individuals typically don't have major personality changes, some slight changes do occur as we age,and we tend to move a bit closer the opposite preference
4. Environment does have impact and you may develop other functions more strongly than those usually indicated
5. Everyone is capable of all functions, MBTI simply indicates preference based off typical behavior

I almost always test as INFJ...but once I tested INTJ, and another time I tested INFP. Hope this helps a little. :)

Reactions: deivejek2|9
I always test INFJ, INTJ or INxJ, however looking at cognitive functions there is a possibility that I could be the phycological definition of an introvert yet use mostly extroverted functions. I do think society has a large part to play as does experience. I would say that I personally was a lot less skeptical of mysticism for example before I delved into psycho-telekinesis, astral travel and Numerology. I'm more keen to focus on abstracts that at least have some of what I consider to be logical or scientific backing because there is just to much time wasted otherwise, I do tend to follow the logic of quantum physics (in the less broad range sense), evolutionary phycology, and hypnotism as far as abstracts go. On tests though many of the questions can be phrased in stereotypical ways like "Are you adventure seeking" or "do you enjoy crowds"