Reaching for the unknown | INFJ Forum

Reaching for the unknown

Naleena

Jan 29, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Do you ever feel like your soul is reaching out for an answer to a question that you aren't aware of? Like it's deeper and more complex than you can describe or what you can comprehend with your mind? It's more of a feeling...a soulful prayer in the form of emotions that don't have words. I find myself longing for some kind of divine wisdom or contact. I feel so out of touch.

Oh noes the matrix haz yous!

that certain knowing cannot be comprehended by the mind, through thinking or with words. it may come as a feeling, a state within you which already resides. you need not reach out for it because it can be felt within and always is within you.
i love how you say, "It's more of a feeling...a soulful prayer in the form of emotions that don't have words". then you mention, "I feel so out of touch", but in reference to your previous quote you don't seem out of touch at all. :)

You can try automatic writing to help with this. When I feel lost or bewildered or have that soul need to express wth the universe I open up a word file (or notebook) and start writing. Write as if writing a letter to the divine force - the universe - God if you will. This may take the form of questions you want answered, which will be conscious writing to begin with. When you have said what you want to say or asked what you want to know, you then let the answers write themselves automatically, simply by allowing the words to flow. It can be an amazing and uplifting process and you may be astounded by the 'response' you get.

There are some famous examples of this, including 'Conversations with God' by Neale Walsch and 'A Course in Miracles'.

Do you ever feel like your soul is reaching out for an answer to a question that you aren't aware of? Like it's deeper and more complex than you can describe or what you can comprehend with your mind? It's more of a feeling...a soulful prayer in the form of emotions that don't have words. I find myself longing for some kind of divine wisdom or contact. I feel so out of touch.

I feel it everyday Naleena and it gets stronger and stronger but I guess I'm just too coward to listen to it. I know if I listen to these voices they will tell me what to do, I just don't know who is right anymore, sometimes I question my own values and morals because they don't make sense and I want them to. Like you say everything I feel inside are just emotions, not any emotions(anger, hate,happiness, disgust) but a more intense one that is not even a word. When I see people die or about to die I wonder if that's how they saw themselves their lives were going to be. The fragility of a human being is so pathetic that I feel pity when I kill a fly or a roach and say that we share the same humanistic fate, we are as fragile as they are. Anyone can come to my house and kill me this instant just like that and I can't do a damn thing about it. I do not fear death but I do fear ignorance. We are all so weak, we depend on so many things such as oxygen, water, food and all other things. We don't contribute anything to mother Earth we are just destroying it. Even worse, I'm not contributing anything to mother Earth I'm just destroying it. No one else should be responsible of their own fate but oneself. I keep blaming other people of my own wrongdoings but it is in me who decides, I'm my own God in a sense. I'm capable of manipulating my own body and do terrible or incredible things. My mind is a tool that this God(myself) is using to affect my surroundings and this body's choices. I have the power to pick a gun and end life including my own. I have the power to be ignorant if I chose to. But who the fuck is "me"? The body that I'm manipulating or "God"?

My conclusion is this one. I want to change the world? LMAO who gives a fuck! The world doesn't want to be changed. Many people have died trying. Will I change the world? Of course I will because those people who died trying died with a smile on their lips because they weren't doing it for others, they were doing it for themselves.

Back to topic hem hem, So Naleena, yes I agree with what you're saying :D

Yes, sometimes overpoweringly. Maybe someday you'll find something; I've had a few times in my life where I've felt as if I've found something, a sort of immense power within me that feels as if I've finally reached that point...but those are few. Mostly, that feeling of looking for something is always there...

Keep searching

I wish I had your passion. I haven't thought about 'reaching for the unknown' for so long. I've grown apathetic toward the mystical, as opposed to formerly being obsessed by it.
Your OP is so aptly written, I couldn't have expressed the concept better myself. I know what you mean, and I wished I cared for those things again. Life seems to have lost it's magic.

It's a question that you can't but into words, and so becomes a feeling because it's so deep within yourself. Automatic writing may afford you some clarity. Meditation, too. But don't stop feeling and questioning.

I thought maybe it was death, the unknown welling up in me, but I'm not so sure.

I feel like that all the time. It's really crappy. I can't handle it. I used to cut myself, and made a sort of alternate, INTJ personalities that was emotionless, which I still retain. It feels really dodgy admitting this as well.

It just feels so ... profound. I know exactly what you mean. Part of me wishes I had no idea what you meant, but then again, what's the point of living if it was going to be easy?

I just wish I didn't need the alternate personality. I always try to reason with myself and all that type of stuff. That's why I write. It helps. I guess we all just have to deal with it.
I know exactly what you mean, and it's hard.
I consider myself very weak, because I can't deal with it by myself. I have to revert to my emotionless INTJ, and keep such a tight control, which just makes it even harder. If I let go for even a second, it pulls me away with the depth, and I have to do something drastic. I'm actually having real problems with it at the moment.
Do any of you have a sort of protective outer shell and/or personality?

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who took thier time to reply to my message. I really needed someone to listen and I appreciate you for doing that and for your suggestions. I will try the automatic writing :)

Perpetual Liar you asked if I had " a sort of protective outer shell and/or personality." I'm not quite sure I understand the question entirely but, I will try to answer. I try not to shut down my feelings. For me, it is who I am. I am careful though because I realize not everyone is like me. So in that way, yes, I am protective. Protective of myself and the other person.

I am very open to others and I try to relate to people on a level that they are at. There are very few people who I know that I can be totally open with as far as my feelings and how I see the world. If were to be truely honest with everyone, I would probabley shut down the communication I have with some. It's not that I lie to them but, more that I don't tell them everything. For example, I am not a christian. I find truth in many different faiths but, if someone who is a christian is going through a hard time in thier life, I try to relate to them in their own "spiritual language" without what I consider the dogma of that religion.

Another way I protect myself is not to go to crowded places. Especially at christmas time. I pick up on other people's emotions and it's like .......hmmmmmm......throwing holy water on a vampire? Or someone scratching thier nails down a chalk board?
PS Sorry if the post was too long.

Last edited:
I think the protective shell is a little necessary. I mean, it's not always as apparent; I tend to revert naturally to a sort of "in-between" where I basically become numb to myself. Unfortunately, when you're numb to others because of external forces at the same time, it becomes a problem...and when you're using the shell, you're kind of skirting around something very deep inside of you, and that shows in ways you wouldn't think -- stress, sickness, etc.

It's very hard balancing that feeling.

That deep feeling you get is almost as if you are feeling a frequency. Meditation will help you to tune in.

Yeah I get that feeling, but I tend to think that the close I am to finding the 'answer' the further and further I'm falling away from reality. Lately I've been feeling it quite strongly and it takes everything in my power to clutch to the physical world around me. I feel like something is calling me, but to chase it I would have to give up everything I've grown to love and know, something I am not yet ready to do. I'm probably just going crazy but I thought I might share this in case you can relate.

I feel like that all the time. Its really annoying but I've learnt to live with it. I've been looking for that thing which would relieve this feeling since I was 6 but have never been able to find it. :/

@MF: I know what you mean. Sometimes, when I feel as if I really am getting closer to the answer, I feel almost as if I'm in another person's body. Not a pretty feeling

YES!

I've felt this for i dont know how long. and Have been meditating on it Lately to understand it.

but...its so much more than what your saying to me. But that i cant talka bout without overtalking about myself so ill just yes i feel it. All the time. and...idk im just gunna have to listen and trust it.

i believe if its calling me, its wants me in some way. some thru time, patience, and determination i will have it....

There was something that I once heard,

"You can't ask a question that you don't already know the answer to."

There was something that I once heard,

"You can't ask a question that you don't already know the answer to."

Hold on.......MY brain hurts:m097:

Im sueing!

I will see you in court Mr.!:m123:

pssst whitefire, I think you mean mrs